Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2007, 07:55 AM

28 posts, read 44,833 times

Advertisements

My job has informed me that I will be relocating to our North Jersey office. Commuting to the office in Englewood is not an option from where I currently am, so I was looking at the "fun" areas, and know that Hoboken is supposed to be a lot of fun. I am a 23 yr old., white male, with a 22 yr. old white female girlfriend who will be visiting me periodically wherever I move. She works in the city, so I am looking for a place that is close to transportation so that it is convenient for her when she sees me. Also, I want to be close so that on the weekend I am a hop, skip, and a jump away from the fun of the city.

The problem is I cannot afford Hoboken, and Weehawken seems to be pretty expensive as well. I can spend near $1000 for a 1BR, and have read some not so good things about Union City. So there is always the east side of West NY and Guttenberg, but then the issue becomes, where do I park?

It seems craigslist.org has a lot of listings, and I've done my research and feel the Heights might be the right move. I need some insight on what the good areas are, bad areas are, and general consensus on if this would be a good move or not.

I am not interested in Bayonne, so please refrain from mentioning that.

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2007, 09:14 AM

828 posts, read 3,138,455 times
Ok, so if you are not interested in Bayonne then forget about the Heights.
Bayonne is much nicer.
Have you thought about going a little further North, say Cliffside Park?

Old 10-17-2007, 09:35 AM

1,215 posts, read 3,291,036 times
I am going to go against the grain here -- why not Fort Lee? What about Edgewater? I don't think Weehawken is out of the question. You may not get the "A" high-rise, mid-rise, apt., etc. for $1k a month, but you can be in those towns. Private homes with an apt., 2 families, 3, etc. I don't know how much the garden apartments are going for, but there are several I would look at. I would also expand my search beyond craigslist.

This also becomes a lot more convenient in commuting to Englewood. I know that section of Bergen County intimately. It is a great area for many different demographics, but I've always felt more so for younger people.

Personally, no offense intended toward anyone, I would pass on JC Heights. Maybe in another 5 years or 10, I don't know. I would prefer Cliffside Park, Fairview, and easily Fort Lee or Edgewater over WNY or Guttenberg. Edgewater could present an issue on the commute -- heading to Englewood you might get GWB traffic but that's avoidable if you know the local roads. Which part of Englewood are you heading to? How is your commute now?

Old 10-17-2007, 09:42 AM

28 posts, read 44,833 times
Currently I commute to Edison from East Windsor, near Princeton. So I drive about 40 minutes each way and do not mind it. I do not mind driving up to 40 minutes still as it doesn't bother me at all. I just want to be close to the action (Hoboken, NYC), but I don't need to be in the action.

I actually did find an apartment, $1000, part of a 6-family house building, in Weehawken. I am going to check that out on Saturday.

I just set up an appointment to see 3 apartments in a building on Lafayette Street (between Palisade in Cliffside Park Ave and Anderson Ave). How is Cliffside Park? How is the area?

I found another building with a 1BR in West NY, located at 6045 Kennedy Blvd. E., bad or good area?

Also, Ridgefield Park? Lyndhurst?

Old 10-17-2007, 02:02 PM

209 posts, read 1,683,806 times
You could try the parts of the Heights right by the light rail elevators, as they are pretty accessible to Hoboken. But you would have to look around a bit to find something for $1000 a month. You might also be able to find a small place in downtown JC for that much, but that would be a bit of a stretch (maybe $1200). But I agree that looking off the waterfront Port Imperial part of Weehawken might be a good idea, you might be able to find something there.

Old 10-17-2007, 02:22 PM

1,215 posts, read 3,291,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeD View Post
Currently I commute to Edison from East Windsor, near Princeton. So I drive about 40 minutes each way and do not mind it. I do not mind driving up to 40 minutes still as it doesn't bother me at all. I just want to be close to the action (Hoboken, NYC), but I don't need to be in the action.

I actually did find an apartment, $1000, part of a 6-family house building, in Weehawken. I am going to check that out on Saturday.

I just set up an appointment to see 3 apartments in a building on Lafayette Street (between Palisade in Cliffside Park Ave and Anderson Ave). How is Cliffside Park? How is the area?

I found another building with a 1BR in West NY, located at 6045 Kennedy Blvd. E., bad or good area?

Also, Ridgefield Park? Lyndhurst?
In these areas, you are not only close to the action, but they have their own action. I lived around the corner from Lafayette St. in CP for many years. I am pretty sure I know the building you are talking about. I had a friend who lived there until she got married. How much are the 1BR's there? Maybe I am way off, but I think you can do better. It's off the beatin' path, but that might be OK. You are surrounded by (not in the building) older people, retirees, a few younger familes, etc.

CP is nice town, bordered by Fort Lee, Fairview, Palisades Park, etc. A lot of side-by-side homes, up and down streets between Palisade Ave and Anderson. Newer 2 families, duplex, side-by-side's, etc. have been built in recent years as well.

If you are looking in CP -- check out the building on Anderson (it might still be in Fort Lee, but within a few hundred feet of the border), somewhat diaglonal/across the street from "The Greenhouse". It's called ______ Arms I think. I forget the exact name. Older building, maybe 8 floors. Very nice interior apartments -- older, but crown molding, high ceilings, etc. The building went condo but there are apparently many rentals. Also, ask what the 1BR's in the Greenhouse are going for. I would think they are in the $1500 neighborhood, but at least you'll get a gauge of the marketplace. There's another midrise building, kind of on a street which appears to be a dead end, but bends around right by the building. It's a one way street I think and it might dump you out onto Lafayette or just off. Drive up and down all of those streets.

There are several other buildings in CP -- midrises -- no-name buildings that often have rentals. Spend a lot of time there and drive around. It can pay off big time.

Ridgefield Park, I know well also. I lived there for a couple of years and have many friends there. There's a few spots that are OK to live. Most of the town is more of a "local" kind of town, shot and beer, etc. If you want details on where in RP to look, let me know. I would stick to Fort Lee and CP.

In Fort Lee, if you are interested in a studio or 1BR -- and don't mind being right on the GWB, there's a building called La Croix (or La Crosse). It's part of the Bridge Plaza (North) complex. Check it out -- all studios, 1BR's on the corners of each floor (I think). Indoor parking, pool, right near downtown, etc. The studio might be in your price range. You might love something and decide to go a bit more. Let me know if you want some additional info -- and by the way, I am not a real estate broker looking to sell anyone anything. LOL.

Old 10-17-2007, 09:45 PM

204 posts, read 635,173 times
I'm in a similar situation to you, single, with gf with a budget of around $1000 and found a place in the Heights close by Journal Square Path. I move from a good part of Greenville due to roommate situation. The place is a one bedroom with all utilities included in a brand new multi-unit house. Even though it is on the ground floor, it look really homey because it is new. Also the neighborhood looks really nice with mostly new houses on the block. And you don't need parking permit either which is a plus for a out-of-state person like me. The reason I choose Heights over Journal Square is because for similiar price, I would have to live in a shiet hole in Journal Sq. I haven't move in yet but I already love it. So I'll say Heights shouldn't be bad from what you say but who knows what is out there, maybe you'll get lucky. God forbids that you get unlucky.

Old 10-18-2007, 12:43 AM

6 posts, read 66,138 times
I actually just moved to JC Heights earlier this month and haven't had any complaints. I live in a 1BR and pay $1000/month, which includes utilities.

I'm about 5 blocks west of the 9th/Congress st. light rail station as well. Granted, I'm not really a fan of the shops nearby on Central Ave., but I can go elsewhere to shop if I really want to, and I don't eat out all too often.

So, for now I'll say good.

Good luck in your search.

-Kevin

Last edited by ihave206bones; 10-18-2007 at 12:54 AM..

Old 10-19-2007, 08:54 PM

15 posts, read 78,279 times
6045 kennedy blvd east is a good area but a pain to find parking.

Old 03-02-2008, 06:38 AM

1 posts, read 10,280 times
Thumbs down bayonne isnt so nice after all

Quote:
Originally Posted by fischfan13 View Post
Ok, so if you are not interested in Bayonne then forget about the Heights.
Bayonne is much nicer.
Have you thought about going a little further North, say Cliffside Park?
PPL overate the City of Bayonne.....If it so nice why dont you go on down to The Projects and check it out... Andrew streets the streets are dirty and broken down garbage everywhere....Thats nice haaa...Or let see why not move near the Public high school....there you get high schoolers fighting and cursing, screaming....Pathetic
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey