U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-17-2007, 09:21 AM

1 posts, read 5,392 times

Advertisements

Hi All,

My husband has been working in NYC for the past few years. He commutes home to Toronto, Canada every weekend. We are thinking it's now time to make a permanent move. My question for all of you is where are the best towns for a family to move to within a 45 minute or less commute to the city?
I have two children 6 and 4 who will need a good school. I would also like the place to be safe and be self-contained. It would be great to find a place that has a thriving main street and is family driven, good restaurants and shops. I don't know anything about Connecticut or Jersey but have been out in Long Island a few times in the Freeport and Fire Island area. I am looking forward to your expert advice!!
Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2007, 09:34 AM

5,079 posts, read 7,243,923 times
Once again, come to Central Jersey. Everything is minutes away. Including the train. Great restaurants, malls, shops, etc. We have good schools, some towns like mine with low taxes (yes, 5k per year is cheap for NJ taxes), family type neighborhoods. In fact, I wouldn't be selling my house if I didn't have to AND wish I could take my neighbors with me.

Old 10-17-2007, 10:04 AM

2,093 posts, read 4,868,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sfitzhughes View Post
Hi All,

My husband has been working in NYC for the past few years. He commutes home to Toronto, Canada every weekend. We are thinking it's now time to make a permanent move. My question for all of you is where are the best towns for a family to move to within a 45 minute or less commute to the city?
I have two children 6 and 4 who will need a good school. I would also like the place to be safe and be self-contained. It would be great to find a place that has a thriving main street and is family driven, good restaurants and shops. I don't know anything about Connecticut or Jersey but have been out in Long Island a few times in the Freeport and Fire Island area. I am looking forward to your expert advice!!
I would look at Westfield Nj but
that all depends on your budget.
You could also look in Cranford,Clark,Rahway (but the schools are the ?)
Colonia ,Metuchen to name a few more....In other words you have plenty of options in Central Nj and again it would depend on your budget

Old 10-17-2007, 10:35 AM

3,269 posts, read 8,721,264 times
Quote:
Hi All,

For me the choice of CT, NJ or LI depends on where he is working in NYC...Midtown, Wall street, Upper East, Upper West?

Old 10-18-2007, 09:26 PM

11 posts, read 42,744 times
Hi All,

Try Short Hills (about 35 minutes from Penn Station), Maplewood (about 30 minutes) or South Orange (about 25 minutes). These place are all great, have good schools and are so close to the city that you don't really feel like you are living in the suburbs.

Old 10-19-2007, 07:23 AM

9,598 posts, read 9,464,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by savera_98 View Post
Hi All,

Try Short Hills (about 35 minutes from Penn Station), Maplewood (about 30 minutes) or South Orange (about 25 minutes). These place are all great, have good schools and are so close to the city that you don't really feel like you are living in the suburbs.
I agree, these towns are closer than central Jersey. Which of these three towns you pick depends on your budget.
Short Hills is very expensive, but all neighborhoods are good. With Maplewood and South Orange, you have to be a little more selective about where you buy, but even the good areas are considerably less expensive than Short Hills. Millburn (non-Short Hills part) is also a good choice. You would be in the same school system as Short Hills, but at a lower price.

Old 10-19-2007, 07:28 AM

687 posts, read 2,910,473 times
Quote:
For me the choice of CT, NJ or LI depends on where he is working in NYC...Midtown, Wall street, Upper East, Upper West?
This is key. We live in Central Jersey, and my husband works on the east side, and his commute is a royal pain. If we didn't have family nearby, we'd totally be looking at living in the city or LI.

Old 10-19-2007, 05:34 PM

19 posts, read 90,401 times
Quote:
Hi All,

The closest you'll find to the canadian environment is probably CT/LI/Westchester County (NY). I'd strongly recommend against moving to Jersey. Try posting on the CT city-data forum for CT information. It's also about 45 mins from the city, so you shouldn't have any issues there with the commute time. For schooling, CT definitely has a better education system in general. Living standards are high, and people are warm. Check out the recent outflow of people from Jersey (FOXNews.com - Poll Finds Almost Half of New Jersey Adults Want to Move Out of State - Local News | News Articles | National News | US News). Hopefully, this will give you a good idea.

Old 05-27-2009, 07:57 PM

5,327 posts, read 12,332,087 times
I would suggest that if you have never lived on an Island, being on LI will drive you buggy to the point that you have to keep getting back to the main land to get "HOME" to an earthy place. I've done LI both in college years and afterwards but never felt home being on an island and always wanted to get off and return back to the mainland.

It all depends on your feelings but I just get creeped out being stuck on a crowded island, especially since the only way to escape out is back through the city.

I find LI people who have grown up there don't feel any different about being there but I'm a down to earth middle earth type of spirit and get island fever after a while.

Old 05-28-2009, 03:16 PM

229 posts, read 814,750 times
NJ or CT. Long Island is terrible
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or