U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2007, 05:42 PM

9 posts, read 32,669 times

Advertisements

We have an old beat up house on the shore. Thinking about re-building & want some advice from locals!

Any suggestions on reliable, fast, fair, and good home builders/remodelers? Any to stay away from?

Also, what do you guys think is the average "per square foot" price we should expect around here?

Any advice appreciated!

Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2007, 05:51 PM

9,124 posts, read 32,160,499 times
"Average square foot price" for what? A minor facelift? A major renovation? A complete gut and rebuild? Depending on what you're looking to do, you could be at $30/SF or $300/SF.

And "reliable, fast, fair, and good" aren't usually going to all occur with one contractor- quality contractors are extremely busy, will take their time doing a job right, and will charge accordingly for their quality. 9 out of 10 times that I hear "I want a 'fair' price", it really means "I want a cheap price", and that's typically one of the worst mistakes you can make.

Old 10-17-2007, 05:56 PM

We are looking at gutting our current 1,000 square feet and add a level. I don't want something "cheap" I want something I can live in the rest of my life. Although, because I am just a teacher and my husband is in the auto body business we aren't rich by any means. When I said "fair" I meant someone who's not going to take advantage, etc.

Old 10-17-2007, 06:34 PM

329 posts, read 1,314,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exit114JerseyGirl View Post
We are looking at gutting our current 1,000 square feet and add a level. I don't want something "cheap" I want something I can live in the rest of my life. Although, because I am just a teacher and my husband is in the auto body business we aren't rich by any means. When I said "fair" I meant someone who's not going to take advantage, etc.
Russoniello Builders in Red Bank has a very good reputation. 732 936 0300

Old 10-17-2007, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Depending on the level of finish (granite countertops or formica, wood floors or vinyl, etc), you're probably looking at somewhere in the $150/SF range for the remodel, and $200-225 for the added space. There's still alot of variables, though, the biggest one being whether the foundation is adequate to support the 2nd story- alot of older homes down the shore were either built on piers or on marginally sound slabs that can't necessarily take the load of an additional story.

Friends of mine recently added onto their home in Woodbridge, completely renovating around 1,500 SF and adding an additional 1,500, and their project worked out to an average of just under $200/SF, though your mileage may vary.

Old 10-17-2007, 07:01 PM

687 posts, read 2,916,429 times
We have an awesome contractor who does practically everything, and he does much of his work in Monmouth. DM me if you want his contact info. He isn't cheap, but he doesn't s**** anyone over..

And he is crazy busy.

Old 10-17-2007, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobKovacs View Post
Depending on the level of finish (granite countertops or formica, wood floors or vinyl, etc), you're probably looking at somewhere in the $150/SF range for the remodel, and $200-225 for the added space. There's still alot of variables, though, the biggest one being whether the foundation is adequate to support the 2nd story- alot of older homes down the shore were either built on piers or on marginally sound slabs that can't necessarily take the load of an additional story.

Friends of mine recently added onto their home in Woodbridge, completely renovating around 1,500 SF and adding an additional 1,500, and their project worked out to an average of just under $200/SF, though your mileage may vary.

Thank you for that information. We did have a mason under the house to check out the foundation so we're already checking on that situation. We'll see, I am still calling around and getting ideas and trying to understand the possibilities.

Those prices are way higher than I expected but I have to start seeing what the 'ballpark' figures are going to be. We're not in the market for anything fancy, just a solid comfortable house.

Old 10-17-2007, 07:39 PM

Quote:

Those prices are way higher than I expected but I have to start seeing what the 'ballpark' figures are going to be. We're not in the market for anything fancy, just a solid comfortable house.
Well, it seems that most folks never expect the costs to be as high as they are- everyone always has a number like $100/SF stuck in their heads. Of course, the DIY shows don't help either- take any price you see on those shows, and at least double it if you want to understand what things really cost- they always conveniently forget about all of the free labor, product donations, etc., that they get.

Any idea as to what you're thinking you want to get out of the house? How many bedrooms/bathrooms? What kind of siding? All new windows? I'm assuming the electrical, plumbing and HVAC will all need to be completely upgraded? Any "must haves"- whirlpool tub, gourmet kitchen, etc? The more info you can provide, the better we may be able to nail down costs for various bits and pieces of the project. You may also find that you don't need the whole 2,000 SF to do what you really want to do.

Old 10-18-2007, 10:16 AM

I know this is impractical but I REALLY wish I could approach contractors like this; "Here is how much the bank is going to give me, what CAN you do for me?" haha.

Things would be so much easier that way.

To answer your questions we really are just looking to do 3 bedrooms, 2 baths, an "office" that could potentially be turned into a small guest room, with a new "great room" on the top level. All windows need to be replaced, we DID do an electrical upgrade back in '03, NO crazy gourmet kitchen, one whirlpool tub in the master bath would be nice but not required. Like I said, nothing 'fancy', just a solid comfortable house.

I don't mean to be so vague about this but this is a VERY new idea and we are just STARTING to play with ideas & numbers. I just wanted to see what I might be getting into $ wise.

Old 10-18-2007, 12:44 PM

Sounds like you might not need to add an entire second level, which would keep the cost down. We had looked at doing the same thing with out 1,000 SF cape cod before we just we just said "why bother?" and moved out of state instead. When we really looked at what we needed, 4 BR, 2 BA, kitchen, family room, living room, we really only would have needed to add around 1/2 of a 2nd floor. 500 SF less = +/- $100k less.

BTW, if you don't mind me asking, what do you think you may be looking to spend? That may help me with regard to what you can afford to do. You can DM me if you'd prefer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or