Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-17-2007, 08:15 PM

4 posts, read 12,909 times

Advertisements

We're considering a move from Weehawken to Montclair but we are hearing conflicting opinions on the high school. My daughter is currently in private school in Hoboken and is doing great, so I don't want to screw it up!
She's very bright, but not an athlete. I'm a little concerned about her fitting in coming from an urban background into a suburban environment. Can anyone shed some light on the school?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2007, 08:28 PM

56 posts, read 290,086 times
Default Montclair HS

I'm often asked this question. For many families moving to Montclair from the "city", it's a rather easy fit because Montclair is more metropolitan in general. The families, attitudes of the general community are quite open, progressive and involved. We have a magney school system for the lower grades and one high school. Those coming from smaller, quieter environments may find it harder since one school is obviously larger. With the diversity in students, it's not suburban in the way that you are concerned about.
I recommend visiting the school. When I work with clients, I also suggest they reach out to some of my contacts and who I rely on heavily for info..my parent population! It's good to speak with other parents who have kids at the school, whether they are local or have moved here from other areas.
Good luck! Elaine

Last edited by Global Friend; 10-18-2007 at 05:53 AM.. Reason: they already know

Old 10-17-2007, 08:33 PM

2,689 posts, read 3,939,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by purdyfine View Post
We're considering a move from Weehawken to Montclair but we are hearing conflicting opinions on the high school. My daughter is currently in private school in Hoboken and is doing great, so I don't want to screw it up!
She's very bright, but not an athlete. I'm a little concerned about her fitting in coming from an urban background into a suburban environment. Can anyone shed some light on the school?
there is no way that the public HS could come close to being as good as your private school, there are very few excellent public HS in NJ that can come close to even the weakest private HS

Old 10-17-2007, 09:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by apvbguy View Post
there is no way that the public HS could come close to being as good as your private school, there are very few excellent public HS in NJ that can come close to even the weakest private HS
I think its apples and oranges. Academically, the school is great, but its small.
The kids that go to it are mostly from very well-to-do families . We had to take a loan out to send her there, and the high school is even more expensive! If we keep this up, we will be in a bad position when it comes time for college. If I have to pay high property taxes, I'd prefer to make use of the local high school! Besides, I think in the long run, it will be better for her to see what the real world is like.

Old 10-17-2007, 09:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ep4property View Post
Hi,
As a local realor, I'm often asked this question. For many families moving to Montclair from the "city", it's a rather easy fit because Montclair is more metropolitan in general. The families, attitudes of the general community are quite open, progressive and involved. We have a magney school system for the lower grades and one high school. Those coming from smaller, quieter environments may find it harder since one school is obviously larger. With the diversity in students, it's not suburban in the way that you are concerned about.
I recommend visiting the school. When I work with clients, I also suggest they reach out to some of my contacts and who I rely on heavily for info..my parent population! It's good to speak with other parents who have kids at the school, whether they are local or have moved here from other areas.
Good luck! Elaine
Thanks for your response, it was helpful. We intend on visiting the school next week.

Old 10-18-2007, 11:08 AM
ira

657 posts, read 3,921,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by purdyfine View Post
Hi,

I know several families who left Montclair when their kids reached HS age. They were very happy with elementary and middle schools but they, too were concerned about HS.

I guess the sad truth is that diversity (socio-economic) is not always good for public schools. I can't think of any truly diverse place that have very good public schools. In case of Montclair, it looks like Upper Monclair is very different from the rest of the town and that's what probably affects the high school.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey