Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-08-2013, 08:42 PM

2 posts, read 4,979 times

Advertisements

I recently moved to Bloomfield, NJ and I am looking for an African American hair stylist that welcomes clients with longer hair. I'm looking for someone who is concerned about healthy hair (no over processed hair pls) and someone who is not scissor happy. My last hairdresser worked in a multicultural salon so it is no necessary for the hairdresser to work in an African American salon. I am willing to travel to New York. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2013, 10:17 PM

39 posts, read 65,512 times
Salon Femi in Montclair. Top of the line salon. On the pricier side but well worth it.

Old 01-13-2013, 05:37 AM

27 posts, read 159,290 times
I am looking for a Caucasian hairdresser can anyone help?

OMG RACIST

Old 01-13-2013, 11:43 AM

908 posts, read 1,554,650 times
I don't think she means AA as in the ethnicity of the stylist, I think she means someone who knows how to work with AA hair textures? At least that's what I got from it. If the OP is interested I can ask my sister in NYC. Her friend is Japanese but does great braiding & other styles. She was able to braid my BIL hair, and he is Japanese, with bone straight thick hair! If she still lives up there I can DM her info. if you like?

Old 01-13-2013, 08:51 PM

24,645 posts, read 38,636,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJDevils89 View Post
I am looking for a Caucasian hairdresser can anyone help?

OMG RACIST
Spare me. Some stylists or barbers cannot or will not work with African hair. It's as simple as that.

Old 01-14-2013, 10:26 AM

127 posts, read 261,885 times
You guys should see the documentary "Good Hair", narrated and hosted by Chris Rock. It's about the sociocultural and economic effects of black hair (mostly womens). Good movie

Old 01-14-2013, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bass_o_matic 76 View Post
You guys should see the documentary "Good Hair", narrated and hosted by Chris Rock. It's about the sociocultural and economic effects of black hair (mostly womens). Good movie
My sister said the movie was good. We're not AA, but she & my daughter(my hubby is AA) have super curly hair. My ignorant MIL put a chemical relaxer in my daughter's hair and it did NOTHING but hurt my baby's skin, and burn chunks of hair off. My sister tried chemical relaxers(ones that are for "Caucasian" hair) with NO results. I tried straightening my hair with chemicals and it ruined my curls, and did NOT straighten them. Some hair is resistant to straightening chemicals. We're Mediterranean, and nothing chemical works. A hairstylist told me that some people in our area of the world just have resistant hair. The flat iron works, but only for a couple of hours, more if its not humid. We can't even go blonde. It turned orangey brown! Our hair, whatever the biological make-up is in our family, won't allow for straightening, or bleaching. It just doesn't work, only damages. I had to cut my hair extremely short to get natural hair again.

My husband grew up with a mom, and cousins who constantly put chemicals in their hair and then needed wigs after cutting it to get healthy hair again. He refuses to allow our daughter near a salon, even for a blow out. He believes little girls should look like little girls, and parents have no right to put harmful chemicals in a child's hair. He thinks that's her decision to make when she is old enough(in his mind its when she's married,lol), I concur.
We use REAL henna conditioning, and other herbs to strengthen hair, and make the curls more manageable & a bit looser. The curls loosen more with each consecutive henna treatment, but never go straight. We use natural oils, NO commercial products, for moisturizing the hair.

I have to see this movie now. My daughter has no desire to get the crazy, adult styles other girls her age get(she's 11), and seeing this movie may just reinforce her appreciation for the hair God gave her, and prevent her from ever thinking she HAS to change it to be beautiful. Is it OK for a kid to watch? I know Chris Rock tends to curse a bit much for my taste in his stand-up. Did he tone it down in this documentary?

Old 01-14-2013, 01:20 PM

127 posts, read 261,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by colorfulchic83 View Post
My sister said the movie was good. We're not AA, but she & my daughter(my hubby is AA) have super curly hair. My ignorant MIL put a chemical relaxer in my daughter's hair and it did NOTHING but hurt my baby's skin, and burn chunks of hair off. My sister tried chemical relaxers(ones that are for "Caucasian" hair) with NO results. I tried straightening my hair with chemicals and it ruined my curls, and did NOT straighten them. Some hair is resistant to straightening chemicals. We're Mediterranean, and nothing chemical works. A hairstylist told me that some people in our area of the world just have resistant hair. The flat iron works, but only for a couple of hours, more if its not humid. We can't even go blonde. It turned orangey brown! Our hair, whatever the biological make-up is in our family, won't allow for straightening, or bleaching. It just doesn't work, only damages. I had to cut my hair extremely short to get natural hair again.

My husband grew up with a mom, and cousins who constantly put chemicals in their hair and then needed wigs after cutting it to get healthy hair again. He refuses to allow our daughter near a salon, even for a blow out. He believes little girls should look like little girls, and parents have no right to put harmful chemicals in a child's hair. He thinks that's her decision to make when she is old enough(in his mind its when she's married,lol), I concur.
We use REAL henna conditioning, and other herbs to strengthen hair, and make the curls more manageable & a bit looser. The curls loosen more with each consecutive henna treatment, but never go straight. We use natural oils, NO commercial products, for moisturizing the hair.

I have to see this movie now. My daughter has no desire to get the crazy, adult styles other girls her age get(she's 11), and seeing this movie may just reinforce her appreciation for the hair God gave her, and prevent her from ever thinking she HAS to change it to be beautiful. Is it OK for a kid to watch? I know Chris Rock tends to curse a bit much for my taste in his stand-up. Did he tone it down in this documentary?
Wow. That sounds really tough. I wish it were easy to tell people with kinky hair to embrace their God-given hair consistency, but the tug of the straightener is strong. The problem is the pervasive white=beautiful philosophy (I think this is the movie's main point), is lessening black people's self esteem. And no, C. Rock doesn't curse very much in the movie, he pretty much just narrates the scenes and interviews assorted barbershop customers and black hair product manufacturers

Old 01-14-2013, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bass_o_matic 76 View Post
Wow. That sounds really tough. I wish it were easy to tell people with kinky hair to embrace their God-given hair consistency, but the tug of the straightener is strong. The problem is the pervasive white=beautiful philosophy (I think this is the movie's main point), is lessening black people's self esteem. And no, C. Rock doesn't curse very much in the movie, he pretty much just narrates the scenes and interviews assorted barbershop customers and black hair product manufacturers
I had written out a long response about the indoctrination of AA self-hate, but I didn't want to get too off-topic. I'll just put it in my journal for when I finally start my blog,lol. I definitely will watch this move then. I don't ever want my daughter to feel like some of my friends did growing up, and some still do as adults. Thanks for the Good Hair info.

Old 09-16-2015, 03:28 PM

1 posts, read 1,601 times
May I suggest A Cut Above Salon 335 George Street, New Brunswick, Our stylists are experienced with all textures of hair and we are African American, We serve many children of mixed couples and ensure that their hair is beautiful and well cared for. HOME. Hope to see you soon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey