Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-09-2013, 11:02 AM

18 posts, read 39,172 times

Advertisements

I recently had to add my mom and her car to my policy. She lives at a different address than me. Both cars are registered under my name. Her home is in a safer area, Oradell, and therefore insurance quotes using her address is considerably cheaper.

I tried to be honest and tried to add the second car at her location. But some insurance companies like my current one, let you only have ONE garaged location for your vehicles. So my options:
  1. insure both vehicles to my home address (fort lee), raising total cost $400-500 (6 month policy)
  2. insure both vehicles to my moms address (oradell), raising total cost $100-200 (6 month policy)
  3. open separate policies, raising total cost i can only guess will be higher than option 1

currently what i have done is go with option 2. changed my nj mvc address online. changed my residential address to moms address, and made my mailing address as my current address.

the stickers they sent me to "update" my license/registrations stayed the same (the mailing address). to summarize, my insurance cards list oradell address, and car registrations and my drivers license show fort lee address. my main fear is that insurance will come back later denying a claim or similar...

i basically convinced myself to do this, because i figured worst case i can explain that i travel between both homes. i would greatly appreciate any advice you may have. thanks

Last edited by JK84; 01-09-2013 at 11:22 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2013, 11:21 AM

14,780 posts, read 43,547,485 times
I'm fairly confident that the only way to properly do this is for each of you to have a separate policy. Anything else and you risk having your claims denied.

Old 01-09-2013, 11:38 AM

516 posts, read 1,001,836 times
Have you tried calling your insurance company and speaking to an agent? My agent was able to clarify many of my questions after speaking to a supervisor, and often times they can set things in their system that are not available options to you when you update your policy through the online service centers. At the very least, they will tell you their deny claim policy for each of your choices.

Old 01-09-2013, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJGOAT View Post
I'm fairly confident that the only way to properly do this is for each of you to have a separate policy. Anything else and you risk having your claims denied.
law dictates that car owner (reigstration) needs to match insurance holder. therefore i would be having 2 separate policies. one with just me and my car. one with me, my mom and her car. to be honest, i can't afford another policy, as i can only assume that will cost the most.

side note, kinda related... i am getting sick of living in the states with crappy insurance system and a system that encourages fraud and lying

Old 01-09-2013, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JK84 View Post
law dictates that car owner (reigstration) needs to match insurance holder. therefore i would be having 2 separate policies. one with just me and my car. one with me, my mom and her car. to be honest, i can't afford another policy, as i can only assume that will cost the most.

side note, kinda related... i am getting sick of living in the states with crappy insurance system and a system that encourages fraud and lying
Given the complexity of the situation, you should just call an agent and ask them the best way to structure this. I know, at least on the surface, that what you are doing now is "wrong", but how wrong it is and what remedies you have, I am not sure of.

Old 01-09-2013, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJGOAT View Post
Given the complexity of the situation, you should just call an agent and ask them the best way to structure this. I know, at least on the surface, that what you are doing now is "wrong", but how wrong it is and what remedies you have, I am not sure of.
well when i was originally trying to add the additional driver and car, they told me option 3 was my only choice. although the rep sounded like he was trying to imply i should do option 1/2

Old 01-09-2013, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JK84 View Post
well when i was originally trying to add the additional driver and car, they told me option 3 was my only choice. although the rep sounded like he was trying to imply i should do option 1/2
That's ultimately the problem. You can pass the legal requirement of having the cars insured with option 1/2 and save money. However, there is a chance that if you needed to file a claim you could end up having it denied because you didn't follow the rules. I think you grasp the situation pretty well and I'm not really sure what to tell you to do other then I know people who have done option 1/2 for years without issue. However, those same people didn't file claims either.

Basically you're making a choice to take a chance. That choice is all up to you as there is no other way to do it other then what you have already outlined as your options.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey