U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

New Jersey: tokens, rental car, home, rate increase, job.

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2007, 12:36 PM

5 posts, read 19,356 times

Advertisements

The toll used to be a quarter. After the .10 rate increase, they discounted the tokens. Ah, the good ol days....

Can't wait to see what's coming with the Private-Public-Partnerships.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2007, 12:47 PM

604 posts, read 2,587,447 times
JerZ you have to remember that the toll taker is probably only making about $20. hr to be a highway clerk. Pretty good pay for somebody who can barely speak. I guess friendly conversation or even being polite is not a job requirement.
Anyway you can add that incident to the stories you can tell when back home.

Come back soon and don't forget your easy pass.

E

Old 10-18-2007, 01:28 PM

25,418 posts, read 24,183,342 times
OMG. Nineteen ninety freaking nine? Maybe then the dude does get a pass for being snappish.

I didn't appreciate the Jesus part, though. So he gets points off for that.

I agree...only twenty bucks an hour to stare at cars...ohhhhhhhhh the backbreaking hard work misery...how can he stand it? Give me a flarkin' break.

Old 10-18-2007, 01:32 PM

9,124 posts, read 32,116,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerZ View Post
OMG. Nineteen ninety freaking nine? Maybe then the dude does get a pass for being snappish.

I didn't appreciate the Jesus part, though. So he gets points off for that.

I agree...only twenty bucks an hour to stare at cars...ohhhhhhhhh the backbreaking hard work misery...how can he stand it? Give me a flarkin' break.
Just another example of NJ's taxin' machine at work. Maybe if they weren't paying him $20/hour, they could lower the toll cost?????

Old 10-18-2007, 02:30 PM

7,965 posts, read 16,786,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobKovacs View Post
Just another example of NJ's taxin' machine at work. Maybe if they weren't paying him $20/hour, they could lower the toll cost?????
Maybe if the tolls were bulldozed completely, the salaries and administrative overhead could also be removed. It's as if the tolls exist for patronage, in effect, to pay the salaries of un-deserving employees. There are 33 states that have, imagine: no tolls! And another 10 states that have very limited toll roads, California and Oklahoma among them. Most of the big toll roads are in, guess where, the northeast! New Jersey, New York, Pennsylvania, Maine, Massachusetts. An outlier is Connecticut: this state, too, used to have tolls on the Connecticut Turnpike, and guess what? They bulldozed them down about 25 years ago.

Old 10-18-2007, 06:12 PM

12,284 posts, read 30,960,833 times
(((jerz))) - i'm sorry. I know you understand that it's not about the tolltaker or the nasty-a** person at Starbucks, and you know more than anyone you can't take the pulse of the state from idiots around the Newark area, but I TOTALLY get your sadness. It happens to everyone, people who move 10 miles or 10000 miles away. When you're not around to see the subtle changes day by day, they hit you like a ton of bricks after being gone for awhile. Couple that with hitting some milestone birthdays (you KNOW what I mean by that!! ), and, well, let's just say I TOTALLY understand why people have mid-life crises!! LOL

Now, I didn't move far from home, but when I go back, I long for the "old days". I also look back and realize that really, the town hasn't changed *all* that much, but rather, I have - hell, I don't even have an accent anymore! Add a new home 3000 miles and it's completely understandable.

But I bet if you even had the oppy to move back here and you did, it wouldn't take long to get back in the swing of things.

I'm glad you have a great time otherwise!!!

Old 10-19-2007, 05:09 AM
GJM

465 posts, read 1,689,014 times
I use to take the parkway and turnpike to work everyday, before EZ Pass. I don't think I have ever encountered a pleasant toll booth employee! They have always ignored you, which was most of the time or were just rude.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or