U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2007, 10:25 AM

56 posts, read 224,144 times

Advertisements

Iam in a quandry. I interviewed two agents from two different firms. One is from an upscale, so called boutique firm that is affiliated with Christie's and my home will be marketed accordingly. The agent is very high end-ish herself. She may put some people off. The other agent is part of a dynamic, high profile, large volume office that everybody has heard of. She's down to earth and fast paced. We like her. My home is by no means that pricey. It will probably price at around $600,000. Big real estate office/company or boutique, what is "better" in this market and does it matter?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2007, 10:54 AM

41 posts, read 135,866 times
Just my opinion, but I don't think it really matters in this market. Anyone with a computer has access to the MLS, GSMLS, etc. I would think the amount of pictures your agent posts on the sites as well as the clarity of the info would mean more. Also, the uppity agent may actually intimidate some people from even looking at the house. Never judge a book by its cover, or a potential buyer by their clothing.

Old 10-18-2007, 07:26 PM

604 posts, read 2,586,359 times
Your talking about the listing agent. It has been my experience that the listing agent is just that, they expect some other agent to actually sell your house. The showing agents will be the ones bringing prospects to your home.The listing agent makes one or two trips to your house before you sign a listing agreement but you may get dozens of showing agents before you ever get an offer to purchase.
I don't beleive it matters which company you choose.

E

Last edited by emanon; 10-18-2007 at 07:28 PM.. Reason: spelling

Old 10-18-2007, 07:43 PM

1,106 posts, read 4,364,540 times
I say go with the person you are most comfortable with. You said the agent you liked was with a high profile agency. I think it is important that your agent be high profile. When I sold my mothers house I used an agent that had been with the same company in the area for at least 15 years. She had been a top seller for a lot of the time. She is well known by other agents in other companies. When she did the agents open house we had a ton of agents show up. And even at that, since we listed the house Thanksgiving week, she ran another Agents open house the first week in January. We had an offer on the house two weeks later. The house was shown a lot considering the time of year! It is true that a lot of people search for homes using the internet and it is a very important part of the marketing. Have whoever you contract with DETAIL their marketing strategy and check them every step of the way. Put in the contract that if you are not satisfied with the pictures/description etc. then it will be changed within a certain period of time, like 48 hours. Make sure the pictures are where they're supposed to be when they're supposed to be there. Lots of agents get lazy on this part.

Old 10-18-2007, 08:56 PM

964 posts, read 2,561,771 times
Interesting, and a common quandry. In today's marketplace, more than the agent, what is important is price. I say this not to not answer your question, but more so because in today's marketplace, often, price sells the house.

This by no means trivializes the agent and their role, however, in today's day and age, with the MLS, the internet, and an abundance of information available to buyers, consumers, etc. -- price can be a very strong determining factor.

The boutique firm, and I have used them before, can have pros and cons. Where does your home -- in the $600k price range -- "fit" into their listings? Will buyers of $600k homes utilize a firm like this? This firm will market your house "accordingly" as you said. What does this mean? Will they be spending money to get your home exposure -- more than just an MLS listing? The other firm might be "more in your marketplace" so to speak. While they may not bring certain things to the table, they may capture more buyers for your home than the boutique firm. Just food for thought. Good luck.

Old 10-18-2007, 09:10 PM

6 posts, read 22,329 times
Selling your home, especially in todays market, is stressful and emotional. The most important factor is to find the right agent,because you will be dealing mostly with the agent and not the agency. It's important that you feel comfortable with the agent,that they will dedicate time to marketing your home, and not just put it in MLS and their company web site. The most important thing they should do for you -is to price the house right. They have to give you a marketing plan that has something special and different from others. You have to probe for their Internet expertise - having a web-site, does not mean people are finding it, and that your home will be found. They have to be able to write a compelling ad copy, that would make the buyers want to look at your home. The quality of the pictures is extremely important - the best is to use a professional photographer. Your home needs to be prepared, before the pictures are taken - that also requires special expertise. Good agent will tell you in advance what selling process will be like,the time frames for various activities, how they will communicate with you and how often. I don't think you need to "check them every step of the way", if you get the right agent. I am an agent, and these are some of the things I would look for if I was selling my home. Good luck with your sale. Faina.

Old 10-19-2007, 07:57 AM

505 posts, read 2,107,279 times
If both companies offer the same marketing plan, then it doesn't really matter which one you go with. Provided you get the showcase package on realtor.com and they do extensive marketing, you'll be fine provided it's priced right.

~Joey

Old 10-19-2007, 10:20 AM

5,439 posts, read 14,329,796 times
I don't know that it matters to the BUYER as long as your house is up on GSMLS NJMLS realtor.com etc. Chances of your home buyer using YOUR agent as a buyer's agent are unlikely, right? You can do your part by making sure the house has lock boxes and is very easy for people to see... if they don't see it it will never sell. I would also hugely re-enforce MULTIPLE pictures and a good description on the GSMLS NJMLS and realtor.com - I don't know what this costs.

However, if you have an open house and the listing agent is "uppity," and is the person who is showing the house, this can and will turn people off.

Old 10-19-2007, 10:24 AM

505 posts, read 2,107,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe moving View Post
I don't know that it matters to the BUYER as long as your house is up on GSMLS NJMLS realtor.com etc.
1. Chances of your home buyer using YOUR agent as a buyer's agent are unlikely, right?

2. However, if you have an open house and the listing agent is "uppity," and is the person who is showing the house, this can and will turn people off.
1. 98% of homes sold are sold by a cooperating Realtor (ie another agent) as per the National Association of Realtors

2. The listing agent also handles negotiations for the seller as well as a myriad of other functions throught the sale of a home that if they are not well versed in can create havoc throughout a deal such as inspection negotiations and contract negotiations and municipal issues and other things of that nature.

Old 10-24-2007, 09:51 PM

31 posts, read 93,267 times
Default Agent

Definitely go with the agent you felt the most comfortable with. Also be sure to ask for their marketing plan/program. Many, many people buy directly through the listing agent, and you want to be sure she has the house on an expanded listing on Realtor.com, on her own website, Craig's list, etc.
Also, she'll be spending alot of time with you over the next few months, so you want someone you can talk with and be honest with.
Sellers get very uptight when there house is on the market...it's so stressful to keep it clean, to have showings at all crazy times, etc. So you need a very understanding agent who will treat you like a valued client and work so hard to get it sold quickly!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or