Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2007, 06:45 AM

9,124 posts, read 36,313,639 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EANJ View Post
Regardless, commerce and industry is attracted to NJ. Some will come, some will leave. It's like anywhere else, and, there is a life cycle to it.
Really??? I thought NJ was just rated 49th with regard to being "business friendly". Seems odd that they'd be rated that low, yet companies are still "attracted" there, no?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2007, 06:59 AM

1,215 posts, read 3,277,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobKovacs View Post
Really??? I thought NJ was just rated 49th with regard to being "business friendly". Seems odd that they'd be rated that low, yet companies are still "attracted" there, no?
I think the many of the people who develop such "ratings" aren't in business, aren't business owners, etc. If NJ wants you, they'll get you, LOL. Across the board, NJ may not be the most business, tax, etc. friendly state in the US -- but look at what they are doing for Wall St. firms, technology companies, biotech, and other industries as well. I've had plenty of large, and small clients move, relocate, expand, etc. into NJ. Like I've often said -- statistics, ratings, and the like can be skewed and distorted.

I think business owners have to look at the entire tax system, cost of doing business, etc. -- the entire situation must be looked at globally.

Old 10-22-2007, 08:11 AM

5,616 posts, read 15,488,763 times
To UKOK, sure there are tons of people who can afford it, Look at Bergen County, where I left. I know there is more to life than taxes and cheap houses, this is why I did not go south. I did not leave cause I could not afford it, but some people can't so why blast them. I know a few 80 year olds whose pensions just cant cut it anymore in Bergen County. Now thats not too good huh??? They would like to leave there kids some money so they dont take a reverse mortgage, and are really in a crappy situation. I dont hate NJ, just wish they could really help the middle class more. But hey thats capitalism.

Old 10-22-2007, 08:32 AM

12,283 posts, read 35,622,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UKOK View Post
No, the bottom line is SOME people can't afford it. Obviously plenty can. There is more to life than low taxes and cheap housing (I sound like tahiti now).
LOL! I'm so honored. When someone needs to resort to overinflated exaggerations and lies about "NJ kicking me out" to justify their move, well, it's hard to take any (however true they may be) reasons seriously.

And, there are many places where people can't afford to live, especially areas where transplants move and drive up the cost of living for the natives. It's unfortunate, but not unique to this area.

Old 10-22-2007, 10:10 AM

2,865 posts, read 9,348,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calico696 View Post
I'm am fairly certain you can't. I have never had a good bagel or pizza outside of the NY, NJ, CT area. I think it's the water. But as you know, everything is a trade off. I bet there are some things in KY that are made better than NJ.
Sometimes you can if you look hard enough. I found wonderful pizza here in TN, but the family that owns it, do happen to be from Brooklyn. A man that cleaned my windows was from Bergan County, and he never heard of the place, so I told him and he went, and ageed it was the best. Sometimes, All you need to do is look. This place has huge lines and it is hid in a Coroprate Center, so sometimes only the people that work there know.
We have people that moved here from every state. Now the Californian's are petitiong for a Trader Joe's to open up here.

Diane

Old 10-22-2007, 01:42 PM

You know I am not referring to myself when I say pushed out, I am talking about people who are in their 70-90 year old range. I don't feel I was pushed out, hell, I wanted to try something new. I am not broke and I did not move to an exactly low tax state. BUt this meant for the retired elderly. Some cant even change a bit. When I offered one of my TV's to my friends dad (85 years old) he did not want it because his dvd hooked up to his little piece of junk tv. In otherwords he could not change the concept that any tv and mine was brand new could be hooked up.he could not get. So its not so easy to say throw them in a cheap condo. NJ is hurting them and THEY are being squeezed not me. Thanks wanted to clear that up

I feel that some of you get off when people say they can't afford NJ. Thats kinda cold, I mean some people picked careers that they will never be rich and NJ did outpace them so dont be so smug that you are well off maybe I am reading this wrong?

Old 10-22-2007, 01:58 PM

2,539 posts, read 3,719,851 times
There may be more to life than cheap housing and low taxes, but it's all a matter of priority. My husband and I could easily stay in NJ as we both make enough money to live comfortably in NJ (we bought our house before the property boom so we didn't move in search of cheaper house. If anything, we downgraded our house when we moved to KY to live debt free). We've decided long ago that we would like to retire at 50 and have money to travel the globe & do fun stuff together. We could achieve our goal living in NJ but we could achieve that and so much more if we move out of NJ. So when the job relocation offer came to us, it was a no brainer.

NJ has other good qualities too or it won't have so many loyal long time residents & immigrants flocking the place like magnet. It just so happens that NJ is not the fastest route to be for us to achieve our goal. Like I said, it's all a matter of priority.

Old 10-22-2007, 02:03 PM

You summed it up like I should have, like a professional Grace!!!!!

Old 10-22-2007, 02:21 PM

12,283 posts, read 35,622,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by graceC View Post
There may be more to life than cheap housing and low taxes, but it's all a matter of priority. My husband and I could easily stay in NJ as we both make enough money to live comfortably in NJ (we bought our house before the property boom so we didn't move in search of cheaper house. If anything, we downgraded our house when we moved to KY to live debt free). We've decided long ago that we would like to retire at 50 and have money to travel the globe & do fun stuff together. We could achieve our goal living in NJ but we could achieve that and so much more if we move out of NJ. So when the job relocation offer came to us, it was a no brainer.

NJ has other good qualities too or it won't have so many loyal long time residents & immigrants flocking the place like magnet. It just so happens that NJ is not the fastest route to be for us to achieve our goal. Like I said, it's all a matter of priority.
absolutely, and I don't have issue with your reasons (like who cares anyway if I did, but you KWIM ). and on the flip side, my reasons for staying are great job oppys (oddly enough staying here will ALLOW us to retire early), and having my children grow up around family (you really can't put a price tag on this, unless you hate your family ). plus, i plain like it . my reasons aren't wrong, your reasons aren't wrong, but there are many posters who will come on here, and in some weird attempt to justify their moves, claim everything about this place sucks, lower taxes can be found ANYWHEREBUTHERE and post flat out untruths. that's what really gets under my skin.

Old 10-22-2007, 03:17 PM

Your reasons also Tahiti make sense too me also. If the job is there great set yourself up well to retire. Whats the point of going somewhere else if your making great money in NJ. Hope you were not referring to me. I can be objective.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey