Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2013, 08:40 PM

67 posts, read 164,783 times

Advertisements

I hear you can get a lot more for your money in PA.
Is the idea of moving to PA and commuting to Branchburg, NJ something you would recommend?

Do you really get a lot more in PA?

Which counties in PA translate into an easy commute to Branchburg?

If you get that much more in PA then perhaps the 1hr 15mins commute is worth it.

Thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2013, 09:30 PM

328 posts, read 1,045,189 times
Assuming you are looking at the Easton, PA area... then, yes - you will get a lot more and much lower taxes. I live past Branchburg and it takes me about 45 minutes to get to my friend's house in Easton. I've always thought the Easton to Brandhburg commute doesn't seem so bad. Once you get further east into NJ, it gets a little tougher.

Old 01-16-2013, 12:52 AM

67 posts, read 164,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by digi21 View Post
Assuming you are looking at the Easton, PA area... then, yes - you will get a lot more and much lower taxes. I live past Branchburg and it takes me about 45 minutes to get to my friend's house in Easton. I've always thought the Easton to Brandhburg commute doesn't seem so bad. Once you get further east into NJ, it gets a little tougher.

In terms of location how does Easton PA compare to say Branchburg / Hillsborough / Bridgewater?

I noticed the per capita and household income in Easton, PA is much lower than Bridgewater.
Any idea about schools there?

Old 01-16-2013, 08:41 AM

908 posts, read 1,547,475 times
Easton is in the Lehigh Valley, and there are some nice sections of Easton(not sure of the names). The suburbs of Maccungie, Bethlehem Township, and White Hall, are better. You will get more house for your money. Healthcare in Pa is not as great as NJ, but Lehigh Valley & Philly have great doctors. The schools in Pa, score far below NJ's. Governments tend to be a bit more corrupt than in NJ, but Lehigh Valley is better than other areas of Pa. I just can't tell you which is better, because I don't know. Also, keep in mind that Lehigh Valley is not as modern as NJ. Its maybe a decade or so back in many ways,socially mostly. Travel west or north Lehigh Valley, and a typical NJ resident would NOT like living there. If you want to move and keep a somewhat NJ/modern feel, with decent health care, stick with the Lehigh Valley, or Philadelphia suburbs. You will get a bigger house for far less. Schools are the main downside to these areas, but not all are horrible. The Lehigh Valley forum may be able to give you more detailed information. Just keep in mind, you may encounter some people there who are not exactly friendly to NJ folks. That's another thing about Pa, many towns locals aren't welcoming to outsiders, but Lehigh Valley seems to be far better than other areas in that regard.

Last edited by colorfulchic83; 01-16-2013 at 09:00 AM.. Reason: typo

Old 01-17-2013, 06:30 AM

63 posts, read 142,792 times
We did just what you want to do. We lived in Scotch Plains. Husbands now commute 2 hours 20 minutes to Newark every day! The people in the Leigh Valley, were in Hanover township, are not friendly at all. We've been in our church 3 years and we only know one couple! We are very close to moving back. By the time you pay your gas, wear and tear on car and your time per month in the car (husbands is 40 hours of travel per month), I think it blows the lower taxes out the water. You will get maybe a bigger home in better condition, but schools our here are not top notch. Just elementary schools are good. Think long and hard! It was not worth it for us and we came out here for lower taxes and more bang in housing dollars. The house get familiar real quick, but the commute gets old real fast!

Old 01-17-2013, 07:26 AM

908 posts, read 1,547,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by judyr908 View Post
We did just what you want to do. We lived in Scotch Plains. Husbands now commute 2 hours 20 minutes to Newark every day! The people in the Leigh Valley, were in Hanover township, are not friendly at all. We've been in our church 3 years and we only know one couple! We are very close to moving back. By the time you pay your gas, wear and tear on car and your time per month in the car (husbands is 40 hours of travel per month), I think it blows the lower taxes out the water. You will get maybe a bigger home in better condition, but schools our here are not top notch. Just elementary schools are good. Think long and hard! It was not worth it for us and we came out here for lower taxes and more bang in housing dollars. The house get familiar real quick, but the commute gets old real fast!
That's really disheartening to hear of your bad experience with Hanover Township. I was asking my husband this morning if we should just move to Lehigh Valley(we're currently in Scranton/Wilkes-Barre area and its dreadful), instead of returning to NJ. Lehigh Valley seemed nice when we visited. He flat out said, "NO". He was tired of Pa, and didn't want to chance living in yet another area were the people refuse to treat you with human decency, simply because you're from NJ. Our kids are unhappy too. Reading your comment leaves me no doubts whatsoever, that moving back to NJ is our only choice. You are right about all the costs(my husband commuted to Essex County until 3 years ago) . I think utilities here cost more too, and there are even more increases this year. Considering its cold much of the year(at least up here it is), it really leaves you paying far more and for what? An underdeveloped area that will always treat you as outcasts? Pa is cheaper for a reason, and cheaper is not always better. You can't stay locked in your larger affordable house all day. We have to interact. Coming back home to that bigger house after dealing with rude, and down right cold people( and 1960's racist/bigoted where I live), makes it difficult to enjoy the bigger, cheaper house.
I guess everything is pointing to NJ for us. Thanks for the input, because I got little help from the Lehigh Valley forum on city-data.

Old 01-17-2013, 07:43 AM
PDD

8,773 posts, read 18,292,121 times
If there were no other cars on I-78 the commute would not be as terrible, it would still be terrible but not as much. But I-78 can be like a parking lot in the morning commute from PA to Central NJ.

Forget everything about PA, the commute is what's bad about moving there.

Old 01-17-2013, 08:42 AM

9,328 posts, read 20,663,923 times
No way I would do that. I'd rather have smaller sq footage, less stuff, and a managable commute. There's trade-offs in life. My tact on this would be what good is the extra square footage if I am not home to enjoy it?

Old 01-17-2013, 09:08 AM

12,283 posts, read 35,575,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike0421 View Post
No way I would do that. I'd rather have smaller sq footage, less stuff, and a managable commute. There's trade-offs in life. My tact on this would be what good is the extra square footage if I am not home to enjoy it?
Agree 10000000000%

Old 01-17-2013, 04:10 PM

63 posts, read 142,792 times
I'm so sorry!!! I feel like the few postings I made today are starting a revolt in PA! Sometimes you just don't know what you've got until you loose it! I told my husband I don't want to hear one word from him about NJ taxes! But the thing I really learned is I've taken for granted the very kind, loving friendship and acquaintances we had thinking it would be easy to start over. So it's a good thing in a way. I wish you the best on your relocating. Let's keep in touch!!

Judy
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey