Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2013, 12:13 PM

188 posts, read 189,676 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magic78 View Post
Omg....not talking about corporate bailout. There are lots of bankers and lawyers who have absolutely nothing to do with corporate bailout. Some lawyers and bankers do not make much money yet have student debt that they will be paying for decades. They work hard, don't expect their jobs to be there unless they fulfill their responsibilities and beyond.
You said lawyers and bankers. You didn't differentiate. And in that context you included the very people whom I referred to. The lawyers and bankers who robbed us blind and can do it again with impunity.

A recent example: HSBC laundered billions in drug cartel money yet faced no criminal charges.

Outrageous HSBC Settlement Proves the Drug War is a Joke | | Rolling Stone

Keep using those paragons of economic and moral virtue as the example you hold up for the rest of us to admire and copy.

LOLOL
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2013, 12:18 PM

188 posts, read 189,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Paolella View Post
I don't believe in race. I believe in species. We are all the same species. No difference, no distinction, no relevance. The fact that one's epithelial covering reflects light waves at a frequency different from my own is totally non-significant and irrelevant to life and irrelevant to character and irrelevant to talent and irrelevant to capability and irrelevant to Reason.

How does that grab you?

And your imaginary boss who fires you for irrational momentary mood swings simply does not exist. And if he does exist? DO ME A FAVOR: FIRE ME! I wouldn't want to work for such a person. I am better than that and would not tolerate such a human.

You need to do better coming up with straw men to defend your collectivistic mindset. I would prefer a more formidable argument to take apart.
You may not believe in race but unfortunately there are billions of others on the planet who do and they outnumber you but quite a bit. Your ignorance of their effect on the lives of millions of people doesn't help the situation any. Ignorance is bliss but it isn't a panacea.

I've worked for people who came in with a bug up and targeted employees they held grudges against, I've seen good employees passed over or fired while people who were less competent moved up or were kept on, so please don't ask me to accept your fantasy world for the reality I've seen with my own eyes.

You claim to perceive realty as straw men because your ignorance prevents you from recognizing a formidable argument.

Old 01-16-2013, 12:19 PM

11,337 posts, read 10,980,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobd04 View Post
You're another one, Marc. You have the nerve to call people sniveling collectivist thieves after YOUR economic sector robbed the rest of us blind and then got bailed out by us "sniveling collectivist thieves"!

And then you have the nerve to suggest the completely laughable notion that we should follow your "philosophy".

You just can't make this stuff up.

I wonder how many homes you'd sell if your customers knew what you really thought of them.
Again seeing the world through conspiracies and collectives. I am not an "economic sector" and I take no responsibility or blame for the actions of others. I am an individual, and behaved, and behave, in an exemplary fashion, in bad economies, and in good economies.

Get out of the groupthink trap. You are yourself. Your worth lies in your own individual character and your own individual life plan. If it's not what it needs to be, it's on you, and only on you.

Old 01-16-2013, 12:21 PM

Apparently yes Badfish, you do.

Old 01-16-2013, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobd04 View Post
You may not believe in race but unfortunately there are billions of others on the planet who do and they outnumber you but quite a bit. Your ignorance of their effect on the lives of millions of people doesn't help the situation any. Ignorance is bliss but it isn't a panacea.

I've worked for people who came in with a bug up and targeted employees they held grudges against, I've seen good employees passed over or fired while people who were less competent moved up or were kept on, so please don't ask me to accept your fantasy world for the reality I've seen with my own eyes.

You claim to perceive realty as straw men because your ignorance prevents you from recognizing a formidable argument.
So we agree. You've seen lesser people move up while better people were fired or passed over. And you think that is bad and unjust. Perfect. You just joined my team. On my team, we believe that the good people should move up and the bad should be fired or passed over.

So on my team we advocate a philosophy that will lead to the result we both want.

Old 01-16-2013, 12:28 PM

605 posts, read 2,140,262 times
I'm trying to find the news article....several years ago there was a union planning to build a new office building for themselves. They reviewed several bids, both union and non-union. They chose the non-union bid because it was the least costly for the same work.

About four years ago, my husband and his boss were touring a manufacturing plant as they were interested in investing in the product and expanding the technology involved. The day they went, production had stopped because a copper valve had to be reset, basically turned off and on. They were told they had to wait for a copper union employee to do it, as anybody else turning the valve would be against their union contract. Production had stopped for several days for something that my toddler could habve done. My husband's company did not invest in this product.

Old 01-16-2013, 12:33 PM

14,780 posts, read 43,505,570 times
bob, what exactly do you do for a living that you are provided with the level of job security that you are advocating for?

Old 01-16-2013, 02:54 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,495,842 times
the city shoudl just eliminate the buses and let students use public transportation, walk or have their parents provide for their transportation. city money saved, problem solved.

Old 01-16-2013, 03:50 PM

14,780 posts, read 43,505,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
the city shoudl just eliminate the buses and let students use public transportation, walk or have their parents provide for their transportation. city money saved, problem solved.
I was surprised that NYC had as large of a bus fleet as it does. In Philly, once kids hit around 3rd grade or so they are issued SEPTA passes to take public transit. If you are below 3rd grade, then you only get bussing if you live a certain distance from the school. The only exception to the rule is if you are a special needs child, but their transport is usually covered under ADA regulations anyway.

Old 01-16-2013, 03:56 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,495,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJGOAT View Post
I was surprised that NYC had as large of a bus fleet as it does. In Philly, once kids hit around 3rd grade or so they are issued SEPTA passes to take public transit. If you are below 3rd grade, then you only get bussing if you live a certain distance from the school. The only exception to the rule is if you are a special needs child, but their transport is usually covered under ADA regulations anyway.
i work in brooklyn and its my understanding that the employees with kids dont have a bus picking up their kids. so im not sure who is fortunate enough to get the bus service and why them while not others.

oh i remember hearing this morning that its bus drivers and "matrons" on strike. i believe "matrons" are some kind of requirement now. id imagine they would be the first to go in any cost cutting initiative.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey