Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2013, 12:21 AM

12,380 posts, read 26,842,423 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Docendo discimus View Post
I would either drive all the way to Pru Center and park right there, OR, I would drive to Harrison and park there and take the PATH train into Newark (PATH train goes to Newark Penn, same as NJ Transit).

Advantages of taking PATH from Harrison:

• Driving to Harrison is less complicated than driving into and around Newark. Take GSP to 280 East and get off at Exit 16.
  • You avoid the concert car traffic around Pru Center.
  • Parking in Harrison is cheaper.
  • PATH is more reliable and runs much more frequently than NJ Transit so you have more flexibility time/schedule wise. You don't have to worry about NJ Transit trains getting off schedule (or you, yourself, getting off schedule because of the concert running late).
  • PATH fare is dirt cheap and the ride between Harrison and Newark is literally less than 2 minutes. (So why not just drive all the way into Newark, then? See first 3 bullet points above.)

NOTE: Regarding Hurricane Sandy--I am assuming that there are no overnight/weekend service issues with the PATH train out of Newark if you are only going to take it one stop over into Harrison. The PATH website currently says the following:

"...service to and from Exchange Place and World Trade Center remains suspended from 10 p.m. Friday until 6 a.m. Monday, until further notice"

I'm assuming that means that the Newark-to-WTC train won't go all the way to Exchange Place and the WTC stations, but the trains themselves are running as per normal between Newark, Harrison, JSQ & Grove St.

Can someone confirm that?
The PATH is back on regular timetables , but if your coming from the South it makes no sense to go over and park in Harrison....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2013, 12:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jericho79 View Post
Yes. But I've heard stories where late at night, some of the North Jersey Coast Line trains won't go all the way to Long Branch. One of my friends was riding the North Jersey Coast Line south on a Saturday evening, and his train went out of service at the Middletown station. He ended up having to transfer to a separate North Jersey Coast Line train to go further south.
The last train to depart is 1.45am from Newark Penn , all trains go to Long Branch but south of that theres no service.

Old 02-03-2013, 02:20 PM

88,509 posts, read 84,688,123 times
Quote:
Yes. But I've heard stories where late at night, some of the North Jersey Coast Line trains won't go all the way to Long Branch. One of my friends was riding the North Jersey Coast Line south on a Saturday evening, and his train went out of service at the Middletown station. He ended up having to transfer to a separate North Jersey Coast Line train to go further south.
Unless the train broke down or something, your friend would have known that just by checking the schedule before he got on the train. I have never heard of a train stopping at Middletown--sometimes they only go as far as South Amboy or Aberdeen and then you have to switch trains, but I suppose it's possible. I am not as familiar with the late-night trains. And many of the trains only go to Long Branch and then you have to switch to go further south because of the electric/diesel issue.

Old 02-03-2013, 05:03 PM

88 posts, read 201,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexis4Jersey View Post
The last train to depart is 1.45am from Newark Penn , all trains go to Long Branch but south of that theres no service.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
And many of the trains only go to Long Branch and then you have to switch to go further south because of the electric/diesel issue.
Sorry. I misspoke.

My friend had to get off at Long Branch and catch a separate train on the other side of the platform in order to return to Asbury Park.

I always wondered why the "Long Branch" station was in bold on the NJT North Jersey Coast Line Wikipedia article.

Old 02-03-2013, 05:10 PM

75 posts, read 130,296 times
If you are going to drink, take the train.

Old 02-03-2013, 07:24 PM

2,160 posts, read 4,963,074 times
Quote:
The PATH is back on regular timetables , but if your coming from the South it makes no sense to go over and park in Harrison....
Yeah, I was talking about if the OP decides she wants to drive to Pru Center (instead of taking NJ Transit), she might want to consider parking in Harrison and taking the PATH to the arena. It would be like a shuttle ride. And like I said, parking is cheaper in Harrison.

I don't know how bad concert traffic gets around there. I've driven to shows at other venues and it's taken forever to get out of the parking lot and on to the main highway.

Old 02-04-2013, 03:51 PM

Quote:
This may sound like a stupid question. But I figured I'd ask- since it's Newark.

Would it be safe to walk from the Pru Center to Penn Station after the concert. And would it be safe to wait on the platform for the 1:45 AM train?

I was hoping that there would be heavy police presence around the Pru Center and throughout Penn Station (including the platforms).

Old 02-04-2013, 04:44 PM

Quote:
This may sound like a stupid question. But I figured I'd ask- since it's Newark.

Would it be safe to walk from the Pru Center to Penn Station after the concert. And would it be safe to wait on the platform for the 1:45 AM train?

I was hoping that there would be heavy police presence around the Pru Center and throughout Penn Station (including the platforms).
The Station is open 24/7 , its also where they have the NJT , and Amtrak PD North Jersey HQ , so its staffed all day by a few cops. Theres always a heavy police presence in Downtown Newark which is most evident on game or event days , they mostly keep the peace and direct traffic. Your biggest worries should be safely crossing Highway 21...which is a speed strip after hrs....and in general.

Old 02-04-2013, 06:32 PM

4,073 posts, read 8,976,235 times
Quote:

I think your best bet would be to sell those tickets on stubhub. You really don't seem like you want to go anywhere near Newark.

Old 02-04-2013, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HalfFull View Post
I think your best bet would be to sell those tickets on stubhub. You really don't seem like you want to go anywhere near Newark.
As I mentioned in my OP, I used to attend NJIT on the other side of the Pru Center. And driving from the NJIT campus to the Parkway late at night isn't exactly a scenic drive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey