Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2013, 05:12 AM

50,339 posts, read 35,989,770 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by colorfulchic83 View Post
Although everyone should wear a seat belt, I thought they couldn't stop you for not wearing one but could ticket you for it if they stopped you for something else and you didn't wear one? Did the law change? Either way, wear it. I make all my passengers wear it, and do not drive off unless they do.
Yes, they changed it. The change is what kicked off the "Click it or Ticket" campaign. I always wear mine too, in fact wore it long before it was law. I feel weird if it's not on even if it's just to change parking spaces or something. I read a Dear Abby years ago where a cop wrote in to say that in 20 years, he had never had to unbuckle a dead person, and that always stayed with me. Also my car does NOT move if my passenger isn't buckled, too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2013, 06:41 AM

908 posts, read 1,550,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
Yes, they changed it. The change is what kicked off the "Click it or Ticket" campaign. I always wear mine too, in fact wore it long before it was law. I feel weird if it's not on even if it's just to change parking spaces or something. I read a Dear Abby years ago where a cop wrote in to say that in 20 years, he had never had to unbuckle a dead person, and that always stayed with me. Also my car does NOT move if my passenger isn't buckled, too.
It saves lives, and is simple to do. I don't know why someone wouldn't wear it.

Old 01-31-2013, 06:42 AM

19,056 posts, read 25,186,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnfrisco View Post
Come on! Who wants to be restricted by a seat belt? It violates my rights to move freely through my car.
Folks, if the above comment does not indicate that Mr. Frisco is trolling, then I don't know what other proof you would need.

This is the same person who claimed to be unaware of the approach of Superstorm Sandy, and then wanted to know where to buy an emergency generator a couple of hours before the storm hit--in other words, a day or so after all of the major retailers had sold-out their stock of generators as a result of the incredible amount of media hype regarding the approach of the storm.

Just as many of us concluded that he was engaged in trolling at that time, I believe that his comments in this thread are further proof that he is trolling.

Don't feed the troll!

Old 01-31-2013, 06:45 AM

908 posts, read 1,550,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by captne76 View Post
Yep, about a year after they passed the seatbelt law they came out and changed it so they can stop you just for that.
In my book cops have no business involving themselves in motor vehicle matters at all, but that is in my book, not theirs. I got one of these a few years ago, just for that and no other reason.
My only issue with that is you really can't always tell if someone isn't wearing it. Some cops who forgot their job is to serve and protect use this as a means to violate people's rights. I know plenty who are pulled over for not wearing a seat-belt, when they had one one, or having a broken taillight when it actually worked. Going to traffic court on B.S charges is frustrating, especially when you see rich white ladies getting away with multiple DUI's, and the little guy, black or white, is getting jilted on some B.S charge that should have been tossed out anyway because he was illegally pulled over. Cops like that give the good cops a very bad name, and destroy public trust.

Old 01-31-2013, 07:16 AM

13,380 posts, read 28,638,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Docendo discimus View Post
I got ticketed for not wearing my seat belt once. It was a long time ago (I was young & stupid and thought I was invincible, I suppose). It happened while I was stopped at a red light in the middle of town. The township was doing some kind of crackdown. A local cop knocked on my window (scared the crap out of me) and told me to pull over into a gas station parking lot where 3 or 4 other people were getting tickets for not wearing their seat belts. I don't remember how much it was...in the $50-ish range, I think. And no points. But mine wasn't issued by a state trooper on the GSP.

Also, I have to ask...a state trooper really pulled you over on the GSP for not wearing your seat belt? Or did he pull you over for something else, notice you weren't wearing your seat belt on top of that, and then give you a ticket for the seat belt since the noncompliance was right there in his face?
BINGO

Last edited by observer53; 02-05-2013 at 09:32 AM.. Reason: fixed broken quote tag

Old 01-31-2013, 07:23 AM

26,585 posts, read 61,896,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by colorfulchic83 View Post
My only issue with that is you really can't always tell if someone isn't wearing it. Some cops who forgot their job is to serve and protect use this as a means to violate people's rights. I know plenty who are pulled over for not wearing a seat-belt, when they had one one, or having a broken taillight when it actually worked. Going to traffic court on B.S charges is frustrating, especially when you see rich white ladies getting away with multiple DUI's, and the little guy, black or white, is getting jilted on some B.S charge that should have been tossed out anyway because he was illegally pulled over. Cops like that give the good cops a very bad name, and destroy public trust.
What "rich white ladies" got away with a DUI. Please post a link to a published report of this.

Sometimes cops will use an excuse to pull someone over based on a hunch. If it turns out the person was doing nothing wrong, they are sent on their way (it's happened to me), if they are doing something wrong, sometimes it's something REALLY wrong, and major crimes have been solved this way.

In my experience, I've never been pulled over when I wasn't doing something to at least raise an eyebrow--even if it wasn't technically against the law.

Old 01-31-2013, 07:24 AM
PDD

8,773 posts, read 18,326,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by captne76 View Post
Yep, about a year after they passed the seatbelt law they came out and changed it so they can stop you just for that.
In my book cops have no business involving themselves in motor vehicle matters at all, but that is in my book, not theirs. I got one of these a few years ago, just for that and no other reason.
So the police should not be involved on motor vehicle matters.

So who do you suggest investigates crashes or takes command of emergency situations on the highway?

Who is gonna pull over the wacko who is weaving back and fourth on the road because he has had too much to drink?

Who is going to enforce the speed limit?

If the cops are not out on the roads enforcing the laws we are all in danger of the maniacs out there.

Old 01-31-2013, 07:27 AM

19,056 posts, read 25,186,477 times
Well, on second thought, perhaps Mr. Frisco is not trolling.
However, the other possibility--that he does not learn from his experiences--is equally unflattering.

Please take a look at the thread noted below, that he posted almost 3 years ago:
How can a cop prove I wasn't wearing my seatbelt?

Old 01-31-2013, 07:29 AM

12,283 posts, read 35,616,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDD View Post
So the police should not be involved on motor vehicle matters.

So who do you suggest investigates crashes or takes command of emergency situations on the highway?

Who is gonna pull over the wacko who is weaving back and fourth on the road because he has had too much to drink?

Who is going to enforce the speed limit?

If the cops are not out on the roads enforcing the laws we are all in danger of the maniacs out there.
it's really amazing to find out how some people's minds work thanks to the internets.

Old 01-31-2013, 07:30 AM

12,283 posts, read 35,616,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retriever View Post
Folks, if the above comment does not indicate that Mr. Frisco is trolling, then I don't know what other proof you would need.

This is the same person who claimed to be unaware of the approach of Superstorm Sandy, and then wanted to know where to buy an emergency generator a couple of hours before the storm hit--in other words, a day or so after all of the major retailers had sold-out their stock of generators as a result of the incredible amount of media hype regarding the approach of the storm.

Just as many of us concluded that he was engaged in trolling at that time, I believe that his comments in this thread are further proof that he is trolling.

Don't feed the troll!
if he's even halfway real with the crap he posts, he's got to the be the most egregious offender of the concept of "personal responsibility" that I've ever come across.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey