Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2013, 06:17 PM

2,160 posts, read 4,949,080 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnfrisco View Post
Yeah I have been using my seat belt since I got the ticket. Feels strange to feel so restricted, but I will get use to that constrained feeling. Thanks.
I'm glad you are now using your seat belt.

As for that "constrained" feeling, maybe you need a Tiddy Bear:

Tiddy Bear - Funny Infomercial - YouTube
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2013, 07:50 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,541,828 times
Quote:
4) The area where the trooper pulled me over was extremely dangerous (Clifton North Bound). No shoulders on the road. Is this worth putting his and my life at risk?
you figure someone is going to mug you and a cop?

Old 01-31-2013, 11:44 PM

9,006 posts, read 13,786,956 times
I know seat belts are safe,,prevent you flying throught the windshield,yadda yadda.

However,have seat belts ever restricted someone that needs to be pulled out of a burning car?
Not being a trol,but I have heard of people that couldn't unbuckle a seat belt in time to escape before the car exploded.
Also,can't a person be decapitated by a seabelt in an accident?

Old 02-01-2013, 05:15 AM

19,056 posts, read 25,182,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseygal4u View Post
However, have seat belts ever restricted someone that needs to be pulled out of a burning car?
Not being a trol, but I have heard of people that couldn't unbuckle a seat belt in time to escape before the car exploded.
(More than likely, those people whom you have heard of were mentioned in one of the perpetual spam e-mails that circulate on the internet. See below for details.)

Also, can't a person be decapitated by a seabelt in an accident?
(Perhaps the French government should have abandoned the guillotine many years earlier, and substituted seatbelts for that deadly blade? )

Statistically, only about .1% of accident deaths are the result of someone being trapped in a car that is either submerged or on fire. In addition to the extremely low probability of someone being killed in those circumstances, you should factor in the reality that someone who is unbelted is much more likely to be very seriously injured or knocked unconscious in an accident, thus making it impossible for him/her to escape from a vehicle, so an unbelted person is actually more likely to be, "trapped", in his or her car. Think about it!

Along this line of thinking, I had an elderly relative who became more and more illogical as she aged. When she bought a new car with shoulder harnesses, she actually took a paring knife to the seatbelts, and cut them out of her new car! When I asked her why she did this, her answer was something to the effect of...What if my hands were broken in an accident, the car caught on fire, and I was unable to open the buckle on that seatbelt? My response to her was, "Well, if your hands were broken, you would also be unable to open the door, so the outcome would be the same". She did not like the introduction of logic into her argument, unfortunately, and just went on with her rant about, "government seatbelt conspiracies", or some nonsense to that effect.

For a well-researched analysis of your theory, please take a look at:
snopes.com: Seatbelt Risk

Could someone be decapitated by a seatbelt? Well, I suppose that if someone placed a sharp knife between the shoulder harness and his/her neck, this might be possible , but I think that being decapitated by a properly-placed shoulder harness is about as unlikely as you can get. I have seen people riding with their shoulder harness placed squarely on their neck, and this type of misuse can lead to a broken neck, but misuse of many items can be fatal. After all, it is possible to kill yourself by overdosing on Vitamin A, but that would be a case of misuse, and the isolated cases of Vitamin A toxicity should not prevent someone from taking appropriate doses of vitamin supplements.

Decapitation from a seatbelt? I have not found any credible information to that effect, but if you can find it, please post it.

For a look at the ultimate irony on this topic, you might find this interesting:
snopes.com: Seat Belt Death

Last edited by Retriever; 02-01-2013 at 05:33 AM..

Old 02-01-2013, 06:32 AM

11,337 posts, read 10,993,307 times
Quote:
Yeah I have been using my seat belt since I got the ticket. Feels strange to feel so restricted, but I will get use to that constrained feeling. Thanks.
Well done. This attitude in general will allow you to be around to give good advice to 25 year olds when you are 50.

Old 02-01-2013, 07:37 AM

12,546 posts, read 21,353,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by colorfulchic83 View Post
Although everyone should wear a seat belt, I thought they couldn't stop you for not wearing one but could ticket you for it if they stopped you for something else and you didn't wear one? Did the law change? Either way, wear it. I make all my passengers wear it, and do not drive off unless they do.
a coupe of years ago they changed it to a primary offense from a secondary offense, so they can stop you for just that.

Old 02-01-2013, 07:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
this is a horrible attempt to make up a good reason. the better attempt is the one saying it costs to have to pay people to rescue you and for the medical costs.

the real reason ultimately is that they wanted to lower the statistics of automobile deaths so this was one thing to try to do that.
they want to lower automabile fatalities AND reduce societal costs. the revenue from stupid people doesn't hurt either. lol

Old 02-01-2013, 07:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by colorfulchic83 View Post
My only issue with that is you really can't always tell if someone isn't wearing it. Some cops who forgot their job is to serve and protect use this as a means to violate people's rights. I know plenty who are pulled over for not wearing a seat-belt, when they had one one, or having a broken taillight when it actually worked. Going to traffic court on B.S charges is frustrating, especially when you see rich white ladies getting away with multiple DUI's, and the little guy, black or white, is getting jilted on some B.S charge that should have been tossed out anyway because he was illegally pulled over. Cops like that give the good cops a very bad name, and destroy public trust.
are cops perfect? no

is it difficult to tell if someone has a seatbelt on? no (look at the part of the driver's side where the seatbelt holsters and it it isn't extended, they aren't wearing it - it's easier than you think).

Old 02-01-2013, 07:54 AM

Quote:
That's not the case with me yesterday. The trooper specifically said he is part of the seat belt enforcement and saw I didn't put on my seat belt until he put on his lights on. He specifically pulled me over for that reason.

He was out there with a mission to get people not wearing seat belts. "Click it ot Ticket" They are enforcing that.
you've gotten pulled over twice in 3 years for not wearing a seatbelt - maybe they just have your license stored in a database of idiots-to-pull-over and when you drove by, he received an alert? that seems to be the most logical explanation to me.

Old 02-01-2013, 07:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseygal4u View Post
I know seat belts are safe,,prevent you flying throught the windshield,yadda yadda.

However,have seat belts ever restricted someone that needs to be pulled out of a burning car?
Not being a trol,but I have heard of people that couldn't unbuckle a seat belt in time to escape before the car exploded.
Also,can't a person be decapitated by a seabelt in an accident?
the stats don't favor your point, but you're not wrong. i had a friend in high school who would have likely died or at least been severely crippled had he not been thrown from his K-Car. he hit a tree and the engine ended up in the driver's seat (quality vehicle back then). he was thrown from the car and broke his leg instead of being crushed by an engine. but that's an anomoly, not the norm.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey