Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2013, 04:16 PM

2,715 posts, read 11,859,754 times

Advertisements

Got one today in the heavy fog by a NJ Trooper on GSP?

1) How the heck did he see I was not was not wearing one?

2) It's a stupid law to begin with. I am not hurting anyone else by not wearing my seat belt.

3) How much is the ticket? From what I read online from njmvc.com they don't even mention it. So I assume there are no points associated with it. I checked the ticket fine online to pay it--but it's not in the system yet?

4) The area where the trooper pulled me over was extremely dangerous (Clifton North Bound). No shoulders on the road. Is this worth putting his and my life at risk?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2013, 04:21 PM

10,219 posts, read 19,125,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnfrisco View Post
Got one today in the heavy fog by a NJ Trooper on GSP?

1) How the heck did he see I was not was not wearing one?
Don't know, but obviously he did.

Quote:
2) It's a stupid law to begin with. I am not hurting anyone else by not wearing my seat belt.
The state is mother, the state is father.

Quote:
4) The area where the trooper pulled me over was extremely dangerous (Clifton North Bound). No shoulders on the road. Is this worth putting his and my life at risk?
Obviously you're already a risk taker, so why should it matter where he pulls you over. Think of it this way: if he had gotten hit, you would have gotten out of the ticket.

Old 01-30-2013, 04:22 PM

819 posts, read 3,201,216 times
Because if you get in an accident, your body flying through the windsheild could strike and kill somebody.

Old 01-30-2013, 04:24 PM

19,050 posts, read 25,163,529 times
Quote:
I am not hurting anyone else by not wearing my seat belt.
Actually, you are hurting the wallets of other people.
When you sustain much more severe injuries as a result of not wearing a seat belt, the increased medical expenses are passed along to everyone else, in the form of higher premiums. Or...did you think that the executives of your health insurance company just absorb those extra costs out of the goodness of their hearts?

Just as I resent having to subsidize the health care costs of people who smoke or who are morbidly obese, I also resent having to subsidize the health care costs of people who refuse to wear seat belts.

Old 01-30-2013, 04:26 PM

7,776 posts, read 12,392,683 times
You are going to be protected by big brother whether you like it or not.

Old 01-30-2013, 04:27 PM

99 posts, read 314,593 times
Don't know you personal situation but here's two reasons why you should wear your seat belt. Even if you are in a minor accident you can lose control because you are thrown away from the steering wheel and brake pedal and could then hit someone else causing their death! Second, I know a man who did not wear his belt and his car was hit on the passenger side. This caused him ti slide across the seat and crush his wife who was in the passenger seat ! She died but he survived just because she cushioned him. They both would have survived if he had worn his seat belt. Wise up and WEAR YOUR SEAT BELT!!

Old 01-30-2013, 04:35 PM

1,471 posts, read 3,440,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdotAllen View Post
Because if you get in an accident, your body flying through the windsheild could strike and kill somebody.

^. This. This. So this.

Old 01-30-2013, 04:45 PM

2,715 posts, read 11,859,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zhelder View Post
^. This. This. So this.
No the air bags would stop that from happening.

Old 01-30-2013, 05:04 PM

2,160 posts, read 4,946,373 times
I got ticketed for not wearing my seat belt once. It was a long time ago (I was young & stupid and thought I was invincible, I suppose). It happened while I was stopped at a red light in the middle of town. The township was doing some kind of crackdown. A local cop knocked on my window (scared the crap out of me) and told me to pull over into a gas station parking lot where 3 or 4 other people were getting tickets for not wearing their seat belts. I don't remember how much it was...in the $50-ish range, I think. And no points. But mine wasn't issued by a state trooper on the GSP.

Also, I have to ask...a state trooper really pulled you over on the GSP for not wearing your seat belt? Or did he pull you over for something else, notice you weren't wearing your seat belt on top of that, and then give you a ticket for the seat belt since the noncompliance was right there in his face?

Old 01-30-2013, 05:08 PM

19,050 posts, read 25,163,529 times
Quote:
No the air bags would stop that from happening.
Either you are trolling or you are incredibly ignorant about how seatbelts, in combination with airbags, help to prevent you from receiving more severe injuries and/or from being ejected from the vehicle.

Unless you have a seatbelt holding you in the proper position relative to the airbag, that airbag will do little or nothing to help you, and--in fact--could wind up inflicting more harm to you. I strongly suggest that you do some research in order to fill in the gaps in your knowledge on this topic.

By the way...have you found your emergency generator yet, or are you going to wait until after the next superstorm arrives?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey