Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2013, 10:49 AM

12,283 posts, read 35,688,247 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJGOAT View Post
Other way around. It was "I" in 1990 and "J" in 2000. It will be interesting to see where everything ends up when they recalculate it off the 2010 census.
My bad.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2013, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJGOAT View Post
I looked at the stats for Franklin Lakes and compared them to Ho Ho Kus. While they have very similar income levels, there is a much higher poverty rate in Franklin Lakes, 3.1% in Franklin Lakes vs. 0.7% in Ho Ho Kus (other "J" towns are all under 1% or have higher income). So while they are rather similar on the surface, the higher poverty rate must be influencing the move of Franklin Lakes down a notch.

It's all relative. It may seem that way to you, but an outsider may see it differently. Either way, perception or not, these rankings are about as cold and calculated as you can get.
I can't believe the poverty rate in FL is 3.1%!

Old 02-01-2013, 11:03 AM

24,488 posts, read 41,138,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tahiti View Post
goes to show you how lucky a majority of NJ'ians are if a wealthy suburb feels middle class. btw - ww was I in 2000, not J.
WW was J in 2000 according to the link provided. I don't know if lucky is the right word... but we certainly have appreciation for hard work paying off.

Old 02-01-2013, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
WW was J in 2000 according to the link provided. I don't know if lucky is the right word... but we certainly have appreciation for hard work paying off.
you live in the best place in the whole wide world!

Old 02-01-2013, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tahiti View Post
you live in the best place in the whole wide world!
You may think that. I personally have my eyes on other areas. It wasn't my first choice. But my families here, my gf's family is here (she grew up here as well) and the train station is convenient. I'm not saying it's a horrible place but I miss living in the NYC.

Honestly, though, I might suggest you venture into Europe more. There's plenty of places which feel like heaven compared to NJ.

Old 02-01-2013, 12:15 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,693,520 times
Quote:
You may think that. I personally have my eyes on other areas. It wasn't my first choice. But my families here, my gf's family is here (she grew up here as well) and the train station is convenient. I'm not saying it's a horrible place but I miss living in the NYC.

Honestly, though, I might suggest you venture into Europe more. There's plenty of places which feel like heaven compared to NJ.
what places feel like heaven? my wife had a great trip to laquila italy and then soon after it was destroyed by an earthquake so that others cant enjoy it like she did. but maybe one day in the future ill go there on vacation.

id love to move further away from nyc. id like a mcmansion on 2+ acres of property. i could even harden it to prepare for the zombie apocolypse. but there is that commute to worry about.

Old 02-01-2013, 12:18 PM

1,471 posts, read 3,461,026 times
I guess when the Real Housewives moved into Franklin Lakes, they brought the DFG rating down from a "J" to an "I", LOL. That had to have been a computational error. There's no way that a town like Glen Rock, which is currently a "J" district, is more affluent than Franklin Lakes.

BTW, since the topic has been raised and new DFG rankings should be out in the next year or two, does anyone have any predictions for changes? I have a few:

Paramus and Wayne both get bumped up to "I" from "GH".

Leonia goes back to "I" from "GH".

Plainfield goes down to "A" from "B". Possibly Linden too.

Franklin Lakes, for sure, goes back to "J".

Cherry Hill goes back to "I" from "GH".

Hillsdale goes to "I" from "GH", and Pascack Valley goes to "J" from "I". (I think Westwood and Emerson will remain at "GH".)

Allendale goes up to "J" from "I".

Woodbridge goes down to "CD" from "DE". Ditto for Bloomfield.

Belleville goes down to "B" from "CD".

Clifton stays at "CD" for 2010, but it wouldn't surprise me if they go down to "B" for 2020.

Any other predictions?

Old 02-01-2013, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
what places feel like heaven? my wife had a great trip to laquila italy and then soon after it was destroyed by an earthquake so that others cant enjoy it like she did. but maybe one day in the future ill go there on vacation.

id love to move further away from nyc. id like a mcmansion on 2+ acres of property. i could even harden it to prepare for the zombie apocolypse. but there is that commute to worry about.
If you speak French, Namur, Belgium is a great place to visit.

The commute to NYC from Princeton Junction isn't too bad. About an hour train ride into Manhattan.

Old 02-01-2013, 12:38 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,693,520 times
Quote:
If you speak French, Namur, Belgium is a great place to visit.

The commute to NYC from Princeton Junction isn't too bad. About an hour train ride into Manhattan.
i dont speak french, but i can fake it. i like french food.

i work in brooklyn though, so that would ad anouther hour or so.

Old 02-01-2013, 01:11 PM

14,780 posts, read 43,687,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zhelder View Post
I guess when the Real Housewives moved into Franklin Lakes, they brought the DFG rating down from a "J" to an "I", LOL. That had to have been a computational error. There's no way that a town like Glen Rock, which is currently a "J" district, is more affluent than Franklin Lakes.
Town..............Median Income 2000...Median Income 2010...% Poverty 2000...% Poverty 2010
Franklin Lakes...$132,373..................$151,224........ ..........3.1%..................0.7%
Glen Rock.........$111,280..................$160,360... ...............2.0%..................0.6%

Poverty rate in Glen Rock was much lower in 2000. though Franklin Lakes held a good edge on income. As of 2010, it appears Glen Rock is a wealthier community then Franklin Lakes, though I am sure with the drop in poverty it will regain it's "J" designation. Remember too that the numbers are also influenced by educational attainment, so it could have been that more people in Glen Rock had advanced degrees or something like that back in 2000.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey