Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-04-2013, 10:16 AM

2 posts, read 2,088 times

Advertisements

So my situation is a little complicated, but hopefully you will all have some answers for me. I'm also going to use some (fake) numbers, so that hopefully it will be easier to explain.

Facts:
- Wife and I owned a co-op in NY
- We sold this co-op on Aug 23, and bought a house in NJ on Aug 24. This was 236 days into a 366 day year, or .644809%.
- Wife worked 3 jobs in NY between Jan 1 and Aug 23, earning a total of $40K.
- From Aug 24 till Dec 31, wife worked in NJ, earning a total of $20K.
- I work 1 job in NY (which I still currently work at), making $100K. My job changed my payroll address (and thus stopped charging me NYC income tax) for the Aug 31 payroll (thus encompassing Aug 15-23 when I still lived in NY).

How will this work as far as year end taxes? I am doing my taxes online on taxact, and it started asking me about prorating, how much income I made while living in NY vs NJ, etc. I need some help with the distinction between 1) working in NY vs NJ and 2) living in NY vs NJ.

Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2013, 10:05 AM

2 posts, read 2,088 times
bump

Old 02-07-2013, 11:55 AM

14,780 posts, read 43,665,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yoshapman View Post
So my situation is a little complicated, but hopefully you will all have some answers for me. I'm also going to use some (fake) numbers, so that hopefully it will be easier to explain.

Facts:
- Wife and I owned a co-op in NY
- We sold this co-op on Aug 23, and bought a house in NJ on Aug 24. This was 236 days into a 366 day year, or .644809%.
- Wife worked 3 jobs in NY between Jan 1 and Aug 23, earning a total of $40K.
- From Aug 24 till Dec 31, wife worked in NJ, earning a total of $20K.
- I work 1 job in NY (which I still currently work at), making $100K. My job changed my payroll address (and thus stopped charging me NYC income tax) for the Aug 31 payroll (thus encompassing Aug 15-23 when I still lived in NY).

How will this work as far as year end taxes? I am doing my taxes online on taxact, and it started asking me about prorating, how much income I made while living in NY vs NJ, etc. I need some help with the distinction between 1) working in NY vs NJ and 2) living in NY vs NJ.

Thank you.
Basically you end up filing two state tax returns, one to NJ and one to NY based on where you resided. You owe NY for the time you lived in NY and you owe NJ for the time you lived in NJ. These are generally referred to as "part year resident returns" and in some states are a separate form, while others use the regular forms with different calculations. Using the software like you are, it should pick the right form to use and do the calculations based on what you tell it.

For your wife...

If I understand correctly she had three jobs in NY, which means she has three W-2's (or 1099's) from each of those employers. After moving to NJ, she started a new job in NJ as a NJ resident and has received a W-2 (or 1099) from that employer.

If that's the case then what you will do is file her three NY based W-2's (or 1099's) on your NY return and then file her one NJ based W-2 on your NJ return. Do not put her NY jobs on the NJ one and vice versa. So, your wife's is pretty simple. She made "$40k" in NY and "$20k" in NJ.

For you...

Since you kept the same job, you need to pro-rate your pay between the two states you lived in even though you only received one W-2. You already did the calculation. Take your "$100k" and divide it between the two states appropriately. Using your .6448% you would claim "$64,480" on your NY return and "$35,520" on your NJ return. You don't really need to be that precise and could round it to "$65k" and "$35k" respectively or "$64k" and "$36k" if that would be slightly more advantageous.

So, you will end up with the following...

A NY state return that shows you and your wife earned a combined "$105k" (her $40k + your $65k).

A NJ state return that shows you and your wife earned a combined "$55k" (her $20k + your $35k).

A Federal return that shows your total earnings of "$160k" (her $60k + your $100k).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey