Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2013, 11:58 AM

908 posts, read 1,554,650 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by taha-nj View Post
I'd still be commuting to work in central jersey, so Philly burbs are exactly what I have in mind (including some in Bucks county, but taxes there are relatively high as well).

The craziness of the situation becomes apparent in a place like New Hope vs. Lambertville, where I saw comparable houses on the PA side with 4-5k taxes, but 8k or more in NJ right across the river. Plus New Hope is considered a little more upscale with better schools, so doesn't really make any sense...
Maybe when NJ starts losing population at a considerable rate the taxes will go down? Its a wish, but unlikely to happen. Whatever you do, visit the place MANY times before moving there. Even places where you wouldn't think would be too different socially, NJ/NY folks may still experience great culture shock. Philly burbs are pretty good though. Wish you well where ever you move. We're going, going, back, back to Jersey, Jersey. Ok, enough of the HS flashbacks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2013, 12:29 PM

17,573 posts, read 46,126,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by colorfulchic83 View Post
Maybe when NJ starts losing population at a considerable rate the taxes will go down? Its a wish, but unlikely to happen.
Taxes would go up if that happened.

Old 02-09-2013, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by manderly6 View Post
Taxes would go up if that happened.
Actually, no. The higher & more densely populated a place is, the more taxes are paid because more resources are needed to support higher populations. Rural places pay little because they don't need as much resources.

Old 02-09-2013, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Actually, no. The higher & more densely populated a place is, the more taxes are paid because more resources are needed to support higher populations. Rural places pay little because they don't need as much resources.
You actually think that would happen in NJ? Good one.

Old 02-09-2013, 01:25 PM

10,222 posts, read 19,201,005 times
Quote:
Once governments get accustomed to a certain level of revenue they're loathe to give it up. As people move out, they increase the taxes on those who remain, which drives more people out, until you end up in a place where they can't get any more revenue no matter how high they increase the taxes.

Old 02-09-2013, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by manderly6 View Post
You actually think that would happen in NJ? Good one.
No, I don't think it will happen. NJ will always be densely populated. That's why I said, "Its a wish, but unlikely to happen."

Old 02-09-2013, 01:57 PM

Quote:
No, I don't think it will happen. NJ will always be densely populated. That's why I said, "Its a wish, but unlikely to happen."
You missed my point.

Old 02-09-2013, 02:00 PM

4,940 posts, read 12,139,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T_Sporano View Post
New Mexico is cold?
Believe it or not, yes, New Mexico is very cold in winter. The northern half of the state is very mountainous and gets a lot of snow. Albuquerque is 41 degrees as I'm typing this.

Old 02-09-2013, 02:07 PM

4,940 posts, read 12,139,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ice Cream Man View Post

I have tried living in other states and regions. I lived in Charlotte for a short time and the area felt country, bland and boring.
I agree, I never understood the attraction of North Carolina. Basically you drive through the middle of nowhere and then suddenly a city pops up that is essentially just filled with strip malls and cookie cutter housing. At least that was my impression the times I've been down there. I also have friends that moved down there and then moved back to NJ because of southern bias against northerners.

Old 02-09-2013, 02:08 PM

3,617 posts, read 3,881,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nybbler View Post
Once governments get accustomed to a certain level of revenue they're loathe to give it up. As people move out, they increase the taxes on those who remain, which drives more people out, until you end up in a place where they can't get any more revenue no matter how high they increase the taxes.
In the abstract you are completely correct, and you see that in places like Detroit. In the specific, there is enough wealth in NJ that the government could substantially increase taxes even further (although hopefully they won't) without causing that type of population death spiral. Granted, if you say doubled taxes here you'd see a good number of retired people leaving and property values would decline precipitously, but you wouldn't see the population crater/death spiral like it does in areas where local taxes go above non-tax housing costs. There's enough of a cushion to prevent that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey