Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-09-2013, 08:37 AM

143 posts, read 208,358 times

Advertisements

I made an offer to a townhouse in Woodbridge, NJ. The property needs new hard wood flooring in living room and new carpeting in 2 bed rooms.

I am wondering how to go about shopping for it. Should I go for Empire Today, they apparently have some specials going on.
Or should I hire an independant contractor and buy the carpeting/hard wood from lowes or homedepot?

I am a first time home buyer and so have no experience, just dont want to get ripped off
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2013, 08:42 AM

11,336 posts, read 16,689,377 times
Check out World Wide Carpet (Hardwood) in Edison on Route 1 South.

Old 02-09-2013, 09:40 AM

1,171 posts, read 2,681,247 times
When I was shopping for carpet what I did was decide on what type I wanted by visiting several stores. Then I either got a sample or wrote the name/brand/etc down. I then visited several stores to see who would give me the best deal. You also need to get the rooms measured or you will not be able to get an accurate estimate.

I did some research on Empire and the only way to get a decent deal with them is to haggle and you need to know what the going rate is for what you want. They will initially quote you a very high price and then work down until you agree. I didn't want to be bothered with that so I stayed away. If your read reviews on them they are generally not good. Just because they get an A rating with the BBB only means that they rectified complaints. The most important you have to look at is how many complaints they have had compared to other companies in the same business with similar volume. They may settle after a complaint is filed but so you really want to go through all that? Not worth the time and aggravation IMO and I'd rather give my business to a local company.

Old 02-09-2013, 10:06 AM

17,573 posts, read 46,123,839 times
Are you sure it needs new floors? Can they be refinished?

Personally I wouldn't go to Empire. I would try and find a local flooring place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey