Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2013, 09:29 PM

1,352 posts, read 1,531,382 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjake54 View Post
Police no longer have to enter your license plate number; cameras on the exterior of some patrol cars scan passing tags & check data bases for owners & drivers:
Electronic scanners can help nab bad guys | NJ.com
High-tech license plate reader helps Perth Amboy police track cars | NJ.com
"The automated license plate reader ... takes pictures of every license plate that passes by, then scans it against national and local databases – for stolen cars ..., Amber alerts, suspended licenses, even down to expired registrations. ... the “be on the lookout,” or “BOLO,” list – ... can include information from the National Crime Information Center, the U.S. Department of Homeland Security, as well as the state Motor Vehicle Commission."

Automatic number plate recognition - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Surveillance State - Automatic Licence Plate Scanners (ALPR) | New Jersey Criminal Defense Lawyer

I've seen these on some police cars. Asked the officer driving what they were and he gave me a basic explanation of what they were, and what they did. Big Brother is getting closer and closer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2013, 09:59 PM

3,244 posts, read 5,241,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue biker View Post
Big Brother is getting closer and closer.
HowStuffWorks "How Facial Recognition Systems Work"

Old 03-02-2013, 09:35 AM

2,105 posts, read 6,662,922 times
Plate readers are not as efficient as one would think. Reading the plate takes perfect setup and the interfaces are problematic. They require a significant investment in equipment beyond what's installed in the car. For that reason few agencies will put funds into them.

Recently a article was published in a industry periodical detailing the issues with data overload. You can run thousands of plates but then what do you do with all that data? you can't deal with all of it. Unless it's specifically limited to a serious offenses, it becomes a hindrance. Even with that, the vehicle ownership does not necessarily determine who is actually operating the vehicle. Even manually entering plates has that limitation and policies to follow when a "hit" is obtained.

Old 03-02-2013, 03:22 PM

147 posts, read 389,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rscalzo View Post
A lookup at the dispatch center via the DMV / SCIC system is vastly different that what is displayed on today's MDT's. It's a two step process. First is the status. It that results in a reason for the actual stop, it can be moved to the second level giving much more detailed info.

But new software was installed recently so I'm somewhat out of date. But I have never seen insurance info given on a NJ reg through the system. NY lookups had insurance info but it was not prove of a valid policy. Many simply paid a deposit to get a card, then defaulted. Trying to call the company and getting the info is next to impossible. If they do supply, many will only fax or mail to the agency.

Many times [policies that appeared valid at the scene of a mva or between parties that exchange info would be found not to be valid at a later day. But after thirty days , a summons could not be issued. But insurance companies have provided so many ways to get a valid card online there is no reason not to have one any longer.
But NJ will not accept a downloaded card as valid except temporarily, my insurance company told me. I have to wait for the permanent card in the mail. Nearly 20 years ago, my insurance co. raised my rate after I got a ticket, so there must be some connection. Personally I don't like the idea of the government giving out my information to private companies or vice-versa.

There's too much room for abuse. A cop asked for my telephone number a few years ago after he called for help when my car conked out in the middle of the road. The number was unlisted. A few weeks later I started to get calls purporting to be from police charities asking for donations. But the police aren't allowed to make calls like that so I knew it must be a scam and the cop must have given them my number.

Old 03-03-2013, 08:23 PM

5,536 posts, read 7,111,240 times
Quote:
Police no longer have to enter your license plate number; cameras on the exterior of some patrol cars scan passing tags & check data bases for owners & drivers:
Electronic scanners can help nab bad guys | NJ.com
Interesting that Google street-view must use some similar recognition software specifically designed to detect plate characters, just to enable concealing/obscuring the tags.

Old 03-04-2013, 01:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDGraeme View Post
Nearly 20 years ago, my insurance co. raised my rate after I got a ticket, so there must be some connection.
Tickets are public records. Also, insurance companies have the right to obtain driver's histories of their insured, and those applying for insurance.
Quote:
I don't like the idea of the government giving out my information to private companies
Insurers don't like applicants & clients being less than frank about their driving records.
Quote:
A cop asked for my telephone number ... I started to get calls ... I knew it must be a scam and the cop must have given them my number.
Paranoid much? Post hoc ergo propter hoc? Did the police also give your number to companies offering lower interest rates? To clean your carpets?

Old 03-04-2013, 01:53 AM

Quote:
Plate readers are not as efficient as one would think. Reading the plate takes perfect setup and the interfaces are problematic. They require a significant investment in equipment beyond what's installed in the car. For that reason few agencies will put funds into them.
Scanning does not require a perfect environment. There are false alerts, usually attributed to duplicate plates from other states. As far as investment, the opposite is true. More agencies are purchasing the readers, and those that have them are buying more units. Also, the price has dropped, and the federal government is providing grants.
Quote:
Recently a article was published in a industry periodical detailing the issues with data overload. You can run thousands of plates but then what do you do with all that data? you can't deal with all of it. Unless it's specifically limited to a serious offenses, it becomes a hindrance. Even with that, the vehicle ownership does not necessarily determine who is actually operating the vehicle. Even manually entering plates has that limitation and policies to follow when a "hit" is obtained.
No link? Manual entry is a safety procedure, to confirm hits.

Old 03-05-2013, 08:34 AM

2,105 posts, read 6,662,922 times
Quote:
and the federal government is providing grants
Those days are gone. The average cost for a LPR is about 14K. That cost can vary greatly depending on how much of the required hardware is already in place. In our case, MDT's were recently installed but the network servers would be required to be upgraded. Many agencies buy them with funds from other than their town budgets. small towns are going to be hard pressed to fund them at this time.

All plates require a Hit Confirmation although now that's been simplified from the old legacy system. Even still I've seen confirmed hits that were bogus. I could see the use in our shopping centers where stolen cars get dumped.

I see it under the "nice to have" but not the first item to buy.

Quote:
But NJ will not accept a downloaded card as valid except temporarily
I understand that but it was never intended to be more than a temporary measure until the permanent car can arrive. In fact Geico now has a smartphone app that displays a digital copy of your ID card. As far as the suitability for use while operating, NJ specifies possession of a card " supplied by the insurance company". Downloaded cards are supplied by the insurance company as are the digital versions. NJ has failed to keep up with the newer technology. Both fit the description as stated in the NJ DMV documents.

In fact the ID Card Approvals and Measure Description-Permanent Cards -N.J. Department of Banking and Insurance document addresses the use of temporary cards which as per their regulations are valid for a ten day period. In no way are they a counterfeit card. The digital issue is probably too new and untested.

Last edited by rscalzo; 03-05-2013 at 08:50 AM..

Old 03-05-2013, 11:03 PM

Quote:
The average cost for a LPR is about 14K.
ACLU opposition is the best advertisement.
Report: 85 Percent Of Law Enforcement Agencies Will Have License Plate Readers Within The Next Five Years
"The price of license plate reader systems is likely to fall precipitously as the technology becomes an increasingly common law enforcement fixture. It’s already fallen substantially over the past few years, after a boom in sales prompted by federal funding for the technologies to state and local police departments nationwide. Whereas years ago the tools cost upwards of $30k per system, some companies are now selling them for as little as $8k a pop."
Quote:
I see it under the "nice to have" but not the first item to buy.
First? Next!
Viewed as a good use of forfeiture money.
Stories like these encourage purchase:
http://www.nj.com/gloucester-county/...te_reader.html
"The equipment is expected to pay for itself in less than six months ... an average of about 300 to 400 extra summonses issued in Franklin Township every month"
http://www.nj.com/gloucester-county/...help_capt.html

Last edited by bigjake54; 03-05-2013 at 11:13 PM..

Old 04-12-2013, 02:36 PM

147 posts, read 389,720 times
Quote:
T...

Insurers don't like applicants & clients being less than frank about their driving records.
As if insurance companies are honest about the service they will provide. If you give false information to an insurance company in obtaining your insurance, they may be able to deny and claim for benefits.

Paranoid much? Post hoc ergo propter hoc? Did the police also give your number to companies offering lower interest rates? To clean your carpets?[/quote]

More like using Occam's razor in this case. There is no reason to believe it would benefit police to give information to a carpet-cleaning company. When it is very unlikely that the people involved could obtain my telephone number by any other means, and it's been shown that there are a number of phonies who call you soliciting funds supposedly for the police, and one calls you soon after you've given your number to a policeman, the logical connection is pretty solid. BTW, I think it's illegal for the police themselves to solicit by telephone, or at least it's against their policy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
View detailed profiles of: