Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-18-2013, 07:58 AM

3 posts, read 6,106 times

Advertisements

Hi all, A buddy of mine are looking for a place to move in NJ. We are both 23 y/o and are moving to the state as a result of job placement. Due to the location of both our jobs we would need an apartment in the Aberdeen area. We drove through Keyport and it seemed like a nice area for younger adults. Anyone have comments on the area? Bar situation? Older or younger people? Dangerous area?

Any comments would be appreciated.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2014, 04:58 PM

47 posts, read 78,653 times
We are also considering Keyport. We are emptynesters from Ga. We spent our first year in Paulus Hook. We are now at Port Liberte and we are now considering moving further out.

Old 02-15-2014, 06:38 PM

550 posts, read 960,874 times
A church down in Keyport has hired me to play music for Easter and Christmas for the past several years. Here's my blog entry from this past Christmas. Not sure if this helps with your relocation considerations, but hopefully you get a purely anecdotal sense of the town, of which I think very fondly:

----
"Christmas in the Sand"

Our daughter has been listening to quite a bit of Radio Disney on SiriusXM. As we entered the holiday season, we started hearing more Christmas music on the station, like Justin Bieber singing, “Little Drummer Boy” and Kelly Clarkson singing “Underneath the Tree.” Definitely not the songs I would choose to listen to myself, but the fact that our daughter is absorbed in the music has been a good enough reason for me to keep the station on.

One song in particular from her favorites had been in my head all day today. It’s Colbie Caillat’s “Christmas in the Sand.” As you can probably imagine, it’s about the Holiday experience in the tropics. Here are some lyrics:

“I love Christmas in the snow, but Christmas in the sand don’t end. I tell you that’s where it’s at.”

Catchy.

Every Christmas since about 7 years ago, I have had the privilege of playing for a certain Parish in the relatively small, working class waterfront town of Keyport, NJ. Through the years, I have gotten to know their music director as well as other members of the church quite well. When my wife was undergoing medical treatments a year and a half ago, they made it a point to gift her with some pink spring flowers which symbolized strength, hope and life.

Parts of Keyport were devastated by Superstorm Sandy a little over a year ago. A once-popular social establishment on the water called Ye Cottage Inn was left pretty much just to its pillars. Between two services this morning, the music director bought us breakfast at the local diner, where I learned that she herself has been hosting a family in her own home because they lost their home during the storm. All this time has passed, and this family is still homeless. The tenor vocalist who was with us during breakfast, has lived in Keyport for decades, and was spared of any damages to his home because he was, as he called it, “on the other side of the storm.” He considered himself fortunate. He made it a point to let me know that friends and family in town are very much in the process of healing and moving on.

In the services this morning, whether through their prayers or their singing of the hymns, I felt a great sense of unity amongst the local parishioners; they were holding onto the common faith that has kept them strong all this time.

After the services, I went down to the waterfront for a quick moment of self reflection. On my way, I noticed that they were possibly in the process of resurrecting Ye Cottage Inn. Rebuilding seems to be a common theme in Keyport nowadays.

On the water, it was cold, and there were no tropical trees like the ones mentioned in Caillat’s song, but thanks to the wonderful and resilient little town of Keyport, I very much enjoyed being able to spend yet another Christmas in the Sand of my own this year.
----

Old 02-16-2014, 09:28 PM

1,247 posts, read 3,011,706 times
I'm craving a corned beef sandwich at McDonagh's Pub.

Old 02-17-2014, 08:11 AM

989 posts, read 1,869,368 times
Keyport is a dump on the waterfront.

Old 02-17-2014, 09:06 AM

87,979 posts, read 83,789,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Familyrules View Post
We are also considering Keyport. We are emptynesters from Ga. We spent our first year in Paulus Hook. We are now at Port Liberte and we are now considering moving further out.
Going to Keyport, you'd be going "Down", not "Out". It's south of you!

I think it's a cute little town right there on the bay.

Old 02-17-2014, 09:08 AM

87,979 posts, read 83,789,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HubCityMadMan View Post
I'm craving a corned beef sandwich at McDonagh's Pub.
Really? I've been to McDonagh's twice, but just got appetizer type foods (and beer!).

I will have to return.

There's a nice little luncheonette type place called Lenora's or Lorena's--I forget which, lol, and there's a good independent coffee shop called Joe's Espresso, all on that same street. Joe's sometimes has live entertainment, like a guitar player, on the weekends.

And there's a cute shop around the corner from McDonagh's that sells jellies and jams from all over the country plus tea and candy and other gifts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey