Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2013, 11:04 PM

1,171 posts, read 2,682,342 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaverickDD View Post
Stores are like horse manure... they're all over! It's one shopping center after another along Route 37 -- and then ten times as many on the cross streets.

Food stores: Many choices. My preference is Shop Rite. It can hold a candle to any food store, and probably with as good or better quality for as good or lower prices.

Restaurants galore.

Music Venues - PNC Bank Arts Center is about thirty miles up the Parkway: PNC Bank Arts Center | Latest Events and Tickets Plenty, plenty, plenty of other venues, such as: The Stone Pony

Sports - Philadelphia fans feel welcome, but IMO most people around TR follow the NY teams. (Remember, TR isn't 'South Jersey'!)
And don't forget you have the Ocean County Mall there as well. Finding any type of store you need within a reasonable driving distance is not a problem in TR. I use Shop Rite as well. There is also A&P and Stop & Shop for grocery but they are pricey compared to Shop Rite.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2013, 02:32 PM

119 posts, read 339,354 times
So if you were to work in Toms River, would you live there or go somewhere close by. Close meaning 20-30 mins away.

Old 02-26-2013, 03:14 PM

4,073 posts, read 8,979,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankieDNY View Post
So if you were to work in Toms River, would you live there or go somewhere close by. Close meaning 20-30 mins away.
Depends on what you want, budget, kid situation, etc. Lots of options depending on whether you want proximity to the shore, or if being further north for NYC access is important.

Old 02-26-2013, 08:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankieDNY View Post
That entirely depends on you. I am the type of person who cannot stand a long commute. I work long hours and like to sleep as late as I can and get home ASAP. Toms River has a lot of nice areas to live in. Brick is also an option. I live in Lakewood on the border of Brick and love the complex where I live but Lakewood is NOT a good place to raise a family (schools are horrible) and there are areas that can be pretty dangerous (not near where I live but I wouldn't go near there at night). I do all my shopping/errands in Brick and Toms River.

Old 02-27-2013, 09:16 AM

Thanks for the feedback. I'm sure to traveling for work here in Florida so I'm used to it but the weather here is also different.

I tried to attach a picture of Ocean County but not sure if it worked. Here is the Wikipedia link:
File:Ocean County, New Jersey Municipalities.png - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Based on this graphic would someone be able to outline the good areas and then the bad ones? Like most I'm a visual person so it would be good to see the dynamic of the county.

Also I see the water and air quality is quite poor. Has this ever presented any issues?

Thank again to everyone for the help!
Attached Thumbnails
Relocation to Toms River Opportunity-image.jpg  

Old 02-27-2013, 12:29 PM

23 posts, read 54,727 times
The bad area is most of Lakewood. The good area is almost the entire rest of the county.

Move to TR and consider yourself very lucky that you have a good job here. A lot of people who live here commute to work (usually north) or work locally in retail/food/other dead-end jobs. Of course, if TR had a lot of great jobs, it wouldn't be so affordable compared to the rest of NJ.

Old 03-01-2013, 07:47 PM

2,449 posts, read 2,876,420 times
I lived in Toms River for many years when my kids were in school before moving to Oklahoma. We always lived in the EAST section. I found the schools better there...Intermediate East, and High School East. We lived in Shelter Cove, which I heard too a huge hit during Sandy. I always rented so, never paid taxes. Always things to do, but as it gets closer to summer, its always crowded due to summer traffic. Moved out 2003, came back and lived in Seaside Heights for a year in another rental on 2011-2012, but lost everything during the storm. Truthfully, it wasn't all that. The job situation for the kids was non existent and I grew tired of finding used hypodermic needles in my yard every day.

Old 03-02-2013, 02:10 PM

Stay away from Jackson too - that town is going down hill FAST. I worked at an animal hospital there and we had to get a panic button to carry with us if we went outside at night.

I'm not that familiar with the neighborhoods of Toms River but I have never been in an area where I felt unsafe or I wouldn't go at night.

Old 03-04-2013, 06:59 PM

What about the air/water quality? I saw it's some of the poorest in the nation. Has anyone ever seen any problems in relation to that?

Also and this is minor but my 3 year old daughter loves Chick-Fil-A. I take her there every Saturday for Daddy/daughter lunch. Are there any around?

Old 03-04-2013, 07:28 PM

1,247 posts, read 3,025,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoYanks34 View Post
Stay away from Jackson too - that town is going down hill FAST. I worked at an animal hospital there and we had to get a panic button to carry with us if we went outside at night.
Yes the bad elements of Lakewood have been spreading into Jackson for at least fifteen years. The place is a trailer camp in the pine barrens. Lots of the forestry is pretty and visually appealing, but it is a poor area. It is miles from anywhere, people move there because they cannot afford to live anywhere else that is a more conveinent location.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoYanks34 View Post
I'm not that familiar with the neighborhoods of Toms River but I have never been in an area where I felt unsafe or I wouldn't go at night.
Toms River and Brick are much better than Jackson. The years Brick made it as safest town in America, Toms River was not far behind either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey