Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2013, 06:59 AM

4,073 posts, read 8,980,712 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tahiti View Post
hammy- you're really overthinking this - nearly all suburbs are like bluetrain described, despite the fact you not seeing it via a quick drive by. check your budget, housing and commuting requirements and find a town.
tahiti - hammy isn't the OP.

hammy - see the "sticky" post on the front page of this forum for information that folks will need to give you meaningful advice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2013, 07:15 AM

12,283 posts, read 35,690,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HalfFull View Post
tahiti - hammy isn't the OP.

hammy - see the "sticky" post on the front page of this forum for information that folks will need to give you meaningful advice.
damn, you're right! he sounded like the OP! hammy - my apologies!

Old 02-26-2013, 01:54 PM

12 posts, read 51,959 times
There really is a lot of great towns in New Jersey, the towns that I personally know of are - Fanwood, Westfield, Summit, Cranford and Chatham. Like I said, I'm sure there are so many more but these I know of personally. And all the schools in this town are fantastic.

Old 02-26-2013, 02:22 PM

386 posts, read 872,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by camaro69 View Post
Lets be real. Today's children are not as active as past generations.

Yeah I know, we walked to school up hill both ways and with no shoes.

Kids today would rather play video games or be texting to someone than to actually be playing outside whether it's the summer or winter.

When was the last time you saw a family of 4 or more at a restaurant actually talking to each other? Even the parents are on their cell phones or iPads.

The family unit is gone. Hence the reason kids are obese and getting fatter and lazier.
Overbearing parenting is to blame. Don't pit this on today's youth.

Old 02-28-2013, 03:06 PM

34 posts, read 57,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hammyboy View Post
So, Bluetrain, I am looking for what you describe as your neighborhood for my two, school-age kids. We are NJ town shopping and will move from PA before the fall. What towns would you recommend for this?
If you are looking for an area as mentioned, you should get in touch with me. My parents are looking to sell our house and they are moving to India because of retirement. I am looking for sell it myself before going through a real estate agent. Let me know if you are interested.

I love our house. My mother loves it even more and has a huge emotional attachment to it. We always played outdoors because of the property, the neighbors, and the area. Everyone is like family and there is a park two blocks down. A lot of fun.

Westwood has a nice community feel to it too. I felt it growing up!

Old 02-28-2013, 03:39 PM

1,392 posts, read 2,099,527 times
If the kids are actually playing outside in that cold weather in Brooklyn, as you're saying, I'd say never leave that area of the city. The kids here never do that kind of stuff, whereas my understanding is it's still like that in parts of Brooklyn. People know each other on each block, they pay attention to their neighbors, the kids just go outside and play and do stuff around town on their own. Right? We don't have any of that in NJ from what I see. The common sense enjoyment of life of a bygone era (at least, it's bygone in NJ). It's something you can't put a price on. I'd just move up in size by going to a worse neighborhood in Brooklyn, and just have my kids (and me and the wife) take the subway back to your old neighborhood every day to do stuff.

Old 02-28-2013, 03:42 PM

1,392 posts, read 2,099,527 times
Quote:
Overbearing parenting is to blame.
And part of the blame of THAT is on our crazy laws and government. If you don't have your eyes on your kids for even two seconds, CPS is more than willing and capable to take your kid away from you and put him into foster homes where he will ACTUALLY get molested and raped.
LOL, DOWNFALL OF OUR SOCIETY!

Old 02-28-2013, 07:42 PM

173 posts, read 657,523 times
I have lived lots of places and this is what I have noticed. The nicer the playgrounds, the more mothers will come. If the place is untidy, with no benches, it will be empty most of the time. If the playground is dry, with comfy benches, shade, port-a-potty, and garbage cans, they will come. It also needs to be interesting.

The more unique the playground, the more people will come! Wish the playground designs would include as a standard: the roller-slides, tall climbing ropes, climbing "rock" walls, bumpy slides, tires, sand boxes, and hiding nooks kids love. Unusual designs would be awesome too.

The standard parks/playgrounds all around us are TOO BORING for any kid over the age of 3. No wonder they are not drawn to be outside if all they see are the same old cookie cutter set-ups!

http://www.playgroundhound.com/playg...hound-can-help

Last edited by paperpile; 02-28-2013 at 08:09 PM..

Old 03-02-2013, 02:09 PM

12,283 posts, read 35,690,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peanuttree View Post
If the kids are actually playing outside in that cold weather in Brooklyn, as you're saying, I'd say never leave that area of the city. The kids here never do that kind of stuff, whereas my understanding is it's still like that in parts of Brooklyn. People know each other on each block, they pay attention to their neighbors, the kids just go outside and play and do stuff around town on their own. Right? We don't have any of that in NJ from what I see. The common sense enjoyment of life of a bygone era (at least, it's bygone in NJ). It's something you can't put a price on. I'd just move up in size by going to a worse neighborhood in Brooklyn, and just have my kids (and me and the wife) take the subway back to your old neighborhood every day to do stuff.
Really? Not in NJ at all? Come visit me, I'll introduce you to all my neighbors, all 57 houses.

Old 03-03-2013, 11:22 PM

18 posts, read 68,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tahiti View Post
Really? Not in NJ at all? Come visit me, I'll introduce you to all my neighbors, all 57 houses.
Tahiti, Please share where in Jersey you live. I am relocating with my 3 kiddos from the West. Thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey