Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2013, 10:09 AM

19,128 posts, read 25,331,967 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsPiggleWiggle View Post
Lol, I think the OP was trolling. When I first read the post, I thought, "oh, well maybe she's moved in from super ghettos like Camden or middle of Newark so she doesn't see why Linden is panned" and then I reread it and had the same thoughts as nomad00. Either troll... or got a chip on her shoulder about the value of her investment.

Speaking as someone who lived in Sunnyside from 1973-1981, and who subsequently spent considerable time in that city while on business or social calls, I can attest that the city of Linden has experienced a severe downturn, ever since the '90s.

Yes, it is still better than the worst parts of Elizabeth and Roselle, but since the criminal elements of those towns can't be prevented from driving through Linden and from moving to Linden, the city of Linden has experienced a very visible decrease in the quality of life and an increase in lawlessness over the past few decades.

The OP can deny these facts, or even resent this reality, but they are undeniable to anyone who has observed the decline of Linden over the years.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2013, 10:57 AM

7 posts, read 16,646 times
Default Seriously?

Quote:
Originally Posted by E-TOWN-R.I.P. View Post
Way to use the race card to mask the fact that you made the mistake of buying a house in a town that's been steadily declining the past 10 years. Cranford worse than Newark, huh? Wow, now I've heard it all.
Not using the race card, but noticed that towns with tons of issues get great ratings because there are no minorities. I've lived in rural areas of NJ for most of my life and if you think there aren't problems think again. EVERY town in NJ is on the decline, Linden doesn't smell and isn't mostly industrial. This is the same crap I've heard from people who live in other states and have only seen NJ from the airport or turnpike...they have no idea there are areas like Sussex county or the Pine Barrens so NJ gets a bad rap because people have no clue what they are talking about. I do not regret buying this house. I didn't say Cranford was worse than Newark, the block I lived on had cars broken into regularly, drug deals going down, theft of anything not nailed down + just because it's "Cranford" everyone assumes what applies to part of the town applies to all of it. I'm on the Cranford border so how can my house suck because it's a block over the line in Linden?

Old 04-07-2013, 11:42 AM

Default Disappointed

Just because I take pride in my town, I'm being accused of being a troll, the mayor, upset about my investment and accused of using the race card. None of which are true or called for, and you people really need to stop judging things you know nothing about. Like the people from out of state that assume NJ is one big toxic waste dump, not ever realizing there are places like Stokes or the Pine Barrens that rival any state park in the nation for beauty and tranquility. ALL towns have problems, I was making statements based on "Per Capita" crime. The Clinton area had 5 murders that I'm aware of but only people who read the local papers heard about it. The population of Hunterdon county towns are significantly less than Linden. All NJ schools have drug problems, many have violence and my neighbors kids who attend the public schools are not dropping out, study hard and have goals. Cranford is a good town but not without its "bad areas" that no one here seems to realize. The block I lived on had so much petty crime + one incident involving a threat with a gun but because it's Cranford that excusable while Linden is a bad place to live? I can throw a stone across the road + hit the Cranford border so how can just a few feet make my block a terrible investment while 30 feet away is an awesome town by your guidelines? A police officer moved in 4 houses away with 2 small children....why would he move his young family to somewhere dangerous? He isn't even on the force in Linden. I think that speaks volumes about the town. Sure it has issues but marinate in this for a second...we have all heard of the unspeakable shootings on the news in towns no one ever heard of until the tragedy happened. These are towns no one ever expected something like that to happen, bad things can happen anywhere. FYI, maybe some people misunderstood when accusing me of using the "race card"...I'm not a minority but those I've met who are (at work or in Linden) are nice people and I was trying to get a point across. I asked a lot of people who have lived in Linden and are raising families here what they thought about the town before I bought, many had the opportunity to sell their homes at the peak of the market but didn't because they like living here. Hard working people with pride in their community. When your towns are unfairly judged maybe you will understand.

Old 04-07-2013, 11:42 AM

526 posts, read 2,068,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ_UrbanPrincess View Post
Not using the race card, but noticed that towns with tons of issues get great ratings because there are no minorities. I've lived in rural areas of NJ for most of my life and if you think there aren't problems think again. EVERY town in NJ is on the decline, Linden doesn't smell and isn't mostly industrial. This is the same crap I've heard from people who live in other states and have only seen NJ from the airport or turnpike...they have no idea there are areas like Sussex county or the Pine Barrens so NJ gets a bad rap because people have no clue what they are talking about. I do not regret buying this house. I didn't say Cranford was worse than Newark, the block I lived on had cars broken into regularly, drug deals going down, theft of anything not nailed down + just because it's "Cranford" everyone assumes what applies to part of the town applies to all of it. I'm on the Cranford border so how can my house suck because it's a block over the line in Linden?
No one said your house sucks. If you're on the Cranford border, then you live in a good area. Sounds as if you also had the misfortune of living on one of the few blocks of Cranford that's not so nice. But there are good and bad parts of every town, and while most of Cranford is good, the same can't be said for Linden. Now, when it comes to resale value, though some people may be put off by the Linden name, a serious buyer will see you live in a nice area and not let the name affect the decision. The issue comes with the schools, which aren't very good. If you have kids, are you willing to shell out for private schools? Will a buyer with kids be willing to do the same?? Schools is where you are directly affected by the rest of Linden, and that can be an issue even if you are separated from the parts of the town that are not so nice.

Old 04-07-2013, 01:45 PM

Thank you E-Town I do understand what you are saying, I was really put off that so many people assumed all of Linden is what they see from Rt 1+9 or the Tpk. If you look at the statisitics (access from this site), Linden's crime rate has dropped significantly from 320.0 in 1999 to 257.1 in 2011 while the US Average is 319.1 so Linden is actually doing so much better than most urban towns across the nation. I lived in Hunterdon county when my kids were in school, they went to Parochial school because to be honest, with the exception of the high school, the schools weren't that great. For a rural area, we had a lot of registered sex offenders and a few were caught trying to lure kids right in the elementary school parking lot. The guy who serviced our furnace was convicted of child molestation OMG. They did go to the public high school which was excellent because it included a mega-bucks town (Joe Piscopo's son graduated from the same high school). The school in my district isn't highly rated by this site but a lot of people move into this section of Linden so their kids can attend it and they are ok with them walking to + from school once they are old enough. I see people out all hours of the night walking their dogs and no problems; I personally wouldn't do that in any town. I feel better now after reading your reply. Enjoy this great weather!

Old 07-25-2013, 01:46 PM

3 posts, read 12,629 times
Hi everyone I have a Question, a Friend of mines is Looking To Move from Crown Height Brooklyn, NY to Linden NJ how would you Compare Both Areas?

thanks

Old 07-25-2013, 02:09 PM

14,780 posts, read 43,691,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewCummer View Post
Hi everyone I have a Question, a Friend of mines is Looking To Move from Crown Height Brooklyn, NY to Linden NJ how would you Compare Both Areas?

thanks
Linden has less murders, lower general crime, probably similar drug issues, relatively better schools (emphasis on the relative part), but will most likely smell worse.

Old 07-25-2013, 06:26 PM

3 posts, read 12,629 times
well thank you for that info I past thru linden a few times and I would say it do look better than Crown Heights..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey