Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2013, 09:03 AM

14,780 posts, read 43,687,668 times

Advertisements

I concur with those saying there is more to this story...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2013, 10:35 AM

3,377 posts, read 14,627,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertsun41 View Post
How harsh your very pro communist pro pig attitude. Her car was not impounded. It was stolen by members of the worlds largest street gang of thugs. You seem to be saying just because one does not have an insurance card in possession means they will crash is pretty silly, don't ya think? Kate is right, there probably is more to this story then the OP has said but you judged and executed this person with your communist views. Not having an insurance card is still not a federal offense last I heard.
If that's the best you got, then you don't have much. I've been called much worse. Everything is good till it happens to you. I'll give you an example. A police officer pulls over a vehicle for a violation. In the course of the officers contact with the driver of that vehicle he asks for the driver to produce a license, registration and insurance card. The driver produces all but the insurance card but swears he / she is insured. The officer says OK and lets the driver off with a warning or perhaps no insurance card in possession summons. Two minutes down the road said driver fails to stop at a red light and t bones you in the drivers side of your vehicle. When you wake up two days later in the hospital you find out that the driver that hit you had no insurance and your car is totaled and your also looking at some pretty hefty medical bills. You also find out that a police officer had stopped him just minutes before and let him drive the vehicle away although he could not prove that his vehicle was properly insured. At that point I guess it would just plain suck being you. It's not the police officers job to determine if you have or don't have insurance. In some states that can be checked when the officer either radios for information or uses his MDT. That is not the case in New Jersey. The officer usually has the ability to use discretion, in this case I don't see he acted imprudently. FOR THE RECORD: I have hated commies and all their associates since December 1969 and the OP was not charged with a federal offense.

Last edited by exhdo1; 02-22-2013 at 11:20 AM..

Old 02-22-2013, 10:57 AM

17,573 posts, read 46,141,127 times
If the information isn't stored for the police to access it seems kind of pointless. I can have insurance and then cancel it. I still have my insurance card. I get a new card when they send me my renewal bill. I still have the card even if I don't renew.

The card itself does not prove you currently have insurance.

Old 02-22-2013, 11:11 AM

5,772 posts, read 16,586,846 times
I got pulled over once a few years ago, did not have my current card with me so the officer called the insurance company or had his desk call and they verified it was valid.

Old 02-22-2013, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by manderly6 View Post
If the information isn't stored for the police to access it seems kind of pointless. I can have insurance and then cancel it. I still have my insurance card. I get a new card when they send me my renewal bill. I still have the card even if I don't renew.

The card itself does not prove you currently have insurance.
100% true, having a card means nothing. Having no card leaves the officer with few options. Back in the mid to late 80's it seemed like 75% of the cars we stopped in our city that were registered in Pennsylvania had fictitious insurance cards. The reason why most were there were not good to begin with. It got so bad that we were able to contact the major insurance companies and we were able to get direct access phone numbers to them to confirm if an insurance policy was in effect. The cards were excellent reproductions and it was a fact that one of our M.P. officers that handled a lot of traffic accidents noticed one day that the insurance code number on the card that was presented to him didn't seem correct so he did a little digging and started the ball rolling.

Old 02-22-2013, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by captne76 View Post
I got pulled over once a few years ago, did not have my current card with me so the officer called the insurance company or had his desk call and they verified it was valid.
That is an option for the officer. I will bet dollars to donuts you weren't being a hard ass with him when he made the call. The problem years ago was the insurance companies were reluctant to give out information on the phone, even for something as simple as validity. The officer or desk officer may have called your insurance agent if you had one.

Old 02-22-2013, 11:19 AM

2,105 posts, read 6,662,410 times
Quote:
called the insurance company or had his desk call
During working hours it's possible. After 5pm, it isn't. The biggest problem is that brokers will write a policy or binder and that will take a while to get into the system. Then it's up to the broker or agent to verify, if you can get in touch with them. Many smaller agencies make it a problem to get in touch. Great if you don't mind sitting on the side of the road for an extended period.

Some will get a policy binder and never make the additional payments. Many just get the policy and leave it sitting on their desk for months. State Farm sends the card with the bill in my case and have online printing available for duplicates.

Old 02-22-2013, 06:39 PM

10,222 posts, read 19,210,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MalloryMoment View Post
My car was impounded today. i was stopped for a moving violation. Had proof of current registration, current drivers license and have insurance-just couldn't find the insurance card. What the heck is going on in N.J. that they are so inefficient not to have a DMV database to prove insured/uninsured vehicles on the road? This is ridiculous! Its GESTAPO at best. What ever happened to our 4th ammendment rights? I'd say it was unnecessary seizure. I couldn't even get my car OUT because the tow yard was closed at 5 oclock. So now I have to pay storage and towing for no good reason. Nice antiquated state procedure.
It's a racket; the town has someone tow you, then they get a kickback from the tow and storage company. Even if you beat the ticket you still have to pay the tow lot (in cash).

Old 02-23-2013, 08:21 AM

2,105 posts, read 6,662,410 times
Once again, your data is flawed. Our town ordinance, which is almost a word for word boiler plate of other towns contain this clause.
Quote:

9) The official tower must accept at least two (2) major credit cards.
Rates are governed by ordinance. Considering the mandatory equipment and regulations any company must go through to get a contract, few actually bid. A tow has a max of $75.00, point to point. So at 3am, the ot for the driver, equipment costs, fuel, what's left over? You see a huge profit margin there? In fact I've been told the only profit is from mva's where the repair work is done in the shop.

As far as paying for the town, anyone with towing on their insurance policy for $6 per policy term can submit the bill for reimbursement.

Quote:
Nice antiquated state procedure.
And yet you continually miss the part where insurance carriers will not allow their private data to be stored in a state database.

Old 02-23-2013, 08:53 AM

10,222 posts, read 19,210,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rscalzo View Post
Once again, your data is flawed. Our town ordinance, which is almost a word for word boiler plate of other towns contain this clause.
Tell it to Essex County Towing, official tower of South Orange Village Township, who demands cash.

Quote:
Rates are governed by ordinance. Considering the mandatory equipment and regulations any company must go through to get a contract, few actually bid. A tow has a max of $75.00, point to point.
Plus storage fees (including time the tow company wasn't open to retrieve your car, $20/day or portion thereof), plus a winching fee ($55), plus an administrative fee ($25).

Quote:
As far as paying for the town, anyone with towing on their insurance policy for $6 per policy term can submit the bill for reimbursement.
My insurance policy is like most in that it does not cover acts of the civil authorities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey