Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2007, 10:05 PM

622 posts, read 3,108,058 times

Advertisements

A 2 family home, like a 3 family, 4, etc... has 2, 3, 4 apartments under one roof. They are separate apartments with separate entrances, utilities, etc.. they are just within one structure.

As opposed to a single family which is one dwelling.

Maybe you're familiar with a "duplex" as being a 2 family? I know duplexes as being a side by side 2 family. Where the house is split directly down the center.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2007, 12:34 AM

562 posts, read 2,610,829 times
exactly.. instead of having a duplex it's an apartment above the other one..
everything is completely separate..

most new homes in Elizabeth are between 1000-1500 sq/ft per apartment.. some are even larger.. and most have 2 full bathrooms, laundry rooms in each apartment, central air hot/cold, etc..

they are great investments, because you can rent one apt and live in the other.. this helps with the mortgage..

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewJersey? View Post
A 2 family home, like a 3 family, 4, etc... has 2, 3, 4 apartments under one roof. They are separate apartments with separate entrances, utilities, etc.. they are just within one structure.

As opposed to a single family which is one dwelling.

Maybe you're familiar with a "duplex" as being a 2 family? I know duplexes as being a side by side 2 family. Where the house is split directly down the center.

Old 11-01-2007, 01:58 AM

1 posts, read 1,640 times
Default racism in Lyndhurst

Does have anyone have documentary evidence of racial segregation in housing practices in Rutherford? I know it existed. I just can't prove it.

Old 11-05-2007, 12:19 PM

12,200 posts, read 18,322,622 times
Yeah, I'm familiar with duplexes. Those are becoming the norm here - actually they're building them with four and five houses under one roof and calling them "row homes" it's okay except you have like no yard and they have tons of rules and regulations. I couldn't imagine paying $250K for something with no yard.

Okay, well I guess my family has gotten tired of my wishy-washy moving here, moving there dramatics so I will be doing a look-see in late Jan. Not for an actual apartment, but looking at distances, areas, and all the surroundings because they claim I'm not grasping the concept of driving time and distance for NJ (I guess they think I'm dumb) This will be a Th-Fri-Sat trip.

Okay so here's the areas that I want to look at: Bridgewater, Somerville, S.Plainfield (please give me lots of info on this area as I know I'll have a retail job there right away). N. Brunswick, Piscataway. This is basically the list someone else gave me and when I went over it with my uncle (who lives in Trenton) he said those seemed like good starting areas, although he nixed S.Plainfield.

Please tell me anything and everything you can about these locations keeping in mind:
I'm single, in my early 20's, have a toddler, do have transportation - but would like to be nearby public transportation as well, and would like to rent for about or less than $1000 monthly.

In the end, I know I'll have to decide myself, but gathering info can't hurt right? Thanks to everyone!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey