U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2013, 06:15 PM

12,924 posts, read 17,675,359 times

Advertisements

You can;t be serious??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2013, 10:46 AM

147 posts, read 310,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njkate View Post
After 4 years and a value of $80 I would just let it go. The amount of time you will spend filing and going to small claims is not worth $80 ...jmo

Even if watch had sentimental value recooping the cost will not restore the sentiment.
I guess you're right; it's just not worth the time and money. It just annoyed me that they could get away with such a thing. They didn't give me anything to sign, and I think it's unusual to have to change to a hospital gown in an ER, since you're not actually being admitted to the hospital. I suspect that one of the people in the belongings room made off with it. In any case, I'd suggest that everyone get an itemized receipt when a hospital takes your stuff.

Old 02-27-2013, 11:00 AM

79 posts, read 138,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDGraeme View Post
I think it's unusual to have to change to a hospital gown in an ER, since you're not actually being admitted to the hospital.

I was in the ER 4 times an not once did I ever have to change into a gown, I'm not trying to add gasoline to the fire but yea that sucks when they pull shady stuff..

Old 02-27-2013, 11:04 AM

12,198 posts, read 21,853,327 times
Quote:
I guess you're right; it's just not worth the time and money. It just annoyed me that they could get away with such a thing. They didn't give me anything to sign, and I think it's unusual to have to change to a hospital gown in an ER, since you're not actually being admitted to the hospital. I suspect that one of the people in the belongings room made off with it. In any case, I'd suggest that everyone get an itemized receipt when a hospital takes your stuff.
I would be annoyed as well but like I said 4 years have past and I'm sure you have better things to do with your time then going to the courthouse to file and then showing up when a date is set.

Old 02-27-2013, 11:14 AM

147 posts, read 310,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJGOAT View Post
Legally, you could sue. You are under the 6 year statute of limitations for property damage/loss that applies in NJ small claims court. The fee to file is $15, so that is less then your claimed losses. It then comes down to questioning whether or not it is worth your time to pursue compensation over $80 worth of old clothes and a crappy watch. Honestly, I think you have a somewhat good case, but I would personally just let it go as it's not worth the time. If you did pursue it, you are going to have to come up with a pretty good reason for the judge over why you waited 4 years to file. Outside of that, it's basically coming up with a reasonable value for the items, which it seems like you did.
Yeah, I think you're right. I did make an effort to recover them, though not legal. But I got the runaround for months; e.g., one person says she'll check on it, then never gets back to me, then I get transferred to a different person, etc., etc. The items weren't of sentimental value, but you can't get those types of watch and coat anymore.

Old 02-27-2013, 11:44 AM

2,097 posts, read 4,932,095 times
Quote:
The items weren't of sentimental value, but you can't get those types of watch and coat anymore.
They weren't sentimental and worth $80. Are we talking a Member's Only jacket and a Timex? By the time you file and waste your time, what are you gaining. Not to mention most likely you aren't going to be successful as you have zero documentation of any attempts to get the property back.

Old 02-27-2013, 11:49 AM

4,071 posts, read 6,123,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rscalzo View Post
They weren't sentimental and worth $80. Are we talking a Member's Only jacket and a Timex? By the time you file and waste your time, what are you gaining. Not to mention most likely you aren't going to be successful as you have zero documentation of any attempts to get the property back.
Come on! It could have been a Swatch.

Old 02-27-2013, 12:14 PM

20,370 posts, read 24,696,050 times
when i was in third grade a neighbor kid broke my bicycle. can i sue him?

Old 02-27-2013, 05:57 PM

12,758 posts, read 11,464,972 times
Quote:
My Mom had her purse stolen in an ER just a few months ago. They put her in a bed in one of the ER rooms that are like the holding area before they admitted her, and put her purse on the counter near the door. She fell asleep and woke up to see it gone. The police were called and the security tape showed a girl who was with someone in the ER walk by and grab it..and they were was still there, so my Mom got it back! The long ER wait times worked in our favor for once. I think it was very careless of them to put it where anyone could grab it like that.

Old 02-27-2013, 07:11 PM

20,370 posts, read 24,696,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
My Mom had her purse stolen in an ER just a few months ago. They put her in a bed in one of the ER rooms that are like the holding area before they admitted her, and put her purse on the counter near the door. She fell asleep and woke up to see it gone. The police were called and the security tape showed a girl who was with someone in the ER walk by and grab it..and they were was still there, so my Mom got it back! The long ER wait times worked in our favor for once. I think it was very careless of them to put it where anyone could grab it like that.
thats great that you got justice like that. these cameras come in handy sometime. my brother's gf had her cell stolen in the gym where she is a manager. she checked the tape, saw the guy who did it and got his cell number. my brother sent a whole bunch of very unpleasant messages to the guy. i bet he got very nervous at that point and then he returned the phone. i said she should involve police but i dont believe she did.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $99,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey