Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2013, 01:48 PM

1,037 posts, read 3,162,917 times

Advertisements

Citrus neighbors.... nice, or perhaps fruity neighbors?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2013, 09:53 AM

91 posts, read 375,999 times
There are a number of new townhouse options in Essex County. You're probably already familiar with the Bel Air and Vizcaya developments in West Orange. In South Orange, which is on the train line, there are The Manors, which have 3 bedroom townhomes ranging from the mid $700s to $1M. Also on the train line are new, 3 bedroom townhomes from the high $900s to $2M being built at The Enclave at Short Hills.

Other developments under construction accessible to train stations and buses but not on the train line are Hidden Ridge at North Caldwell, 4 bedrooms $750-$800k, and The Grande at Livingston, 3 bedrooms $760-$800k.

Roseland Green in Roseland has 3 bedrooms in the $500s to $700s. In Cedar Grove, you'll find detached townhomes at The Summit in the $600s and at Reservoir Ridge in the $500s-$600s.

If you're looking for a more urban environment on the train line, you can find several choices in Montclair: The Heights at Nottinghill, 66 South Fullerton, 119 Walnut St, 8 South Mountain and the distinct, Kip's Ridge.

If you would like more information regarding any of these townhouse developments, feel free to direct message me.

Old 03-01-2013, 06:30 PM

19 posts, read 44,762 times
Forget townhouses. Townhouse or house - preferably a house. Trying to figure out which area we would be happier in. We currently live further out in Jersey - Basking Ridge, and want to be closer to the city. I'm somewhat familiar with downtown Milburn, Livingston and Summit and they seem like really nice towns with lots of good restaurants and the Short Hills Mall. So Bergen County doesn't really have nice towns like that - mostly malls and highways? Also, I'm wondering if the Saturday - crazy - Sunday - everything closed is a pain in Bergen.

In Essex we'd be close enough to our old home to keep the same doctors, etc. and we're familiar with it.

What about getting to the city from Bergen or Essex?

Old 03-01-2013, 06:48 PM

19 posts, read 44,762 times
Labcjo - could you possibly articulate what might be some of the differences between the kinds of people who prefer Essex vs. Bergen?

Old 03-01-2013, 06:55 PM

10,222 posts, read 19,210,835 times
You can get an inexpensive (for North Jersey) house in West Orange, but it'll be an older one. The new ones command a premium.

The commute from towns along the Morris&Essex line to Midtown is better than the commute from the Bergen County lines, because you don't have to switch in Secaucus. The trick is getting to the station.

Old 03-03-2013, 09:42 AM

3,617 posts, read 3,883,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amazon2 View Post
So Bergen County doesn't really have nice towns like that - mostly malls and highways? Also, I'm wondering if the Saturday - crazy - Sunday - everything closed is a pain in Bergen
No, that's not really true. If someone from outside the county is only there when driving on the highways and going to the malls, then that will be their experience, but if you live there your experience will mainly be the small to medium sized nice towns, with the highways and malls just being for commuting and shopping (mainly clothes and large purchases).

The Saturday "crazy" thing is only really bad/noticeable if you live right on one of the highways or near the malls in Paramus. The Sunday "everything closed" is a pain initially, but you get in the habit of shopping on Saturday and it becomes a minor annoyance rather than a big deal. You can still get food and other essentials locally, and if for whatever reason you feel you absolutely must shop on Sunday there is always the mall in Rockland county.

Old 03-03-2013, 01:02 PM

1,202 posts, read 3,029,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amazon2 View Post
Also, I'm wondering if the Saturday - crazy - Sunday - everything closed is a pain in Bergen.
It is, and it will likely never change and is one reason I can't wait to get out of Bergen County for good.

Old 03-03-2013, 01:04 PM

3,984 posts, read 7,075,803 times
Driving around on Sundays in B.C. was a pleasure when I lived there. People don't need shopping 365 days a year. One can go to Willowbrook if they must have mall action.

B.C. is very similar to upper Essex County. Homes in southern Bergen for around $300K all the way up to multi-million $ estates in Saddle River & Franklin Lakes and lots of stock in between. Crime is lower in Bergen overall because it doesn't have cities.

Old 03-03-2013, 01:07 PM

3,984 posts, read 7,075,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brokenaperture View Post
It is, and it will likely never change and is one reason I can't wait to get out of Bergen County for good.
I thought the same when I lived there. But Middlesex & Monmouth are just as crowded and in some parts moreso. Route 1 makes Route 17 look fast & efficient.

Old 03-03-2013, 01:10 PM

1,202 posts, read 3,029,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EBWick View Post
I thought the same when I lived there. But Middlesex & Monmouth are just as crowded and in some parts moreso. Route 1 makes Route 17 look fast & efficient.
This is true, and Monmouth Co is the preferred destination. It'd just be nice to be able to go to the Lowes that's down the street today rather than trek to Passaic or Hudson Co. Most of the time I just say "eh screw it I'll go next week" and crack a beer instead
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey