Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2013, 06:10 PM

12,283 posts, read 35,677,666 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck172 View Post
I live in rural Sussex County. Believe me when I say nothing has been sold near me in quite a long time. How can my house be assessed correctly when all, and I do mean all comparable houses near me that are larger and newer are assessed for less than mine is.
There must be some standard by which value is placed on houses around here. It would seem like there should be a computer program that would logically set a dollar amount on each house regardless of who owns it. How is the final value of the house actually set? Who sets it?
the assessor hired by the town sets the value. i dont know what to tell you - if you go in there with the argument "my house is assessed higher than theirs but theirs is nicer/larger/more property", you're going to get laughed out of the building. believe me - I did it the "right" way and lost.

do you think your property is valued correctly? forget your neighbors. If you "believe" your property is worth $500K - your assessment (taking into account the equalization ratio) can be as low as $425K and you wouldn't have a case (the 15% mentioned earlier).

you have to stop looking at your neighbors and their assessed value - it's not going to get you anywhere, believe me. you don't want to waste $150 or so to file and get dismissed for lack of proper documentation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2013, 06:12 PM

Quote:
Are there any companies that take on these appeals on a contingency basis?
based on what you've said about your situation, i can't imagine anyone taking this on contingency.

Old 02-27-2013, 06:25 PM

325 posts, read 582,509 times
So if the accessor sets the value. I want to show him comparable homes and ask him to justify how I'm being accessed at a higher value.
If these homes are larger, and newer. If I'm paying more and he can't satisfy me with justification, you mean I don't have a leg to stand on as far as a formal tax appeal?

Old 02-27-2013, 06:32 PM

1,619 posts, read 3,770,959 times
I found that if a house is over accessed, then that owner would be getting mail from every firm under the sun that wants to take care of this for you (for a fee of course). My house was reassed down a couple of years ago, but because of a paperwork issue, it didn't hit the records. I get 3 or 4 envelopes a week from law firms and the such offering to lower my taxes

Old 02-27-2013, 06:41 PM

I'd love to get on that mailing list.

Old 02-27-2013, 06:45 PM

I'm gonna get an appointment with the tax accesser. I'll do my homework and be prepared. I'll have 6 houses very near me that are comparable. I'll show him that they are valued less, yet bigger and newer. I want him to justify his decision on why I pay more. If he can, O.K, but if he can't, and he just says I have to pay, then there must be another step for me!

Old 02-27-2013, 06:59 PM

Quote:
I'm gonna get an appointment with the tax accesser. I'll do my homework and be prepared. I'll have 6 houses very near me that are comparable. I'll show him that they are valued less, yet bigger and newer. I want him to justify his decision on why I pay more. If he can, O.K, but if he can't, and he just says I have to pay, then there must be another step for me!

you never answered my question about how you feel YOUR assessed value is, because the assessor will have that info.

regardless, good luck.

Old 02-27-2013, 07:24 PM

All I can say to that question tahiti, is no I don't feel my assessed value is correct only on the basis that I'm not inline with my neighbors assessment.
Maybe there is a mistake and all my neighbors are paying too low an assessment and my assessed value is correct. Then that's just not right.

Old 02-28-2013, 05:47 AM

1,049 posts, read 4,018,863 times
As Tahiti said, forget about your neighbor's house and see what your house is worth. then work from there. Your comps need to be current (1 year) sold comps only and they need to be very very similar to your home.

As for the contingency tax appealers, if they run the numbers and they feel they do not have a chance, they will not take the case.

Old 02-28-2013, 06:35 AM

Quote:
All I can say to that question tahiti, is no I don't feel my assessed value is correct only on the basis that I'm not inline with my neighbors assessment.
Maybe there is a mistake and all my neighbors are paying too low an assessment and my assessed value is correct. Then that's just not right.
This is my last post on this subject bc you're not getting it. You will LOSE your appeal with the way you're going about it. Your neighbor's assessed value has ZERO to do with yours. Do whatever you want but you're flushing money down the bowl if you proceed the way you're going. Fair or unfair, it does not matter.

I absolutely refuse to believe that if you feel your home is worth $500k, you'd sell for $425 bc your neighbor's homes are larger and newer. That is essentially what you just said.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey