Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2013, 09:17 AM

1,041 posts, read 3,012,717 times

Advertisements

I was reading an article on yahoo finance the other day, they recommended, if you cant afford the PITI (principal, interest taxes and ins) with ONE weeks of income (household), then you are stretching yourself.

This is obviously, not applicable to everyone, if you have no kids, i would spend more, but i generally agree with the advise.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2013, 09:37 AM

2,257 posts, read 5,188,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by renxiaomi View Post
I am relocating from mid-west, and apparently house price in NJ is way higher. I am looking for 4 br SFH in a top quality school district in central NJ, whith a little yard. Hopefully in good condition.

I have raised my budget up and up, and now it seems that the houses I like are around 900K. For a price like this (850K-950K), how much do people earn to be able to afford that? I assume everybody put 20% down.
Not sure what your expectations are but there is no way a decent 4BR house with a little yard should cost 850k in Central NJ (well, it could cost twice as much but you are not trying to buy the most expensive house on the street, are you?). There are tons of towns with great schools (East Brunswick, Metuchen, Bridgewater, Westfield, South Brunswick, Princeton) where you can buy a decent 4BR for 500-600k.

As far as what you should make to buy a house that costs 600k+, that depends on tens of other factors - like your age and health condition, your work profile & industry, current savings, current debt & liabilities, future plans, visa status, pending judgements, etc. Depending on the above factors, 225k may be enough or even 500k may not be enough.

Old 02-28-2013, 09:51 AM

22 posts, read 92,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davenj08 View Post
Not sure what your expectations are but there is no way a decent 4BR house with a little yard should cost 850k in Central NJ (well, it could cost twice as much but you are not trying to buy the most expensive house on the street, are you?). There are tons of towns with great schools (East Brunswick, Metuchen, Bridgewater, Westfield, South Brunswick, Princeton) where you can buy a decent 4BR for 500-600k.

As far as what you should make to buy a house that costs 600k+, that depends on tens of other factors - like your age and health condition, your work profile & industry, current savings, current debt & liabilities, future plans, visa status, pending judgements, etc. Depending on the above factors, 225k may be enough or even 500k may not be enough.

Well, I am currently looking at Basking Ridge, no way to find a decent 4br less than 800K. I am thinking of expand the search to Warren or vicinity, but Bridgewater schools seem not to be as good?

Old 02-28-2013, 10:08 AM

31,771 posts, read 40,698,345 times
your needs dont seem to require you to spend 850-900k. im not familiar with basking ridge though.

if you really want to be thorough, you should work out a budget of expenses and see how much you have to spend on the house, understanding the bigger the house the more property taxes and utility bills (among other expenses associated with a house). i didnt really do that down to that level of detail for my purchase but i knew that i wasnt cutting it anywhere near close. but if you are concerned, you should work it out.

Old 02-28-2013, 10:09 AM

LOL

Its funny to see a posting on here when a poster from one uppity town $h!ts on another less uppity towns school B.

Meanwhile, there are posts from folks who live in less uppity town B, $h!tting on even lesser uppity town C.

"Dont buy in middlesex, piscataway somerville, plainfield! Buy in Bridgwater, schools are GREAT!"

Another post a few weeks later

Quote:
Originally Posted by renxiaomi View Post
Well, I am currently looking at Basking Ridge, no way to find a decent 4br less than 800K. I am thinking of expand the search to Warren or vicinity, but Bridgewater schools seem not to be as good?

lol

Old 02-28-2013, 10:13 AM

i believe there are people who live in areas where the schools arent highly rated that take offense when people ask about areas with highly rated schools. probably best to ignore them.

Old 02-28-2013, 10:16 AM

12,283 posts, read 35,690,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyStarksNJ View Post
LOL

Its funny to see a posting on here when a poster from one uppity town $h!ts on another less uppity towns school B.

Meanwhile, there are posts from folks who live in less uppity town B, $h!tting on even lesser uppity town C.

"Dont buy in middlesex, piscataway somerville, plainfield! Buy in Bridgwater, schools are GREAT!"

Another post a few weeks later

lol
LOL is right!

Old 02-28-2013, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
i believe there are people who live in areas where the schools arent highly rated that take offense when people ask about areas with highly rated schools. probably best to ignore them.
So Bridgwater is officially off the list of good places to live in NJ list? Good to know.

Old 02-28-2013, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyStarksNJ View Post
So Bridgwater is officially off the list of good places to live in NJ list? Good to know.
some people will respond to posts with something totally unrelated to what was said in the post they are responding to. those people should probably be ignored.

Old 02-28-2013, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
some people will respond to posts with something totally unrelated to what was said in the post they are responding to. those people should probably be ignored.
sorry i went off topic
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey