Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2007, 12:53 PM

122 posts, read 477,875 times

Advertisements

Any recommendations on a nice shore town for retirement? Was thinking about Toms River or Pt Pleasant area, but not ruling out going further south.
Would like a nice town that you can walk to the stores (without getting run over by a speeding cars).
Thought about Ocean City but prices ????
Doesn't need to be that near to the water. Would be willing to drive or ride a bike to the beach.
Will be moving from north Jersey. Would be happy in a smallish house in a nice neighborhood. Not too thrilled about moving to an "age restrictive active adults" community.
Thought about moving from Jersey but haven't found another state that I really want to move to. Nearly everyone that I've met that moved out of Jersey said they would move back except they cannot afford to move back.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2007, 01:47 PM

1,363 posts, read 5,915,555 times
I was going to vote for Pt. Pleasant. My husband's grandparents retired there and were very happy.

Old 10-24-2007, 01:59 PM

13,374 posts, read 28,620,253 times
Cape May??
Wildwood..all though very busy in the summer

Old 10-24-2007, 04:13 PM

3,377 posts, read 14,583,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl3624 View Post
Any recommendations on a nice shore town for retirement? Was thinking about Toms River or Pt Pleasant area, but not ruling out going further south.
Would like a nice town that you can walk to the stores (without getting run over by a speeding cars).
Doesn't need to be that near to the water. Would be willing to drive or ride a bike to the beach.
Will be moving from north Jersey. Would be happy in a smallish house in a nice neighborhood. Not too thrilled about moving to an "age restrictive active adults" community.
Thought about moving from Jersey but haven't found another state that I really want to move to. Nearly everyone that I've met that moved out of Jersey said they would move back except they cannot afford to move back.
Your pretty brave saying you want to stay in New Jersey. Good for you. We have friends in Pine Beach (its between South Toms River and Ocean Gate) and their home is on the Toms River with a beautiful view. It seems to be sort of a slow paced town and I've noticed that the township beach is usually pretty empty. I know the homes in their area are well kept but I do not know how much homes cost. It might be worth investigating. I also like the homes in Manahawkin along the lagoons. Good luck to you

Old 10-24-2007, 04:18 PM

11,296 posts, read 16,590,633 times
Quote:
Even though you're not crazy about 55+, check out Lennar Builders in Rio Grande (exit 4 GSP). Prices are now down to $245,000 and and the house is nicely upgraded. It's also 7 miles from the beach, so the area doesn't get to crowded, even during the summer, so I've been told.

Old 10-24-2007, 04:19 PM

604 posts, read 2,906,611 times
Default In the same boat.

We are also thinking of South Jersey. We looked at NC and it looks like NJ of 10 years ago except for the lower taxes.Still lots of not so friendly to Northerners types around. Looked at PA and that may still be an option but the taxes are about the same as NJ adjusted for lower home prices.
Yesterday we took a ride to Millville(very depressed) passed Vineland (depressed also) and drove around Buena (looks promising) Folsom (getting better) and Williamstown (actually has a real main street).
I like the fact that a lot of the towns in the Pinelands have restrictions on building so it will never become what North Jersey has become (too overcrowded)
I will make another trip soon and check out other areas in the Pinelands area and after I find a suitable area I will then look at real estate.
I have lived in Central NJ for 60+ years and it is not going to be easy to move to another location. At least in South Jersey they speak a sort of English that I can understand.
Home prices in South Jersey seem to be about 1/2 of the cost of the same house up North.
I too have read about those leaving NJ and want to come back but can't afford it any longer.

Maybe I should just stay in my home state.

E

Old 10-24-2007, 04:26 PM

2,689 posts, read 3,941,780 times
Quote:

toms river is way too built out now and pt is nice but you need to go to brick or toms river for your services and like I said both areas are way too congested. If you have a few bucks to spend and don't mind a bit of isolation in the off months consider LBI

Old 10-24-2007, 09:06 PM

828 posts, read 3,132,517 times
Toms River has become almost like a City.
Too many people.
Too congested with traffic.
Lacey is nice and has great parks, and Point Pleasant Beach is a nice choice.

Old 10-24-2007, 09:07 PM

31 posts, read 105,570 times
Consider Fair Haven. Cute, charming town of less than 6000. Ten minutes to the Beach, 15 minutes to Sandy Hook National Park. Right next door to Red Bank (hip, happening town), right next door on the other side to Rumson (luxury-ville). Many people don't know Fair Haven, but it's directly on the Navesink River, filled with all types...from families to retirees, to young singles. Not cheap, but if you want Mayberry-by-the-beach, this is it!!! Can get a sweet, smaller house for under $500K.

Old 10-28-2007, 04:47 PM

3 posts, read 16,178 times
Why not come to North Wildwood, we have everything. I can answer any of your ??'s, I am a realtor here. Email me at nancy@donmartinrealty.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey