U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-08-2013, 09:05 PM

3,861 posts, read 8,068,030 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerseys Rants View Post
I almost feel bad for the lil google maps car that has to drive through that, an well is that a lap top that kid has ?
It could be one of those toy laptops where the kids play games on it (word puzzles and things like that). Something like this, for instance.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2013, 12:29 PM

4,864 posts, read 10,287,695 times
I watched Rock Center last night and was pretty disappointed with the segment on Camden. It was very brief and really didn't get into the issues.

Old 03-09-2013, 02:45 PM

30,318 posts, read 20,688,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ansky View Post
I watched Rock Center last night and was pretty disappointed with the segment on Camden. It was very brief and really didn't get into the issues.
I felt the same way.

Old 03-09-2013, 05:28 PM

2,693 posts, read 3,629,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ansky View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
I felt the same way.
Here it is for those who missed it:

Old 03-09-2013, 05:53 PM

79 posts, read 168,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by checkmatechamp13 View Post
It could be one of those toy laptops where the kids play games on it (word puzzles and things like that). Something like this, for instance.

Ahhhhh OK, I never seen one to those before..

Old 03-10-2013, 10:11 AM

908 posts, read 1,382,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewJerseyMemories View Post
Here it is for those who missed it:

Thanks for posting this. I caught the end of Brian's show last night and missed this segment. Its so very sad, and beaks my heart that people who have no clue what poverty & witnessing mayhem from the time you're a child does to one's psyche, are so quick to just and label all these people as lazy savages who don't want better. MOST want better, and work hard for it, its just that their hard work reaps far less than other people's. Its good to see there are some community leaders who are trying, and I'm happy the police will get more help. There's still tons more to be done, and more people need to get involved. Unfortunately, many are just scared. I may not be willing to live in Camden, but they certainly will be in my prayers. Prayer/well wishes, is the least any human can do for others.

Old 03-10-2013, 10:43 AM

908 posts, read 1,382,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by checkmatechamp13 View Post
That's what it looks like to me. I bought something similar for my kids at a garage sale for a couple of dollars a few years back. Still, even if it as a laptop, so what? Why can't the working poor save their hard earned money to purchase a useful tool like a laptop for their kids? PC's are NEEDED today.

When we had kids we decided I'd stay home to raise & home-school them, even though I earned more than my husband. Its what was best for our kids because I had the background in childhood development and education. There was NO daycare or school who would have done a better job, and there won't be until they go to college(even then, the college is only better academically). Still, living on one income was tough. We shopped garage sales, thrift stores, clearance racks, and clipped coupons to make it happen. My husband got me a nice used laptop from one of his business associates to help me home-school our kids. It was a great product that we didn't pay much for. My kids never knew until recently that we live on a tight budget, because we are so frugal & resourceful at getting quality items. No they do NOT care that other kids get new sneakers every other week, because we raise them to be individuals, not sheep.

I just get so sick of higher income people, and often people who may be the same income bracket, but far less frugal and not resourceful enough to find great deals, degrading the working poor(in NJ many fit this category) when they have nice things, or things the other people deem only fit for those who earn a great deal of money. Don't be mad at me because I paid $30 for 3 pairs of name brand sneakers from last season for my kids, that you wouldn't have bought anyway because you raise your kids to be be media/industry slaves. Either get with the program, or shut up & mind your business.

I'm not speaking to you checkmate. I know from your post, you don't think this way. I'm just making a general statement because many people have a one track mind when it comes to poor people, especially if the poor in question are minorities.
Critical thinking is lacking severely in today's society.
Thanks for at least offering another possible scenario to the picture.

Old 03-10-2013, 06:48 PM

386 posts, read 766,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerseys Rants View Post
I almost feel bad for the lil google maps car that has to drive through that
Half of the city has no street view. Some Google employee is a *****.

Old 03-10-2013, 09:50 PM

3,861 posts, read 8,068,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by colorfulchic83 View Post
Don't be mad at me because I paid $30 for 3 pairs of name brand sneakers from last season for my kids, that you wouldn't have bought anyway because you raise your kids to be be media/industry slaves. Either get with the program, or shut up & mind your business.

I'm not speaking to you checkmate. I know from your post, you don't think this way. I'm just making a general statement because many people have a one track mind when it comes to poor people, especially if the poor in question are minorities.
Critical thinking is lacking severely in today's society.
Thanks for at least offering another possible scenario to the picture.
Yeah, I get annoyed when people talk about "How did they manage to afford those? Our tax dollars are paying for that?" when they don't know the full story. It's possible that they foolishly spent their money, or it's possible that they managed to get that item cheaply (used, knockoff, etc).

I actually have one of those toy laptops from when I was little, with that same grey color. (And I've also never been big with brand-name things)

For the rest of your post,

Quote:
Originally Posted by T_Sporano View Post
Half of the city has no street view. Some Google employee is a *****.
Bing maps basically covers the entire city. For instance:

WhitmanPark_zps7eeba782.jpg Photo by ajedrez1 | Photobucket

Damn, I wish I could figure out how to put the picture up. I clicked on that Picture icon, but it didn't have any "OK" button or anything.

From what some people have said, that part of Camden is the worst part (people have mentioned Whitman Park and Liberty Park, and how passing through Mount Ephraim Avenue is terrible), but yet a decent amount of the blocks in those areas don't look too bad.

Last edited by checkmatechamp13; 03-10-2013 at 10:00 PM..

Old 03-11-2013, 08:06 AM

28,083 posts, read 33,134,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by colorfulchic83 View Post
Don't be mad at me because I paid $30 for 3 pairs of name brand sneakers from last season for my kids, that you wouldn't have bought anyway because you raise your kids to be be media/industry slaves.
haha colorful buys the name brand sneakers but she is less of a sheep because she buys last seasons as opposed to the sheep/slaves that buy this season's name brand sneakers. what a bitter, angry, hateful person.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or