U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2013, 10:49 AM

12,284 posts, read 32,796,987 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by foo cities View Post
Philly is the worst big city! High crime rate, poor economy, run down neighborhoods,horrible climate, dirty, corruptions, lacking a vibrant core and gets poor ranking constantly on surveys.

Camden is the worst small city! High crime, slums, bad weather and lousy job market.
philly the worst big city? how laughable.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2013, 11:07 AM

79 posts, read 168,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by foo cities View Post
Philly is the worst big city! High crime rate, poor economy, run down neighborhoods,horrible climate, dirty, corruptions, lacking a vibrant core and gets poor ranking constantly on surveys.

Camden is the worst small city! High crime, slums, bad weather and lousy job market.

Apparently you have never been to Baltimore... I got family there well I did they finally moved to Pasadena which is out in the county and very nice and cheap I might add..

Now they are building it up, South Balto is really looking good but there is a reason they call West Baltimore the Wild Wild West..

Old 03-07-2013, 12:05 PM

27,853 posts, read 33,020,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJGOAT View Post
You don't get around much if you think Philly is the "worst" big city.
in all fairness, when you "get out" you probably dont go to cities that would compete for the "worst city" title. the recent poster who mentioned baltimore i think made a good choice. when i went to school in dc i became familiar with how bad of a city baltimore is.

i dont really visit places that would go on the bad city list, so for me philly is one of the worst cities ive visited. but i know there are plenty of worse ones out there.

Old 03-07-2013, 12:28 PM

14,781 posts, read 37,945,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
in all fairness, when you "get out" you probably dont go to cities that would compete for the "worst city" title. the recent poster who mentioned baltimore i think made a good choice. when i went to school in dc i became familiar with how bad of a city baltimore is.

i dont really visit places that would go on the bad city list, so for me philly is one of the worst cities ive visited. but i know there are plenty of worse ones out there.
True. Most people don't vacation in the "ghettos of America". Being in the automotive/transportation industry though, I've had ample opportunities to travel to a lot of the actual "worst cities" when on business. Philadelphia is downright cosmopolitan compared to a lot of places.

Old 03-07-2013, 12:34 PM

12,284 posts, read 32,796,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJGOAT View Post
True. Most people don't vacation in the "ghettos of America". Being in the automotive/transportation industry though, I've had ample opportunities to travel to a lot of the actual "worst cities" when on business. Philadelphia is downright cosmopolitan compared to a lot of places.
we do, LOL

We're going to Philly over Spring Break for 2 days, we've gone to Baltimore, DC, Pittsburgh, and some South Western Ghettos (Winslow, AZ for example). My kids don't need to see lily white pretty suburbia all the time

As far as Baltimore goes, we stayed near the harbor so it was very nice, but I did notice that it turns on a dime.

Only someone who hasn't traveled a decent amount would call Philly the worst big city in the nation or a "ghetto".

Old 03-07-2013, 12:44 PM

8,246 posts, read 18,039,935 times
Thanks to Youtube, you can 'tour' the places from your computer:

PHILADELPHIA - YouTube

Law and Disorder in Philadelphia (Documentary Film) - YouTube

Old 03-07-2013, 01:07 PM

2,706 posts, read 2,944,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerseys Rants View Post
Did the gather around your car at the stoplight like they do in Paterson ?

When I was home last September I learned you don't stop a traffic lights in Patterson and I was making a simple turn to get back on Rt 21 Back to Clifton.. Not even stopped for 2 min..
Have to be careful if you do that now in Paterson. There are now street cameras on many corners. Paterson is like one Big Brother experiment. The purpose is to catch criminals (on paper) but they will send you a ticket in the mail if you run a red light. Of course, if you could prove that you were being harassed, you might be able to fight it.

I used to have to do field work in Camden, and while stopped at a light, the car in front of me had his rear window smashed out with a tire iron (this was not a parked car, but a car stopped at a light), the thief grabbed two speakers or something in a box on the rear deck and took off. It happened in 1 or 2 seconds, at this intersection in North Camden:

Google Maps

I was working in this general vicinity, the absolute most dangerous neighborhood in NJ, in my opinion, North Camden:

Google Maps

Old 03-07-2013, 01:13 PM

27,853 posts, read 33,020,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VintageSunlight View Post
I was working in this general vicinity, the absolute most dangerous neighborhood in NJ, in my opinion, North Camden:

Google Maps
poor kids

Old 03-07-2013, 02:42 PM

Quote:
I wanna say that last time I was in Philly I was in Little Italy in 1980 I was 9, I had some cousins that lived there.. We roamed around but not much, it was like Newark to me but with amazing cheese steaks..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vintage Sunlight
I used to have to do field work in Camden, and while stopped at a light, the car in front of me had his rear window smashed out with a tire iron (this was not a parked car, but a car stopped at a light), the thief grabbed two speakers or something in a box on the rear deck and took off. It happened in 1 or 2 seconds
Dude, that is crazy ! I can't even fathom that while waiting for a light, As a I said in Newark and Kearny we were bad but not at all like that..

Old 03-07-2013, 02:45 PM

Quote:
poor kids

I almost feel bad for the lil google maps car that has to drive through that, an well is that a lap top that kid has ?

Side note here is a picture I found..Of Camden Fire Dept in the 60s
Attached Thumbnails
Worst City In The Nation.-camden-fd-1960s.jpg  
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or