U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2013, 02:47 PM

55,667 posts, read 49,523,862 times

Advertisements

East St Louis poverty rate: 38.6%
Camden poverty: 35.9%

East St. Louis murder rate(2011): 92.3 murders per 100,000
Camden murder rate(2011): 60.6 murders per 100,000

East St. Louis murder rate average(1999-2011): 69 murders per 100,000
Camden murder rate average(1999-2011): 45.75 murders per 100,000

East St. Louis unemployment rate: 18.5%
Camden unemployment rate: 18.8%

East St. Louis is even worse. East St. Louis has a murder rate that is frequently worse than Camden's. The poverty rate is higher than in Camden. The statistic I posted came from city-data. The most recent estimate I know of puts East St. Louis at a poverty rate around 43.7%. The unemployment rate in East St. Louis is only ever so slightly lower than Camden, but barely. East St. Louis has another problem. East St. Louis has one of the highest rates of pollution in the USA. ESL has one of the highest rates of lead in the air, and high rates of ozone and sulfur pollution. East St. Louis is surrounded by chemical plants belching pollutants into the air. Because these plants sit within their own municipalities, the city can't really do much about it. These plants are technically not in East St. Louis, but the city gets polluted just the same.

Asthma and the inner city: East St. Louis children struggle with life-threatening disease — Environmental Health News
Toxic waste and race: A dangerous blend
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2013, 03:10 PM

2,693 posts, read 3,625,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VintageSunlight View Post
Have to be careful if you do that now in Paterson. There are now street cameras on many corners. Paterson is like one Big Brother experiment. The purpose is to catch criminals (on paper) but they will send you a ticket in the mail if you run a red light. Of course, if you could prove that you were being harassed, you might be able to fight it.

I used to have to do field work in Camden, and while stopped at a light, the car in front of me had his rear window smashed out with a tire iron (this was not a parked car, but a car stopped at a light), the thief grabbed two speakers or something in a box on the rear deck and took off. It happened in 1 or 2 seconds, at this intersection in North Camden:

Google Maps

I was working in this general vicinity, the absolute most dangerous neighborhood in NJ, in my opinion, North Camden:

Google Maps
I've heard that Camden is very bad. I've also heard that Irvington has an even higher crime rate per capita, but it is not included in most statistics because it only has around 53,000 people (there were about 60,000 in 2000 but residents are fleeing from the city.)

Do they attack cars at intersections in Irvington?

Old 03-07-2013, 03:11 PM

14,781 posts, read 37,956,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
East St Louis poverty rate: 38.6%
Camden poverty: 35.9%

East St. Louis murder rate(2011): 92.3 murders per 100,000
Camden murder rate(2011): 60.6 murders per 100,000

East St. Louis murder rate average(1999-2011): 69 murders per 100,000
Camden murder rate average(1999-2011): 45.75 murders per 100,000

East St. Louis unemployment rate: 18.5%
Camden unemployment rate: 18.8%

East St. Louis is even worse. East St. Louis has a murder rate that is frequently worse than Camden's. The poverty rate is higher than in Camden. The statistic I posted came from city-data. The most recent estimate I know of puts East St. Louis at a poverty rate around 43.7%. The unemployment rate in East St. Louis is only ever so slightly lower than Camden, but barely. East St. Louis has another problem. East St. Louis has one of the highest rates of pollution in the USA. ESL has one of the highest rates of lead in the air, and high rates of ozone and sulfur pollution. East St. Louis is surrounded by chemical plants belching pollutants into the air. Because these plants sit within their own municipalities, the city can't really do much about it. These plants are technically not in East St. Louis, but the city gets polluted just the same.

Asthma and the inner city: East St. Louis children struggle with life-threatening disease — Environmental Health News
Toxic waste and race: A dangerous blend
Obviously based on the data East St. Louis is worse, but with a population of 27,000 it doesn't meet the definition of "city" that is used in the rankings. I think you need a population of at least 50,000 to be considered in the "city rankings".

Old 03-07-2013, 03:13 PM

14,781 posts, read 37,956,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnutella View Post
Camden : Philadelphia :: Gary : Chicago :: East St. Louis : St. Louis

What do Camden, Gary and East St. Louis have in common? Three things...

1. They're all post-industrial ghetto ****holes.
2. They're all extensions of nearby major cities.
3. They're all located in different states than the central cities that they're near.
Interesting. One other thing that they all have in common. They all lie to the east of the "parent city". Given that wind blows primarily west to east, that means that when the core cities were all industrial centers, those towns were all located "down wind".

Old 03-07-2013, 03:51 PM

79 posts, read 168,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewJerseyMemories View Post

My cousin was an Irvington Police and walked a beat in the 80s and 90s, while I lived in the next town over in Maplewood..

Irvington has gotten really bad , I was just back there in September..

Now they don't go up to cars at intersections and harass you but you will get car jacked..

But the Shootings and Stabbings are on the rise along with your Breaking and Entering.. Car theft is gotten bad there..

A lot of businesses moved out, its a shame too

Old 03-07-2013, 04:12 PM

55,667 posts, read 49,523,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJGOAT View Post
Obviously based on the data East St. Louis is worse, but with a population of 27,000 it doesn't meet the definition of "city" that is used in the rankings. I think you need a population of at least 50,000 to be considered in the "city rankings".
That is the thing. It doesn't consider places with populations as small as East St. Louis. My point was that as bad as Camden is, there are some places even worse.

Old 03-07-2013, 04:55 PM

1,381 posts, read 1,135,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerseys Rants View Post
My cousin was an Irvington Police and walked a beat in the 80s and 90s, while I lived in the next town over in Maplewood..

Irvington has gotten really bad , I was just back there in September..

Now they don't go up to cars at intersections and harass you but you will get car jacked..

But the Shootings and Stabbings are on the rise along with your Breaking and Entering.. Car theft is gotten bad there..

A lot of businesses moved out, its a shame too
yeah, Ivrington is real bad. I used to be up there alot because I lived near by. People are leaving at a large rate, there is only 53k people left

Old 03-07-2013, 05:47 PM

8,701 posts, read 12,665,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
I can think of places worse than Philadelphia. I know there are problems in Philadelphia, but to say Philadelphia is the worst big city in America is beyond stretch. Detroit is truly the worst big city. The economy there is much worse than Philadephia, half of the city is abandoned and vacant, Detroit just came out of a corruption scandal with Kwame Kilpatrick a few years ago, not to mention there is a current possibility that Detroit could go into state receivership if it doesn't get its act together. Detroit's population went from 1.5 million in 1950 to 711,700 in 2011. Detroit has lost more than half of its population within 60 years. Detroit is ranked as THE most dangerous city in America. And it is quite dirty in many parts of the city.
Don't bother responding. Go back and look through the thread. This is the second time he posted this. He's a troll and constantly bashes Philadelphia. He only does it so he can get a reaction out of people.

Old 03-07-2013, 09:21 PM

2,706 posts, read 2,945,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewJerseyMemories View Post
I've heard that Camden is very bad. I've also heard that Irvington has an even higher crime rate per capita, but it is not included in most statistics because it only has around 53,000 people (there were about 60,000 in 2000 but residents are fleeing from the city.)

I tell myself that the guy that got robbed knew the robber. Because I was so nervous driving around this neighborhood. The streets are so narrow and the burned out homes are right there, on the street. Drug deals going down in plain sight, just feet from your car. Its very imposing and right in your face. When cars are in front of you, and behind you, you are literally trapped on some of these streets, and many of them are too narrow to even fit a car without driving on someones sidewalk:

Google Maps

Old 03-08-2013, 12:23 AM

6,967 posts, read 18,807,814 times
Default had to be posted again

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or