Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2013, 10:52 AM

5,767 posts, read 16,542,723 times

Advertisements

The interesting part of NJ that most if us are used to because we're surrounded and immersed in it is in NJ often within minutes you can go from mountains and forests to ocean and beaches and the communities range from rural through all sorts of suburban variations to all sorts of urban cities.

A lot of us are familar with 99% of it but to someone from a different state or country it can be bewildering.

Anyway back to work here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2013, 03:19 PM

341 posts, read 677,555 times
I can understand the OP's frustration. If the people who start those threads would just use the search function they would see that their question has been answered already ad infinitum. However, the NJ board would be considerably smaller if these posters were directed towards similar previous threads, but I don't think that is in the best interests of the people who own City Data. There is a method to the madness, so to speak.

Old 03-06-2013, 03:33 PM

9,359 posts, read 20,732,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raven1976 View Post
I'm looking for a unsafe town with mediocre to horrible schools, nonexistent downtown, 2 hour commute to NY in the $75k to $150k

might be much easier to find. Any ideas?
Phillipsburg? Hartford CT?

Old 03-06-2013, 05:24 PM

10,221 posts, read 19,154,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raven1976 View Post
I'm looking for a unsafe town with mediocre to horrible schools, nonexistent downtown, 2 hour commute to NY in the $75k to $150k

might be much easier to find. Any ideas?
Trenton or Camden might work (although for Camden you'll have to drive to keep the commute down, and with your car getting stolen all the time that might be a problem). Trenton has a downtown but it's lousy. If you can handle a shorter commute, Paterson might work; not sure if it has a downtown or it's all boarded up.

Old 03-06-2013, 05:29 PM

2,734 posts, read 4,140,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magic78 View Post
If I see one more post titled.....looking for safe town with excellent schools, walkable downtown, easy commute to NYC on train, $400-$500,000 range....I'm going to scream!

Sorry...feeding my newborn in the middle of the night for the second time and am delirious from lack of sleep!
And they always want LOW TAXES! I always shake my head *not in New Jersey*

Old 03-06-2013, 06:19 PM

88,293 posts, read 84,292,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magic78 View Post
I guess nobody here realizes that people post the same questions and get the same answers. Specific questions about towns are good. The same question looking for some perfect, non existent town drives me nuts.
Maybe you missed it, but we had a pretty funny thread about that very subject sometime last year. Too lazy to look right now.

Old 03-06-2013, 07:59 PM

3,984 posts, read 7,062,470 times
In addition to low taxes, modern housing, large lots, 1/2 hour to NYC, excellent schools, a walkable downtown and a family-friendly environment - you also get the "I want a neighborhood that's mostly _____" (Chinese, Indian, Italian, German, Jewish, gay, black, etc.) This one kills me the most. Especially from Manhattanites who live in supposedly the most diverse city in the world.

Old 03-07-2013, 01:31 AM

1,450 posts, read 3,444,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Maybe you missed it, but we had a pretty funny thread about that very subject sometime last year. Too lazy to look right now.

I think perhaps you are thinking about this thread...I think we need a new sticky.... ;)

Old 03-07-2013, 07:15 AM

908 posts, read 1,551,346 times
I don't think people are purposely posting questions that were already asked. Searching the forum doesn't always turn up much information, or even threads on your search topic, leaving people with no choice but to start a new thread. Sometimes when you do, you still get little information.

Personally, I figured honing in on one's good old fashioned research paper skills will get you more information, minus the snide remarks, and resident trolls. It just takes more time. The "get it now" mentality of the information age, is why people don't have patience to do a bit more meticulous research. Another reason many still use these forums is because they live too far to actually visit the places, which is a major step, and MUST, if possible, in relocation research. I learned the HARD way, that it takes several visits, week days and weekends, to get a true feel of a town in ways that can't be graphed.
I sincerely appreciate the information I've gotten from those who actually did give information & relocation advice(many posts/comments have little to do with relocation,or errmmm city "data") on this forum. That being said, after being a member of the forum for 5+ yrs, I still prefer other sites online for more detailed and accurate information.

Old 03-07-2013, 10:25 AM

1,037 posts, read 3,151,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by colorfulchic83 View Post
I don't think people are purposely posting questions that were already asked. Searching the forum doesn't always turn up much information, or even threads on your search topic, leaving people with no choice but to start a new thread. Sometimes when you do, you still get little information.
You don't even need to search. Just scroll through about 10 pages on this forum and you will see a dozen or so threads. That's how I did it back in 2010 when I was looking to move from Brooklyn. I never posted a thread, I just read up on all the relevant posts (of course, with new threads popping up every other day). I got some really good information and visited various towns. People are too lazy to do any reading before they post questions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey