Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2013, 09:18 PM

2 posts, read 3,759 times

Advertisements

Where are you coming from? Hattiesburg, MS
Why are you moving? Husband got a job in NYC (near Barnard College)
Where will you be working ? If NYC, what part of NYC? Husband in NYC. For me, I have some possibilities in NYC, Paterson, and Newark.

Will you buy or rent? Rent
What is your budget ? Under $3000/month
What kind of place are you looking for ? Apartment or Rental House with 3 bedrooms and close to public transportation

Will anyone (spouse, children, pets) be moving with you ?Husband and three kids (10, 5, and 1)
Do you need/want good public schools? yes and reasonable daycare

Briefly describe the kind of neighborhood you'd like to live in
(examples: families with young children, young, mature, artsy, diverse, safe, close-knit, block parties, etc)

We would like a place that is safe and has other children, diversity is a plus, would also like to become a 1 car family so close to public transportation would be great. Kids are into tennis and tball so local youth sports would be great.

List three things that are important to you in order of importance.(examples: nightlife, outdoor activities, rural/urban, safety, downtown area, charming, new construction, proximity to XYZ, family oriented, easy parking, short commute, etc)

family friendly, public transportation (we would like to commute by train/bus), opportunity for community involvement

Greetings, my husband and I will be visiting the area next week and would like to check out some towns in NJ. My husband, and possibly myself, will be working in NYC. However I am applying for several places in NJ and we plan to make our home in NJ. My background in in education/nonprofit work. I have some leads on jobs in Newark and Paterson. We will not be making a final decision yet but I would like several places to check out. Some that have been suggested are Secaucus, Hackensack, Tenafly, Fort Lee/Edgewater. But I am open to any suggestions. I hope I have given enough info to garner some suggestions. Thanks in advance for your help. Also, we will have our 10 year old daughter with us on our trip March 13-19 so if there are any attractions/events going on in the areas mentioned, please let us know! Thanks!!!!

PS...if anybody is looking to hire or knows of a job for a special education, classroom, or social studies teacher, I am available, experienced, and New Jersey certified.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2013, 01:12 PM

88,509 posts, read 84,673,021 times
Three-bedroom apartments are hard to come by, so I think you'd be better off looking for a house to rent.

Look into Fair Lawn. Loads of activities/sports for the kids in that town, very family-oriented town, access to everything including major highways. Paterson is next door on the other side of the Passaic River, but even Newark is not a difficult commute from Fair Lawn.

Fair Lawn has two train stations on the Bergen County Line with fairly frequent service plus a couple of bus lines.

Old 03-10-2013, 09:44 AM

1,271 posts, read 3,230,808 times
If your husband's working near Barnard/Columbia, the train is not ideal, and Fair Lawn is a bad idea. The train lands him at Penn Station, which is a pretty long distance from his job. Better would be an area close to the George Washington Bridge from which he could take a bus over the bridge and then the subway south from the GWB bus station. In particular, Fort Lee at the base of the GWB has a lot of rental apartments, but any town in that immediate vicinity would work. Each has its own character, roughly as below:

1. Fort Lee - significant number of highrises, more recent NYC transplants, substantial Korean and Russian immigrant populations. Solid school system.
2. Englewood Cliffs - wealthier, mostly single-family homes (true of all other towns but Fort Lee), might be out of your price range, shares a (weak) high school with Englewood
3. Leonia - similar to Englewood Cliffs but fewer McMansions and more older homes
4. Palisades Park - heavily Korean, the hub of Korean immigration in the area
5. Englewood - weaker school system but very diverse, most walkable and attractive downtown, cheapest alternative
6. Tenafly - nationally recognized school system, very wealthy, might be out of your price range
7. Edgewater - mostly newer multifamily developments along the waterfront, beautiful views but can be pricey
8. Cliffside Park - sleepy and residential
9. Teaneck - also diverse like Englewood but with a better school system

Otherwise, I would recommend against Secaucus in particular, which is a pretty dreary and isolated town (in the middle of the Meadowlands) only good for the short commute to Midtown (where your husband isn't working anyway).

Old 03-10-2013, 10:15 AM

88,509 posts, read 84,673,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrownstoneNY View Post
If your husband's working near Barnard/Columbia, the train is not ideal, and Fair Lawn is a bad idea. The train lands him at Penn Station, which is a pretty long distance from his job. Better would be an area close to the George Washington Bridge from which he could take a bus over the bridge and then the subway south from the GWB bus station. In particular, Fort Lee at the base of the GWB has a lot of rental apartments, but any town in that immediate vicinity would work. Each has its own character, roughly as below:

1. Fort Lee - significant number of highrises, more recent NYC transplants, substantial Korean and Russian immigrant populations. Solid school system.
2. Englewood Cliffs - wealthier, mostly single-family homes (true of all other towns but Fort Lee), might be out of your price range, shares a (weak) high school with Englewood
3. Leonia - similar to Englewood Cliffs but fewer McMansions and more older homes
4. Palisades Park - heavily Korean, the hub of Korean immigration in the area
5. Englewood - weaker school system but very diverse, most walkable and attractive downtown, cheapest alternative
6. Tenafly - nationally recognized school system, very wealthy, might be out of your price range
7. Edgewater - mostly newer multifamily developments along the waterfront, beautiful views but can be pricey
8. Cliffside Park - sleepy and residential
9. Teaneck - also diverse like Englewood but with a better school system

Otherwise, I would recommend against Secaucus in particular, which is a pretty dreary and isolated town (in the middle of the Meadowlands) only good for the short commute to Midtown (where your husband isn't working anyway).
That was part of why I suggested Fair Lawn--he could just as easily take a bus down Route 4 and over the GWB and then the subway down, or take the train (or a bus to PABT) and a subway up, but Fair Lawn has the kid's activities they are looking for. The towns you mentioned might have that also--I don't know.

Fort Lee would be closest/shortest commute to Barnard.

Old 03-10-2013, 10:49 AM

908 posts, read 1,554,533 times
As for things to do in NJ & NYC, the following sites can help.

The Official Web Site for The State of New Jersey | Things to do in NJ

100 Things to Do in NYC with Kids Before They Grow Up - NYC Kids-Things to Do in New York City with Kids | Mommy Poppins - Things to Do in NYC with Kids

Hope enjoy your visit!

Old 03-10-2013, 05:34 PM

3,984 posts, read 7,073,085 times
I'd suggest the town of Rutherford. There's a train station downtown and buses to NYC, some nice restaurants, good schools and sports for kids. It would be within your price range. Close to the Meadowlands but with more of a leafy suburban feel. Secaucus OTOH is full of trucks and warehouses and to me doesn't have much of a family feel at all.

Old 03-10-2013, 06:18 PM

667 posts, read 1,743,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EBWick View Post
I'd suggest the town of Rutherford. There's a train station downtown and buses to NYC, some nice restaurants, good schools and sports for kids. It would be within your price range. Close to the Meadowlands but with more of a leafy suburban feel. Secaucus OTOH is full of trucks and warehouses and to me doesn't have much of a family feel at all.
Columbia U is basically 116th st. The best way would be to use GWB to get to Columbia not the Lincoln or Penn Station. So Rutherford wouldn't work. I think Brownstone's picks are dead on with Leonia being my fav pick on that list.

Old 03-10-2013, 07:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lfsr1544 View Post
Columbia U is basically 116th st. The best way would be to use GWB to get to Columbia not the Lincoln or Penn Station. So Rutherford wouldn't work. I think Brownstone's picks are dead on with Leonia being my fav pick on that list.
If commute is your only consideration, I'd agree. I personally don't like how crowded that whole Fort Lee/Pal Park/Leonia area of B.C. is. Either way, the commuter is going to have to get into the city first and then take a transfer bus or subway to his place of employment. You can get to that part of Manhattan from Penn by the 1 train IIRC.

From 34TH ST - PENN STATION 1/2/3/LIRR
Take the 242ND ST-VAN CORTLANDT PK bound Train departing at 7:34 AM
Get off at 116TH ST - COLUMBIA UNIVERSITY STATION 1 at 7:51 AM

Old 03-11-2013, 08:33 AM

1,271 posts, read 3,230,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EBWick View Post
If commute is your only consideration, I'd agree. I personally don't like how crowded that whole Fort Lee/Pal Park/Leonia area of B.C. is. Either way, the commuter is going to have to get into the city first and then take a transfer bus or subway to his place of employment. You can get to that part of Manhattan from Penn by the 1 train IIRC.
You're now talking two train transfers (at Secaucus Junction and at Penn Station) and an hour-and-a-half commute from Rutherford. Sounds like a terrible idea to me. Whereas from Fort Lee the commute as described is about forty minutes, add another ten minutes if you're coming from a town near Fort Lee.

Old 03-11-2013, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrownstoneNY View Post
You're now talking two train transfers (at Secaucus Junction and at Penn Station) and an hour-and-a-half commute from Rutherford. Sounds like a terrible idea to me. Whereas from Fort Lee the commute as described is about forty minutes, add another ten minutes if you're coming from a town near Fort Lee.
It's about 30-35 mins to Penn & another 20 to Columbia if you plan it right. Not sure where you're getting an hour and a half.

And Fort Lee is sort of like NYC living...as in Queens, NY. Couldn't pay me to live there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey