Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2013, 08:17 PM

1,041 posts, read 3,007,635 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kthnry View Post
Don't forget the 2010 case in Summit where the high-school kids beat a Salvadoran dishwasher to death, recorded the attack, and sent the video to their friends. Haven't seen anything like that in Maplewood.
Its real simple....

Black/hispanic kids hanging out at pizza shop = planning their next act of criminal mischief
White kids hanging out at pizza shop = post school snack while they get ready to study

I took a few sociology classes in college (Engineering major). Learned a lot in that class, about "white privilege". Matter of fact, in that class, i had to read a book and write a REALLY long paper about an incident that happened in Glen Ridge? Maybe Glen Rock? Rich white kids that played football raped a mentally disabled girl that lived down the street from them. You'll never hear folks from that town bring that up during the "Where should I live posts"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2013, 08:35 PM

1,247 posts, read 3,019,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyStarksNJ View Post
Its real simple....

Black/hispanic kids hanging out at pizza shop = planning their next act of criminal mischief
White kids hanging out at pizza shop = post school snack while they get ready to study

I took a few sociology classes in college (Engineering major). Learned a lot in that class, about "white privilege". Matter of fact, in that class, i had to read a book and write a REALLY long paper about an incident that happened in Glen Ridge? Maybe Glen Rock? Rich white kids that played football raped a mentally disabled girl that lived down the street from them. You'll never hear folks from that town bring that up during the "Where should I live posts"
That was in Glen Ridge. They actually made a movie about it which they only showed once on Lifetime as far as I know. Most people I know have heard this story, including people I know from Glen Ridge who whine that is what their town is unfortunately known for now.

And I have been in pizzerias full of white kids that are loud, obnoxious and out of control.

Old 03-14-2013, 09:11 PM

18,433 posts, read 15,192,339 times
Quote:

If I ever decide to move to a lilly-white, homogenous, wealthy Republican town where everybody works on Wall Street and there are two fur shops downtown, Millburn will be on the top of my list, since I do love the pizza at La Strada.
Millburn is far from a "Republican" town. Where is that coming from? It is too late at night for me to start looking things up, but I would bet my car that there are more democrats in Millburn than republicans.

Old 03-14-2013, 09:22 PM

385 posts, read 1,173,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnesthesiaMD View Post
Millburn is far from a "Republican" town. Where is that coming from? It is too late at night for me to start looking things up, but I would bet my car that there are more democrats in Millburn than republicans.
This is mostly true. Unlike some other wealthy communities, Millburn is mainly Democratic.

Old 03-15-2013, 07:47 AM

386 posts, read 870,175 times
I'm not sure why some are trying to convince themselves and others that South Orange, Maplewood, and Summit are bad areas with bad schools.

Old 03-15-2013, 09:06 AM

168 posts, read 416,902 times
Quote:
Mind sharing where you got those statistics?
Sure. Census 2010.
Quote:
If a family were living in M/SO and paying the famously high taxes (let's say $20,000/year) plus private school tuition (let's say $30,000/year) because they were unhappy with the local public schools, wouldn't it make sense for them to sell and move to Millburn? In fact, how could they justify staying in M/SO?
The reason rich people stay in M/SO is because they can afford a much bigger house than in Millburn. $700K buys you an ugly 3br in Millburn or a mansion in South Orange. If you could send your kids to private school where would you buy?

Old 03-15-2013, 01:45 PM

2,132 posts, read 2,215,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T_Sporano View Post
I'm not sure why some are trying to convince themselves and others that South Orange, Maplewood, and Summit are bad areas with bad schools.
Right??? What's with that?

Old 03-15-2013, 02:21 PM

385 posts, read 1,173,320 times
Quote:
Right??? What's with that?
South Orange and Maplewood are generally two affluent communities with an OK school system.

Old 03-15-2013, 02:29 PM

2,132 posts, read 2,215,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fedus View Post
This is not correct. At the affluent areas of Maplewood/South Orange an average 20% does not send their kids to public elementary. Compare that to the 3% of the South Mountain Millburn area.
Quote:
Sure. Census 2010.
How about a link to the specific place where it says that 20% of people in affluent M/SO neighborhoods send their kids to private school? Thanks.

Quote:
The reason rich people stay in M/SO is because they can afford a much bigger house than in Millburn. $700K buys you an ugly 3br in Millburn or a mansion in South Orange. If you could send your kids to private school where would you buy?
So you're saying that rich people who wouldn't send their kids to ANY public school, including Millburn, choose to live in M/SO because they can get a bigger, nicer house?

I agree that the housing stock is more attractive in M/SO than in Millburn. However, the price difference isn't as great as you're making it out to be and is offset by the higher M/SO property taxes.

Old 03-15-2013, 02:36 PM

12,283 posts, read 35,641,165 times
this thread is the epidome of "first world problems" LOL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey