Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2013, 02:02 PM

10 posts, read 14,848 times

Advertisements

I know its been done hundreds of times, and i've been furiously scouring the forums for info. Anyway, to keep with the rules, here is my info:

Where are you coming from?

Houston TX (but we live outside of town on a fairly large country spread)

Why are you moving?

Work

Where will you be working ? If NYC, what part of NYC?

JC ( On wasington blvd to be exact)

Will you buy or rent?

Rent (My credit got thrashed in the "Great Recession")

What is your budget?

Try to keep around 4k/mo

What kind of place are you looking for ?

Prefer a small house, apartment, needs to be pet friendly

Will anyone (spouse, children, pets) be moving with you ?

Spouse, 12 year old son, 2 large dogs.

Do you need/want good public schools?

Would prefer decent schools. Doesn't need to be private schools, but don't want metal detectors and pat downs.

Briefly describe the kind of neighborhood you'd like to live in
(examples: families with young children, young, mature, artsy, diverse, safe, close-knit, block parties, etc)

Would prefer to live kind of like where we live now. A decent spread, country style living. A non attached garage for my Harley builds, etc. Realistically, I know that isn't an option out there. That being said, needs to be pet friendly, and just have enough of a "burbs" type lifestyle without being overwhelming.

List three things that are important to you in order of importance.(examples: nightlife, outdoor activities, rural/urban, safety, downtown area, charming, new construction, proximity to XYZ, family oriented, easy parking, short commute, etc)

Rural (as possible), family oriented, middle aged families.

Overall, we are mid to late 30's. Mainly my income (~150k/yr) with a boy and two large dogs. Love riding our motorcycles on weekends, BBQs on nice days, and sailing. We met and lived and worked quite awhile in tri-state area (DC/MD/VA). We both have taken and spent many trips into the city (NYC). My brother currently lives and is stationed in Southern Jersy (Marlton), so i've been around the state somewhat. I am a bit worried with my spotty credit from a few years ago (lost my house, some repos etc) that I will have a hard time finding a decent enough place for my family. I am mostly worried about their security, his education, and our dogs (they are family).

I've been doign alot of looking with some of the info I have found already. I don't mind a long commute, as long as its by public transport, as we are only bringing 1 car. No more than 2 hours each way would be acceptable. Thanks for any and all suggestions, hope I have given enough info without going overboard!

Nowell
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2013, 03:55 PM

173 posts, read 657,469 times
Try renting a house in Madison or Morris Plains. Both have train stations and good schools (Madison being on of the best in state). The rental houses in Madison go fast, even at your price range. Contact an agent, and let them notify you when something good comes up.

Old 03-10-2013, 05:21 PM

3,984 posts, read 7,075,803 times
I used to take the #68 bus from Route 18 which runs through East Brunswick and is about 50-55 mins to J.C. depending upon Turnpike traffic. Drops you off at different spots on Columbus and at Newport Center. Check out njtransit.com for details.

East Brunswick has around 50,000 people, lots of shopping on Route 18 and good schools. A very good public library, its own little water park and a dog park. It's 10 minutes from New Brunswick (Rutgers University) which has some fine restaurants. Not as "country" as you might like but not much of that exists within an hour of J.C. anyway. The western part of town still has some farms in it. You're only about 35 minutes from the beaches in Monmouth County which to me is ideal coming from North Jersey where the beaches were 1.5 hours away and the traffic on the Parkway in the summer is killer.

Good luck on your search.

Old 03-11-2013, 06:05 PM

Thanks folks, i'll check those place out.

Also, I meant to add, I am willing to commute 2 hours each way if need be (but that would be my max). My job is pretty flexable, so let me know if that opens up other options!

Old 03-11-2013, 08:17 PM

173 posts, read 657,469 times
Peapack/Gladstone is small, wealthy and rural, and that's where the train line ends. There are two houses for rent there. It's a charming quiet area with lots of nature around. Houses are tricky though, because if you sign a lease, the owner might decide to sell at some point. So not always do you get to renew a lease with house rentals. Do you prefer to rent a single house over an apartment complex? Will you need to walk to the train, or will your wife drop you off at the train station? I would also look for a house rental in Long Hill, Berkeley Heights, and New Providence. All have train stations, they are considered "quiet suburbs", and both Berekley Heights and New Providence have great schools. Not sure about Long Hill.

Old 03-12-2013, 06:44 AM

13,404 posts, read 28,726,919 times
The only stumbling block I see is the two large dogs, many owners and most if not all apt complexes do not allow pets.
There are home rentals out there that will allow pets but it is narrowing down your choices

Old 03-12-2013, 08:25 AM

1,319 posts, read 4,249,104 times
To add onto njkate about dogs. Some if not all of 'luxury' building have some breed/weight restriction on dogs and even non-luxury buildings typically have pet restrictions. Also some buildings charge pet fee so keep that in mind.

If you have breeds that's flagged as 'aggressive', 'barker', or 'large size' dogs, it'll be harder to find an apartment you can rent. So before you go see an apartment, let them know you have two dogs and what breed/weight they are. It'll save you time, rather than going on-site to see then finding out they don't allow your pets.

Edit: Oh and as wierd as it is, ask if they include water & sewer or if it's separate. Some management companies in JC have this shady (in my opinion) practice of having renter pay for water & sewer separately. So rental price looks lower than it actually is. For example, if an apartment says 3000 for 2 bedroom and management company have u pay for water/sewer. It could be extra 100-150 bucks per month. I think equity apartments and avalon does this in JC.

Old 03-12-2013, 10:18 AM

Thanks guys, I will look in those locations. I know one of my breeds is probably on the list, shes an Akita. While not on the "bark" list, im sure she makes all the other lists, hence the reason I thought a house might be the best option. I really can't see getting rid of my dogs, but this is a great opportunity for the job as well. Guess I should look into the weekly flight options just in case!

Old 03-12-2013, 10:21 AM

12,283 posts, read 35,688,247 times
TOTALLY OT - but I'm laughing that the OP, who just joined, is considered an "original poster" but me, who's been on this godforsaken site for 6 years, isn't. LOL I'm sure they are working the kinks out.

Old 03-12-2013, 10:25 AM

13,404 posts, read 28,726,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by USMC_Nowell View Post
Thanks guys, I will look in those locations. I know one of my breeds is probably on the list, shes an Akita. While not on the "bark" list, im sure she makes all the other lists, hence the reason I thought a house might be the best option. I really can't see getting rid of my dogs, but this is a great opportunity for the job as well. Guess I should look into the weekly flight options just in case!
Unfortunately when it comes to renting & pets, it's not to pet friendly in NJ

It may also come down to the actual owners liability should the tenants dog bite some one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey