U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2013, 08:10 AM

208 posts, read 145,384 times
Default Plainfield thoughts?

We saw a listing of a house in plainfield NJ. It says its in the sleepy hollow section.

How are the schools etc there?

Just curious. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2013, 08:12 AM

1,611 posts, read 3,624,202 times
Plainfield is terrible. Lots of crime and the schools are awful. Certainly in the top 10 worst cities in NJ. Don't even remotely consider it.

Old 03-11-2013, 08:31 AM

5,263 posts, read 4,686,705 times
The Sleepy Hollow section of Plainfield is very nice, but--unfortunately--it is fairly close to the worst, most crime-ridden areas of Plainfield.

Yes, you can get, "more house for your money", in Sleepy Hollow, but...at what ultimate price?
When the bank robber, Willy Sutton, was asked why he robbed banks, his answer was, "Because that's where the money is".
When one of the less-honorable residents of Plainfield wants to burglarize a house, he is likely to seek one of the homes in Sleepy Hollow, simply because...that is where the money is.

As to the schools, there are few school systems that are as bad as Plainfield's schools are.

My best advice is...don't even think about it.

Old 03-11-2013, 08:34 AM

208 posts, read 145,384 times
Thanks. I thought so but wanted to be sure... The house was absolutely gorgeous but with all the crap that we have -- it's just asking for trouble.

Old 03-11-2013, 10:11 AM

335 posts, read 232,751 times
Only move there if you are considering private school

Old 03-11-2013, 01:50 PM

1,611 posts, read 3,624,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 908Boi View Post
Only move there if you are considering private school
I completely disagree. What's the point of owning a home in an area where you have a high risk of being a crime victim? I wouldn't move there even if I didn't have kids.

Old 03-11-2013, 04:33 PM

39 posts, read 39,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducmonster1221 View Post
We saw a listing of a house in plainfield NJ. It says its in the sleepy hollow section.

How are the schools etc there?

Just curious. Thanks!
Drive through Plainfield and see for yourself. I've driven through much worse places, never more than once. None of them would I consider living in in a million years. You could not pay me enough to live there.

It's too bad, b/c Plainfield was once a very nice community, how did it get to be where it is now?

For all the other posters here, does any of the crime and elements that go along with it, spill over into Scotch Plains, Fanwood, or other communities nearby?

Old 03-11-2013, 05:26 PM

335 posts, read 232,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ansky View Post
I completely disagree. What's the point of owning a home in an area where you have a high risk of being a crime victim? I wouldn't move there even if I didn't have kids.
I'm just giving them my thoughts. I have roots in Plainfield (not that section however). My sister's best friend grew up in Plainfield and went to private school and their neighborhood was very safe

Old 03-11-2013, 09:50 PM

3,566 posts, read 5,358,957 times
Actually there are very stately large residential homes all throughout Plainfield. You would be surprised. Some birder and are surrounded by very nice suburban areas, golf clubs, etc.

Old 03-12-2013, 04:18 AM

5,263 posts, read 4,686,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by captne76 View Post
Actually there are very stately large residential homes all throughout Plainfield. You would be surprised. Some birder and are surrounded by very nice suburban areas, golf clubs, etc.

Even if somebody is a birder, surely there are safer places to live than Plainfield.

On another site, I found the following statistics, which should give the OP pause:

The city violent crime rate for Plainfield in 2010 was higher than the national violent crime rate average by 160.76% and the city property crime rate in Plainfield was higher than the national property crime rate average by 5.8%.

In 2010 the city violent crime rate in Plainfield was higher than the
violent crime rate in New Jersey by 242.04% and the city property crime rate in Plainfield was higher than the property crime rate in New Jersey by 49.5%.

Last edited by Retriever; 03-12-2013 at 04:38 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey