U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2013, 09:38 AM

7,529 posts, read 4,218,861 times

Advertisements

i have had QQ plates for about a dozen years and just use the car for Sunday drives or maybe during thr week after work or stop by a bud's house. Never use it to go to the store or restauramts.

Talked to a cop in Manville as a casual conversation and he hated QQ plates and stopped anyone driving on weekdays and would charge them with insurance fruad. No clue if the court would toss that out or if that charge was institutionalized in that town. I was in my truck when I spoke to him and did not mention I had an 'antique' car or QQ plates. I have had cops drive by otherwise and not one showed any concern. Branchburg police started sponsoring a car show each May and it is good to get known to the locals.

NJ has two types of registratipons...a 'spotsmans or whatever, can't think of the term, registration with a triangle winshield tag and QQ. I am going for that triangle tag when i get my other car on the road. The other tag allows you to use the car normally. Requires an inspection process where you drive a route and they check your speedometer. No inspection with QQ plates.

I use American collectors insurance and have an agreed value policy. Critical to get those exact words, 'agreed value". Whatever you agree with the insurance company your car is worth at the time it is insured is what you get if lost stolen or totaled. Otherwise insurnace companies evaluate your wreck and adjust the price of compensation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2013, 10:45 AM

590 posts, read 684,685 times
Classic and historic plates can be put on a car if it's older then 20, 25 years old. I think that's correct 20 years for classic and 25 for antique, both get QQ plates. I had to go to Trenton DMV years ago to get mine. You can drive your call every day in the summer...why you ask? because every day (or so) in the summer there is a car show you can go to. I have found one every day of the week you just have to look online. If you get pulled over you tell them your going or coming from a car show. With the classic insurance there are stipulations on driving but no one ever looked at my cars odometer. Unless there was an issue maybe it would be looked at, you can drive it after you do repairs on it for a test ride, it can be taken to car shows when ever. There are ways around everything just have to look into it and be careful.

Old 03-12-2013, 05:14 PM

3,026 posts, read 8,032,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kracer View Post
i have had QQ plates for about a dozen years and just use the car for Sunday drives or maybe during thr week after work or stop by a bud's house. Never use it to go to the store or restauramts.

Talked to a cop in Manville as a casual conversation and he hated QQ plates and stopped anyone driving on weekdays and would charge them with insurance fruad. No clue if the court would toss that out or if that charge was institutionalized in that town. I was in my truck when I spoke to him and did not mention I had an 'antique' car or QQ plates. I have had cops drive by otherwise and not one showed any concern. Branchburg police started sponsoring a car show each May and it is good to get known to the locals.

NJ has two types of registratipons...a 'spotsmans or whatever, can't think of the term, registration with a triangle winshield tag and QQ. I am going for that triangle tag when i get my other car on the road. The other tag allows you to use the car normally. Requires an inspection process where you drive a route and they check your speedometer. No inspection with QQ plates.

I use American collectors insurance and have an agreed value policy. Critical to get those exact words, 'agreed value". Whatever you agree with the insurance company your car is worth at the time it is insured is what you get if lost stolen or totaled. Otherwise insurnace companies evaluate your wreck and adjust the price of compensation.
The Police Officer charged them with insurance fraud? Really!

Old 03-12-2013, 06:41 PM

7,529 posts, read 4,218,861 times
That is what the officer told me.

He had a personal issue that he has to pay full insurance rates on his cars while someone with QQ plates gets awy with paying less. So if he sees a QQ plate during rush hour on a week day and the guy is going to work, he would write a summons for insurance fraud. Don't imagine he would write it if the judge would toss it out or the prosecutor discouraged it. Who knows if he ever wrote a summons.

Figure with all the obscure and feelgood laws on the books, we are all open to subjective law enforcement at anytime in any jurisdiction.

Sometimes a sketchy ticket is issued as a bluff, figuring you will just pay it and not go to court. Beat two tickets like that. Judge had a quizzical look and asked, 'why did you issue this ticket?", before he dismissed the case.

Vette harassment was alive and well years ago but now it seems, especially with the older cars, I get thumbs up from cops. My, how the times have changed.

Some state allow older cars to use the old style plates that were issued when the car was new. Can't recall when NJ went to the beige and black plates from the old black and orange?

Old 03-12-2013, 08:21 PM

5,191 posts, read 6,549,284 times
Quote:

He had a personal issue that he has to pay full insurance rates on his cars while someone with QQ plates gets awy with paying less. So if he sees a QQ plate during rush hour on a week day and the guy is going to work, he would write a summons for insurance fraud. Don't imagine he would write it if the judge would toss it out or the prosecutor discouraged it. Who knows if he ever wrote a summons.

Figure with all the obscure and feelgood laws on the books, we are all open to subjective law enforcement at anytime in any jurisdiction.

Sometimes a sketchy ticket is issued as a bluff, figuring you will just pay it and not go to court. Beat two tickets like that. Judge had a quizzical look and asked, 'why did you issue this ticket?", before he dismissed the case.

Vette harassment was alive and well years ago but now it seems, especially with the older cars, I get thumbs up from cops. My, how the times have changed.

Some state allow older cars to use the old style plates that were issued when the car was new. Can't recall when NJ went to the beige and black plates from the old black and orange?
I still have personalized NY plates from 1975 and thinking about putting them on just for the car shows.

Old 03-12-2013, 08:30 PM

3,026 posts, read 8,032,229 times
Quote:

There is no charge in title 39 for insurance fraud.

Old 03-12-2013, 08:34 PM

3,854 posts, read 2,729,177 times
I saw like an '83 Camaro on the GSP the other day with "classic car" plates on it. WTH?

Old 03-12-2013, 09:36 PM

1,395 posts, read 2,063,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by exhdo1 View Post
There is no charge in title 39 for insurance fraud.

Old 03-13-2013, 07:39 AM

62 posts, read 91,764 times
Quote:

He had a personal issue that he has to pay full insurance rates on his cars while someone with QQ plates gets awy with paying less...
it's too bad he's misinformed. i've had american collectors insurance on my 911 with both regular and qq plates. the insurance company didn't care what kind of plates i had, just that it was not a daily driver.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EBWick View Post
I saw like an '83 Camaro on the GSP the other day with "classic car" plates on it. WTH?
anything over 25 years old can potentially qualify. so you could get historic plates on a pontiac fiero.

Old 03-13-2013, 10:22 AM

2,837 posts, read 4,659,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by turtleroger View Post
anything over 25 years old can potentially qualify. so you could get historic plates on a pontiac fiero.
A lot of 4x4 guys get QQs on 25+ year old trucks so that they can lift them without having to go through high rise inspection, not to mention all of the emissions garbage. I'll be getting a set for my 1991 Toyota Pickup once it's eligible.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey