Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2013, 07:23 PM

88,584 posts, read 84,795,337 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaverickDD View Post
Head away from New York. As you get closer to the City, the prices go up. Why pay for City proximity when you don't need it? Hence, IMO... top three choices:
  1. Kinnelon is choice. Morris County, best schools... even during rush hour, Franklin Lakes is less than 20 minutes by car. Very hilly though. Not the place to be if you like the flatlands.
  2. Yes, Oakland is a great choice. It's still in Bergen County, where taxes aren't as bad as suburban Passaic County. Also very good schools. Very close to the job.
  3. Ringwood is fine, but beware the taxes. (It's Passaic County.) Also very hilly.
A peculiar issue that you may have yet to discover — you'll find different real estate agents specializing in each area. NJ real estate brokerage is highly territorial, IMO.
Kinnelon is Route-23-centric.
Ringwood is 'Highlands.'
Oakland is Route-208-centric.

Good luck!
I disagree with No. 2. Taxes in Bergen County not as high as suburban Passaic? That sounded really wrong, so I went and looked up a few BC towns and a few PC towns, and the Bergen County towns were higher, but not as much higher as I would have thought. But, using towns you mention, Oakland's median taxes are higher than Ringwood's.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2013, 07:22 AM

1,548 posts, read 4,315,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I disagree with No. 2. Taxes in Bergen County not as high as suburban Passaic? That sounded really wrong, so I went and looked up a few BC towns and a few PC towns, and the Bergen County towns were higher, but not as much higher as I would have thought. But, using towns you mention, Oakland's median taxes are higher than Ringwood's.
Your point is well-taken. There are many ways to measure, and they don't give the same result. I haven't researched Oakland's or Ringwood's median tax bill. I'll trust your work.

Bergen and Passaic Counties are both 'regulars' in the list of the nation's ten highest property taxers. If looking at average overall tax bills, I concede your point – Bergen is higher. (And though irrelevant to this thread, I was surprised to see that Hunterdon is even worse!) Passaic County makes top 10 tax list - NorthJersey.com

However, when analyzing property tax bills compared to properties' underlying market values, Passaic County is about 10% higher than Bergen — meaning that the tax on a half-million dollar home in Passaic County will be about 10% more than a half-million dollar home in Bergen County — although of course, when comparing specific houses we'll find anomalies where the exact opposite may be true because valuation is subjective. Passaic County's average tax bill is about 1.9% of property value compared to Bergen's 1.7%, as shown in the business insider article link: This Is The County With America's Highest Property Tax - Business Insider (This link lets you scroll through the costliest 25 counties in the nation.) Some counties exceed 2%!

Also, Passaic County takes the prize for 'highest percent of income' paid in property taxes. Who Pays America's Highest Property Taxes? - Yahoo! Finance

Regardless of how it's diced and sliced, it's clear that property taxes are very high in New Jersey. Here's an interesting post/thread from this forum about one year ago (to date): Why Does NJ have the highest Taxes in the Nation? The property tax bill that will matter most to OP is the one on the house they'll contemplate buying – whether it be in Bergen, Passaic, or Morris.

Old 04-22-2013, 10:38 AM

88,584 posts, read 84,795,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaverickDD View Post
Your point is well-taken. There are many ways to measure, and they don't give the same result. I haven't researched Oakland's or Ringwood's median tax bill. I'll trust your work.

Bergen and Passaic Counties are both 'regulars' in the list of the nation's ten highest property taxers. If looking at average overall tax bills, I concede your point – Bergen is higher. (And though irrelevant to this thread, I was surprised to see that Hunterdon is even worse!) Passaic County makes top 10 tax list - NorthJersey.com

However, when analyzing property tax bills compared to properties' underlying market values, Passaic County is about 10% higher than Bergen — meaning that the tax on a half-million dollar home in Passaic County will be about 10% more than a half-million dollar home in Bergen County — although of course, when comparing specific houses we'll find anomalies where the exact opposite may be true because valuation is subjective. Passaic County's average tax bill is about 1.9% of property value compared to Bergen's 1.7%, as shown in the business insider article link: This Is The County With America's Highest Property Tax - Business Insider (This link lets you scroll through the costliest 25 counties in the nation.) Some counties exceed 2%!

Also, Passaic County takes the prize for 'highest percent of income' paid in property taxes. Who Pays America's Highest Property Taxes? - Yahoo! Finance

Regardless of how it's diced and sliced, it's clear that property taxes are very high in New Jersey. Here's an interesting post/thread from this forum about one year ago (to date): Why Does NJ have the highest Taxes in the Nation? The property tax bill that will matter most to OP is the one on the house they'll contemplate buying – whether it be in Bergen, Passaic, or Morris.

And the last sentence is what it all boils down to!

FYI, I got the tax info from...City-Data!

Old 05-08-2013, 08:20 AM

25 posts, read 44,454 times
I am new to forums, so I am not sure if I am supposed to do this, but this is a new thread I started about the continuing search:
West Milford vs Pequannock
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey