Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-25-2013, 04:05 PM

9 posts, read 14,067 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are originally from California but we currently reside in Arkansas. Missing cultural diversity badly! We have family living in New Jersey and are considering moving there as well. I heard Edison is one of the best places there to raise a family. Can anybody tell me about it? I've only started researching the town today but I have yet to read anything negative about it. Is it a good place for young children to grow up?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2013, 07:01 PM

1,247 posts, read 3,024,295 times
Large town, but overall a great area. Yes it is pretty diverse with a large Asian presence. The school system is one of the best in the state and it is pretty central in terms of location to amenities and highways and stuff. My only knock on it is the congestion: it is very very crowded and all built out, with no real open space left to enjoy and the traffic can get horrendous especially during the am and pm rush hours. Other than that Edison is great.

Old 03-25-2013, 10:10 PM

9 posts, read 14,067 times
Are there smaller areas near by that are just as nice? Is it an expensive place to live?

Old 03-25-2013, 10:22 PM

19,119 posts, read 25,316,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nelsonfam View Post
I've only started researching the town today but I have yet to read anything negative about it.

The Edison Police Department has had more scandals in the last few years than most departments in large cities. Yes, the school system is very good, and overall Edison is a decent (albeit congested) place to live, but the police department is a laughing stock as a result of corruption and featherbedding. Just a few days ago, it was reported that the State Attorney General's Office is taking over the PD's Office of Internal Affairs, in order to try to bring some order to this disorderly organization.

Old 03-26-2013, 08:42 AM

143 posts, read 208,403 times
Quote:
My husband and I are originally from California but we currently reside in Arkansas. Missing cultural diversity badly! We have family living in New Jersey and are considering moving there as well. I heard Edison is one of the best places there to raise a family. Can anybody tell me about it? I've only started researching the town today but I have yet to read anything negative about it. Is it a good place for young children to grow up?
Edison is a nice city. Especially if you want to rent for a little bit, which I highly recommend. The Good schools are in North edison (zip code 08820). Its neighbouring town Iselin has good upcoming schools too so is metuchen but not at the level of North Edison yet. I would suggest you rent for a little bit to check out the town.
As far as amenities, everything is less than 4-5 mins away. The neighbourhood is safe, many of my friends live there and they haven't complained about crime.
On the negative side, I heard the high school is slightly crowded and extremely demanding and competetive. Not sure if thats what you want, but many asian parents like it very competetive and challenging for the kids.

Where do you work? Its an easy commute to NYC by train.

Old 03-27-2013, 05:15 AM

Quote:
Are there smaller areas near by that are just as nice? Is it an expensive place to live?
I personally like the Brunswicks (North, South and East) on the south side of the Raritan River. Still pretty diverse though less congested and a lot more spread out, and none are quite as big as Edison and the schools here are excellent too. I've lived in both areas and definitely prefer North Brunswick to Edison.

Old 03-27-2013, 06:49 AM

23,536 posts, read 17,214,216 times
Edison is a good choice.

Not mentioned is that Edison is located within minutes of most major north/south/west major roadways for instant access to diverse areas, meaning the shore, mountains, salt water fishing, fresh water fishing countified or citified places.

What NJ in general offers that is lacking in other states, is the 'instant access to dramatically different environments, often well within an hour's drive.

Edison township, composed of 'sections' like Clara Barton, North Edison, etc is spread out but the nicest sections, mnatter of perception of course. is the area around Amboy or Woodbridge aves near Metuchen, another excellent choice and essentially embedded in Edison township but an independant town.

Don't know where you can even find homogenous culture except in local neighborhood residential enclaves. If you leave home at all, the world and especially NJ, is as culturally and ethnicly diverse as any bleeding heart liberal could ever dream.

A two year community college Middlesex co college is in Edison, Rutgers U is less than 10 minutes away.
Newark airport is about 20 minutes or less away. Want to go salt water fishing..15 minutes down the road to a charter boat. Best trout fishing on one of the largest impoundments, Round Valley Res is 35 minutes away. Metuchen train station runs right into NYC.

Old 03-28-2013, 02:47 AM

3 posts, read 4,029 times
Edison is a great area. My grandmother still lives there after 60 years. Friendly people and a diverse neighborhood. I live in the town over, Highland Park, and it is a cute town. We have a main street in town unlike Edison. If someone eould be commuting to nyc for work I would suggest Edison because they have a train station.

Old 03-28-2013, 06:03 PM

Highland Park is a very expensive area. It has been known for its "bedroom community" status for Rutgers professors for quite some time. Most people use the Albany St. train station in New Brunswick. I have seen many people walking the bridge for years to get that train station. Edison and Metuchen also have their own train stations on the NEC as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey