Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2013, 07:21 PM

30 posts, read 50,552 times

Advertisements

Thinking of re-locating from NY to that new Toll Brothers community in Cream Ridge. Does anyone have any feedback on this town? From my understanding, schools are excellent since they are part of upper freehold.

Small concern I have is its close to Six Flags and the sound and traffic during the summer months. Any feedback is much appreciated.

GSC
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2013, 11:31 AM

256 posts, read 572,753 times
That's on the other side of Six Flags. The traffic (if any with the way SF is these days) would be coming off 195...but I don't think there is much.

That area is kind of rural, it will be a schelp to a supermarket or the mall (not the outlets though which are close). I think the closest major supermarket and big box area would require 195 to 9.

Isn't that Allentown HS? I think that is kind of a mixed bag.

Old 03-26-2013, 01:42 PM

1,171 posts, read 2,681,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScarletKnightJet View Post
That's on the other side of Six Flags. The traffic (if any with the way SF is these days) would be coming off 195...but I don't think there is much.
What is that supposed to mean? Great Adventure (no one originally from NJ that frequents the park calls it Six Flags) has actually cleaned up the place quite nicely over the last few years and good luck going on a nice summer day once school is out and not needing to purchase a flash pass because the lines are ridiculously long. I am a season pass holder (haven't missed a year since it opened in 1974 when I was a toddler) and go frequently (was just there on Sunday) so I know what I'm talking about.

I have friends that live in Jackson and they say the traffic is terrible in the summer around Great Adventure but mostly around the Monmouth road area, which sometimes spills back onto 195 (sometimes backs up all the way to the turnpike) and clears after it passes the park. It shouldn't affect where the OP is considering very much but I would consider living near Great Adventure a perk, not a liability. You'll learn the back roads when you have to navigate around the traffic at times and you'll be fine. Just a minor inconvenience.

Last edited by GoYanks34; 03-26-2013 at 01:51 PM..

Old 03-26-2013, 02:31 PM

I'm not trying to insult the park but it's not exactly a secret that the place doesn't have as many guests as it used to. I was there this summer and there are many less people there than when I was growing up. It's very pricey if you don't have a discount especially for a family. In this economy it's not a good recipe, and lot of people feel the clientele has gotten worse. So with less people = less traffic.

I like Six Flags. But a lot of people don't. In any case, it will have a very minimal effect on the OP as the only place visitors go outside the park are the outlets and the fast food and Wawa along 537.

That whole area is more rural and there are less people and traffic than Jackson closer to Howell and the Route 9 area.

Old 03-26-2013, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScarletKnightJet View Post
I'm not trying to insult the park but it's not exactly a secret that the place doesn't have as many guests as it used to. I was there this summer and there are many less people there than when I was growing up. It's very pricey if you don't have a discount especially for a family. In this economy it's not a good recipe, and lot of people feel the clientele has gotten worse. So with less people = less traffic.

I like Six Flags. But a lot of people don't. In any case, it will have a very minimal effect on the OP as the only place visitors go outside the park are the outlets and the fast food and Wawa along 537.

That whole area is more rural and there are less people and traffic than Jackson closer to Howell and the Route 9 area.
While I completely agree with what you say regarding traffic as it would affect the OP, your assumption about the park and attendance is way off. I too have had great days when attendance was quite manageable (I never go on a weekend unless the weather is going to be crappy (I live near by) or we are getting a flash pass) but they are actually doing quite well, probably due to the economy. Many people cannot afford family vacations as they used to so they stay local and go to the beach, boardwalks and amusement parks. You can get some really great deals (buy 1 get 1 free for all weekdays in the summer on coupons and Coke cans) if you look for them. I don't know anyone who goes to a park and pays full price - they all have coupons you can find at local stores/fast food places and most have online deals now.

I sometimes like to go in the morning on my days off and get there when it opens, go on a coaster or 2 and leave before it gets crazy and then run my errands and such. There were 2 weekdays last year when I actually left the park without going on anything because the crowds were horrendous immediately after opening and I'm not waiting 2+ hours for a coaster I've ridden hundreds of times. That's the first year that ever happened.

Six Flags posts record profits, looks forward to good year - phillyburbs.com: Burlington County Times

Old 03-26-2013, 04:25 PM

What is the consensus about people moving into the area, a younger crowd, old money, new money?

Old 03-26-2013, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoYanks34 View Post
What is that supposed to mean? Great Adventure (no one originally from NJ that frequents the park calls it Six Flags) has actually cleaned up the place quite nicely over the last few years and good luck going on a nice summer day once school is out and not needing to purchase a flash pass because the lines are ridiculously long. I am a season pass holder (haven't missed a year since it opened in 1974 when I was a toddler) and go frequently (was just there on Sunday) so I know what I'm talking about.

I have friends that live in Jackson and they say the traffic is terrible in the summer around Great Adventure but mostly around the Monmouth road area, which sometimes spills back onto 195 (sometimes backs up all the way to the turnpike) and clears after it passes the park. It shouldn't affect where the OP is considering very much but I would consider living near Great Adventure a perk, not a liability. You'll learn the back roads when you have to navigate around the traffic at times and you'll be fine. Just a minor inconvenience.
I see you are in Lakewood, do you hear the park from your house?

Old 03-26-2013, 04:52 PM

I'm glad their profits are up, but they were going bankrupt in 2010. If they are making changes, that is great and hopefully that helps NJ. I still haven't seen many big time delays in that area, traffic wise, though I guess the merge to one lane eastbound right after 195 was always poorly designed.

Whether you will hit that will depend on where you're commuting to.

I doubt you'd hear the park over there. Maybe fireworks.

I would say it's "new money", probably mostly people from Brooklyn, Staten Island, North Jersey, people from other parts closer to shore looking for more space. I would imagine most people are probably 35+. It's not exactly happening nightlife over there, you need 195 to get to most things. The closest downtown is probably Freehold and that's a good 20 minutes, and an eh downtown.

Though you are closer to Philly and Princeton.

Old 03-26-2013, 05:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gscone View Post
I see you are in Lakewood, do you hear the park from your house?
Nope - not even a little bit. I'm literally a few blocks from Brick pretty far from where GAdv is in terms of sound. They stopped doing the fireworks last year and only did them on special occasions (July 4th, Memorial Day, etc). Don't know if they're planning on changing it this year or not. The year or two before (can't remember which one) they only had fireworks on Fri and Sat nights. It takes me anywhere between 20 and 35 minutes to get there, depending on how I hit the traffic lights going up Route 9.

I honestly don't think the park is very noisy at all - it's surrounded by a decent amount of land. The 2 noisiest coasters are Batman (WAY in the back of the park) and Medusa/Bizarro which is surrounded by the safari so I think they have decent sound buffers. I don't hear the coasters until I pull into the entrance and drive up a bit. I've never heard anything from the highway or Monmouth Road either but I've also never driven around to the other side. My friends who live in Jackson complain about the traffic and the "Benny's", never about any noise.

*edit - they live way on the other side of the park from where you'd be so they're more affected by the traffic. It would be primarily the weekends that may be a pain in the butt but like I said - you'll learn how to get around with avoiding that area. It's not that difficult.

Last edited by GoYanks34; 03-26-2013 at 05:24 PM..

Old 03-26-2013, 05:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gscone View Post
What is the consensus about people moving into the area, a younger crowd, old money, new money?
In the area you're talking about I'd say young professionals and families mostly. As far as things to do I think that mostly depends on what you like. I personally like going to concerts (PNC is great in the summer), amusement parks (GAdv), baseball/football games (Yankee Stadium and the Meadowlands), etc. I do think Scarletknight is right in that for any "happening" club scene (which I have outgrown a LONG time ago) you'd probably have to travel but there are always decent local bars in just about any community that are good for a drink or two with a few friends - you just have to ask around. While I'm not familiar with the specific communities you are mentioning, it is considered a nice area to live in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey