Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-28-2013, 09:15 AM

1,604 posts, read 3,884,962 times

Advertisements

Okay, so I'm about to graduate college and will no longer be able to live in both North and South Jersey at once. It currently looks like I'm going to be working in New York City (near the 23rd street PATH Station) What currently is tearing at me is that;

1. If I have to live in North Jersey, I want to live in Newark
2. Finding an apartment in my price range (about $500 per bedroom, so a studio for $500, 2 bed for $1,000 etc. I have have roommates lined up )
3. I don't know if I can deal with not living nearish the beach/having to take a highway (the Parkway at that) to the beach and not being able to go to the beach on weekdays or before/after work
4. I'm thinking about the Rockaways, but don't know anything about them and REALLYY don't want to leave NJ

So basically, what I'm trying to find is a "ghetto by the sea" (I have pretty low standards so long as the buildings isn't infested with something and sound) with a commute that isn't killer (anything over an hour)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2013, 09:37 AM

667 posts, read 1,744,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jknic View Post
Okay, so I'm about to graduate college and will no longer be able to live in both North and South Jersey at once. It currently looks like I'm going to be working in New York City (near the 23rd street PATH Station) What currently is tearing at me is that;

1. If I have to live in North Jersey, I want to live in Newark
2. Finding an apartment in my price range (about $500 per bedroom, so a studio for $500, 2 bed for $1,000 etc. I have have roommates lined up )
3. I don't know if I can deal with not living nearish the beach/having to take a highway (the Parkway at that) to the beach and not being able to go to the beach on weekdays or before/after work
4. I'm thinking about the Rockaways, but don't know anything about them and REALLYY don't want to leave NJ

So basically, what I'm trying to find is a "ghetto by the sea" (I have pretty low standards so long as the buildings isn't infested with something and sound) with a commute that isn't killer (anything over an hour)
I'm not sure I follow. On one end you are graduating from college and are ready to step into the 'real world'. But at the same time you want to be a beach bum? I think we would all have loved a similar option. Maybe doable in parts of California/Florida. Otherwise, live in Newark, perform well at your job so you can move up the ladder to afford better options. $500 even for ghetto rent is not reasonable anywhere close to NYC. You can maybe rent a room for that but a studio/1 br will likely come with the roaches.

Old 03-28-2013, 11:14 AM

4,073 posts, read 8,979,002 times
Tough to fit this wish list. Maybe something around Sayreville?

Old 03-28-2013, 11:41 AM

1,319 posts, read 4,248,798 times
Not gunna get it to fit everything you need. Raise budget or change your criteria.

Old 03-28-2013, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by babo111 View Post
Not gunna get it to fit everything you need. Raise budget or change your criteria.
That's more or less what I figured. I'm also considering around Sheepshead Bay in NYC, but I really don't want to go over the river

Old 03-28-2013, 06:21 PM

1,247 posts, read 3,024,975 times
Newark is spotty throughout, but if you absolutely must live in Newark, I'd say Downtown or the Ironbound. Not sure what the rents go for in those areas though. Would you not consider parts of Jersey City?

Anywhere around Sayreville works, just avoid Winding Wood and Lakeview. Lots of Section 8 residents transported from the Rt 18 projects in New Brunswick that were razed back in the late 1990s. Skytop Gardens is better, but more expensive. Kind of a far drive, and no mass transit.

Look in Woodbridge. Some decent rentals around the downtown area and there is a train station there (North Jersey Coast Line). Also some other nice apartments off Gill Ln near Iselin Metropark (NEC).

Or if you want to go a little further and be closer to the beach, maybe some areas around Middletown might work. I know there is a ferry that runs from that area to NYC, and there are also stations on the North Jersey Coast Line, in both Middletown and Red Bank but not too sure how high the rents are. Red Bank is actually kind of a good option for a kid out of college, but the rent there can be high from what I have heard.

Old 03-28-2013, 07:26 PM

1,319 posts, read 4,248,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HubCityMadMan View Post
Newark is spotty throughout, but if you absolutely must live in Newark, I'd say Downtown or the Ironbound. Not sure what the rents go for in those areas though. Would you not consider parts of Jersey City?
JC > Newark in rent and OP won't be able to find places for what the price range.

Old 03-29-2013, 01:16 AM

12,380 posts, read 26,848,855 times
The Rockaways is an hour from Midtown Manhattan by train which there is none now due to Sandy. The Average Rent in Newark is 900$ for a 1bdr , there are a few new complexes in Downtown and the Ironbound that just opened up and a few more under construction.

Old 03-31-2013, 10:00 AM

I know Newark (I currently dorm there and have for about 5 years) so I'm familiar with the city. My main issues are commuting to work in NYC. I'm also thinking about Sheepshead Bay. I've found a few hits in the 3 bedroom range so far in Jersey City, but no dice yet for Newark. We'd really like to be able to stay and be a part of repairing the city.

Old 03-31-2013, 11:12 AM

12,380 posts, read 26,848,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jknic View Post
I know Newark (I currently dorm there and have for about 5 years) so I'm familiar with the city. My main issues are commuting to work in NYC. I'm also thinking about Sheepshead Bay. I've found a few hits in the 3 bedroom range so far in Jersey City, but no dice yet for Newark. We'd really like to be able to stay and be a part of repairing the city.
Well anywhere near the Water or in Zone A i would not buy or rent in due to the extensive amount of damage caused by Sandy.... Between that and the almost 80 minute commute to Midtown its one of the reasons rent is cheap.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey