U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2009, 02:03 PM

6,183 posts, read 2,393,787 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJmmadude View Post
Did you just paint people with a broad brush about painting people with a broad brush? I think you just stereotyped stereotyping with a stereotype about a stereotype. Seriously.

It's like putting a car in your car so you can drive while you drive.

(blinks eyes)

You just opened a black hole in the universe of logic. Man, you're gonna spaghettify us all.
Hey, don't stereotype him...

[/bad joke]
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2010, 01:19 AM

9 posts, read 16,294 times
North Ward-Broadway-Forest Hill-Mount Pleasant-Roseville-Seventh AvenueSouth Ward-Clinton Hill-Dayton-South Broad Valley-WeequahicCentral Ward-The Coast/Lincoln Park-Government Center-Springfield/Belmont-University HeightsEast Ward-Five Corners-The Ironbound-DowntownWest Ward-Fairmount-Ivy Hill-Vailsburg-West SideCan any of you name da crappy nieghborhoods in newark of course wikipedia lies nd says their all gud

Old 07-29-2011, 06:37 AM

1 posts, read 1,891 times
Hello everyone, i want to know if 1st street between dickerson and central avenue is considered as part of university heights. Also how would you rate this neighborhood

Old 07-29-2011, 08:45 AM

313 posts, read 257,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JERSEY MAN View Post
All of them.
Exactly, even if you go on Broad & Market, according to my roommate there's a lot of crazy stuff that these crooks do and the police get involved.

Old 07-29-2011, 08:49 AM

313 posts, read 257,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arktrist View Post
North Ward-Broadway-Forest Hill-Mount Pleasant-Roseville-Seventh AvenueSouth Ward-Clinton Hill-Dayton-South Broad Valley-WeequahicCentral Ward-The Coast/Lincoln Park-Government Center-Springfield/Belmont-University HeightsEast Ward-Five Corners-The Ironbound-DowntownWest Ward-Fairmount-Ivy Hill-Vailsburg-West SideCan any of you name da crappy nieghborhoods in newark of course wikipedia lies nd says their all gud
I haven't really read about how good Wikipedia thinks Newark is, but while I tend to go to the UMDNJ over there for appointments several times a year, I would never feel comfortable in an area full of disrespectful and stupid people who wants us to believe their point about things in general. In Newark's case, it's the entire city. I hate going there.

Old 05-16-2012, 12:35 AM

4 posts, read 3,417 times
Some people are a little ridiculous with their exaggerations and made-up stories. Newark can be very scary late at night in the hood looking for drugs. Is that what you people were doing? Or is it that you are scared suburbanites, weary of minorities. I live and work in Newark and have never had a problem. Newark does have issues, as does every other major city, but let's not get out hand here people. What makes these places so scary to some people? LMAO @ "I barely got out alive!"

Old 05-16-2012, 08:34 AM

17 posts, read 38,160 times
I agree with DAT, that when newark is brought up on these forums that race is usually an issue as to people not wanting to live there and give it bad vibes. And I am White. Of course you also have reasonable reasons, depending whether you have a kid the schools aren't the best at all, however Ann Street elementary school in the Ironbound is one of the top ranked in essex county. I went there myself, it is an excellent school. As far as the high schools (public), East Side is still the best, but its not that great. See, most middle class residents in the ironbound send their kids to private schools so they bring alot of problem children who were kicked out of other schools in the city to east side to make up for that population loss. Once again, I went there, I know. I am newark born and break, and Love it here. I will probably never leave the city. If I do it would be to a close suburb thats close enough to newark, for family reasons and the proximity to the downtown area where most of my work is. Maybe Harrison, kearny, noth arlington, belleville or bloomfield, south orange, or the Upper Vailsburg section of newark which is still pretty suburban, its on the city edge and seperated by the parkway from the rest of newark. Sure, newark has a high crime rate, its no secret, but NYC was one of the most dangerous places in the 1970s, now its the safest big city - but back then, there were still decent neighborhoods in nyc! The point I am making is sure, of course there are good neighborhoods in newark, there are wonderfully beautiful neighborhoods in newark, with tree lined streets and the whole nine. It depends on what type of neighborhood you are looking for, what your price range is, etc. For example, Forrest Hills is a neighborhood in the North Ward which is pretty affluent, some blocks you need to be a millionare to own property, but it has middle class homes as well and they have decent sized back yards and driveways, you could forget for a minute that you are in the city. Its pretty suburban, and diverse - formerly all italians and rich doctors, still rich doctors and lawyers, and still italians, with an influx of middle class peurto ricans and cubans and some jews. The Ironbound is a very safe and diverse neighborhood, but is much more urban. There you will see more row houses, small back yards (if any, some buildings are back to back), and is also very industrial, so you cannot be bothered by factories - both in use and abandoned. It is thriving when it comes to its culture - great cuisine from all over the world, the night life. The weequahic area has decent sized homes yet does hold a high crime rate, but it has been going down since cory booker took over. The two worst areas would probably be central avenue going west once you past 2nd street all of the way to the east orange border, that is locally nicknamed 'baghdad' and is pretty grimey. I have alot of friends in the area and there are always breakins and shootings over there. The other area to avoid, if you had a choice, would be the West Side neighborhood - the western most part BEFORE You hit vailsburg. They are cleaning up crime there too, but have alot of work to do. This is the reason there is some crime in lower vailsburg, since it borders west side and is seperated only by a park. Being that vailsburg is a Middle Class black neighborhood, criminals from other areas see it as an easy target for robberies, etc. Upper Vailsburg is nicer than Lower vailsburg, i guess id say west side is poor/impoverished, lower vailsburg is blue collar and upper vailsburg is middle class. Vailsburg as a whole is known for its tree lined streets and big houses and properties. IT is predominately Black, and it IS Middle Class for the most part, so I have driven fellow white friends who tried to tell me things like 'anywhere its all black its ghetto' and it quickly teaches them something. Another place id drive them through are towns like roselle, which are predominately black and are not at all hoods. The worst area of newark Pre 1990 was the whole area up springfield avenue, that was back when all of the projects were standing. Prince street, high street, mercer street, etc. That area has seen MUCH improvement, more businesses moving in and new construction. The 'High Street District' runs along MLK BLVD (Formerly High Street) From Market Street to Clinton Ave, and is full of historic structures waiting to be fixed up, some already in progress. University Heights is a very save and nice area, also urban, but is mainly college students so very noisy at night time. hope this helps.

Old 05-16-2012, 08:57 AM

1,486 posts, read 999,321 times
Thanks BrickCityIrishMick for an interesting and balanced view. You seem to know the city well.

Old 06-06-2012, 01:40 PM

1 posts, read 1,442 times
the west ward and central ward are the baddest neighborhoods in newark

Old 09-20-2013, 07:42 PM

271 posts, read 170,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by apvbguy View Post
yeah we're all racists, the 300k people who left newark since the riots are all racists. Face it, the town is dangerous, it is full of prostitutes, drug addicts, car jackers and every other kind of criminal. You might be comfortable in those surroundings, most people are not.
I and most others will steer clear of the place, and some fools will try and make a go of it.
I won't call you a criminal because you like living with the criminals that infest the town, please don't try and cast me as a racist because I chose to stay away from crime ridden ghettos

Newark peaked in population at 438k and is currently just under 300k after 50 years of population loss which means a lot of people but not nearly how you depict it to be. also to say its full of prostitutes and other unsavory characters also displays the fact that you haven't explored the city because reading about the city and being in and apart of the city is two different ball games ... residents and people around the city would most say weequahic and vailsburg are the worst neighborhoods which if the op is serious about research they would know most American ghettos exists further away from the downtown core and these two neighborhoods are the furthest from downtown ...

i wonder how many prostitutes go to Rutgers or how many muggers work at prudential or Panasonic. do you have census figures on how many people in the forest hill historic district are low lives? it seems as though you must have felt actual research was dangerous too...

ps i moved to Newark from Bergen county and i love every second of it and have convinced other to move to ... i **** on your agenda every day Newark hater
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey