Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2007, 08:22 PM

2 posts, read 11,715 times

Advertisements

hi, we're very new to the north eastern area and are trying to get a feel for where to reside. my husband will be commuting to NYC~ brooklyn and queens area. we were thinking of moving to carteret, nj or a surrounding town. we will be renting maybe around Abbi road if in carteret, nj. any suggestions~ places to avoid~ places to rent/ apt. complexes? thanks so much!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2007, 10:03 AM

43 posts, read 209,336 times
Carteret is another one of these "up and coming" situations. You can tell by the new condominiums theyre building that there is a desire for them to clean up the image of the town. I had college friends who grew up there, and while its not the best place to raise kids - its not Newark and certainly will be a good commute to the city.

Old 11-02-2007, 03:33 PM

18 posts, read 57,484 times
Cateret is really not pretty tho. really unattractive.

Old 11-03-2007, 08:13 AM

1 posts, read 5,847 times
Default Carteret is a gamble

Right now, I'd have to say that Carteret is a "hit or miss" situation. Carteret certainly has it's nice neighborhoods - middle class, working families who cut their lawns and drive Fords. There is new housing going up in the industrial areas of town (Condos, townhouses), and the town provides many activities from sports to concerts, etc. The main park is relatively clean and has been rennovated. Most of the neighborhoods are clean, and traffic/the commute isn't bad in the morning.
Buuuuuuuuuuuuuuut...... The demographic in Carteret has changed quite a bit in the last 5 years, and there are more "family first"-type people shopping at the shoprite, walking in the street to go to school (instead of using the sidewalk) and driving around blasting hip hop music - And this is in the main parts of town, not just the "Chrome" area. I can't speak about the schools, my kids are adults.
I don't think anyone can say with any certainty which way Carteret is going to go over the next 5 years - it can go either way. If the poor people who don't work and like to live on dirty streets continue to grow in numbers, Carteret will take a dive. Who will buy these townhouses and condos around the Chrome section? In this market, this could prove to be Carteret's downfall. On the other hand, if working people do buy, and the prices of homes/rents remain somewhat stable, maybe the drug dealers and their extended family members will be squeezed out of Carteret and we'll become the next Hoboken. Who knows.....
I'm glad I don't have to make that decision right now.

Old 11-04-2007, 06:04 PM

2 posts, read 11,715 times
Default thank you!

Thank you for your responses!

Old 11-04-2007, 10:25 PM

1,289 posts, read 6,096,057 times
As long as you stay away from the Chrome section of Carteret, you should be fine. I have lots of clients that lived or currently live there and say that they enjoy it. It just had a bad rap because of the view from the Turnpike but there are lots of nice areas there.

Old 05-04-2008, 01:40 AM
cj1

15 posts, read 71,024 times
WilsonfromCarteret,
Did you say there are drug dealers in Cateret?
How bad is it especially when compared to other surrounding towns?

Old 11-06-2008, 08:51 AM

1 posts, read 4,941 times
I have 2 apartments for rent in Carteret on Randolph St. a 2 / 3 bedrooms. I have also lived here for the past 20 years. Its not the best but its good, quiet. Schools are good, again not great. I also travel everyday from Carteret to Newark the traffic on the NJTPK is hit or miss. Most days not a bad commute about 25 minutes. Good Luck. If you are interested in the apartments email [email]sunoco73@yahoo.com[/email]

Old 11-06-2008, 09:36 AM

3 posts, read 11,431 times
I lived in Carteret for the past few years till I FINALLY got out of there last month! My husband and I have a new baby and we were all constantly woken up late at night by the young kids blasting their music as they drive around. There are always shady looking people walking around that town, & although they are making an effort to clean it up- right now I don't think it's a nice place to move. Give Carteret a few years for them to finish the Turnpike and finish building the condos and cleaning up Chrome, and then I'd say go for it!

Old 12-10-2008, 03:21 PM

2 posts, read 5,895 times
To answer to ALL.. First off, Drug Dealers seem to be all over Carteret. More in Carteret then any other area I know of and Done always in the open Day Light with out cause! Taking a child to the park is a joke since most of the drugs seem to be done out in the open in the Park. Second Off as for the Park CLEAN?? When and Where? Haven't seen one yet! They look nice but taken a better look, There are drugs and broken bottles all over the place. Park works sitting on their Ass ( better yet laying down on the job on the park's picnic tables) doing nothing but adding to the mess themselves and I have videos to prove. Best of all most Drug active is taken place in the park in the open without care of who see's what and NEVER is there a Cop to be found! When calling to the Mayor's office your also told " If you don't like it then MOVE!!" As for Gang's there seems to be a growing Number of Gangs moving into Carteret and run the main streets that they claim they are trying to clean up and new business' still can't keep their doors open due to this. Gangs prior to this Mayor where NONE. OPEN drug active taking Places in Parks and on Street, prior to this Mayor where also NONE!! As for things to do in town, also NONE. NO skating, no movies, no ice rink, bottom line NO Nothing for anyone or KID!! As for School, they were voted the worst too!! Believe what you would like, but Newark came in on top next to Carteret. You'd be scared to send a Pit Bull to school there. As for Taxes for what the town has or gives, the Taxes are way to high on Old run down homes that poor people couldn't keep up with and no matter what Up and Coming Carteret may think it's going to be, most likely it won't, due to the never ending pocket bleeding the Mayor has been doing to the tax payers of the town. Carteret can't provide a better life. If you need to move and have to be close to the city your best beet is Bergen County or Hudson County.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey