Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-15-2013, 03:32 PM

2 posts, read 1,677 times

Advertisements

Hello guys, I currently live in the UK in europe, Im curious to know what kind of difficulties i would encounter in moving to NJ under my situation, Im 24 years old and I dont have many qualifications, although my english is perfect and i have excellent computing skills and im a good writer and talker, what kind of jobs would I have the possibility of getting providing I get a visa to live there?
and how is it to integrate into NJ life?

thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2013, 09:34 PM

13 posts, read 27,227 times
Hi Santos23: I moved here from England quite a few years ago but it was easier back then. My uncle was an American citizen and we went to the American Embassy in London and got green cards and SS#'s and over we came. My father wanted a better quality of life because of the bad recession in England at the time. If you can get a work visa, NJ is one of the most active places to live work-wise albeit one of the most expensive. I know quite a few British people who worked in the computer field and came in on work visa's for ADP in Clifton. U.S./NJ is definitely the place of opportunity no matter what your field--if you have the will, you can find your way. There are stories of people who move here saying that they are educated, possibly physicians or pharmacists, who resort to waiting tables or working in construction when they first arrive but work their way back up. Obviously, you feel the need to move for one reason or another. NJ is quite a diverse culture-- people from all walks of life and other countries. My English friends who visit find it rather overwhelming and wonder how everybody fits in to a particular culture--but that is what makes it so interesting if you are prepared to rub shoulders with many different cultures. Obviously, moving here without a work visa would be difficult because you can't take a job that could go to an American; however, if you can get a teaching job in the computer industry (or similar) and come here under that premise, it may work out and you can see if you like it. I know many who do and want to stay longer and try to get their visas extended. Writing as a stringer for a newspaper or writing blogging/sports with a Anglo spin. Living directly west of New York gives you direct access by bus or train to Manhattan with in a one half hour where work could be also be available. I work in Montclair, NJ, as a real estate agent finding suitable housing or rentals which is very rewarding. The Montclair area in Essex county is just one of the areas to integrate easily in to the metropolitan area. It has an Anglophile presence plus quite a few pubs (Irish) and English goods shops. Good luck with your new adventure.

Old 04-16-2013, 11:28 AM

2 posts, read 1,677 times
thanks very much!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey