Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2007, 09:31 PM

8 posts, read 32,462 times

Advertisements

Does anyone have any information about living or vacationing in Villas, NJ? The prices of homes seem fairly reasonable considering it is close to the beach and to the popular resort, Cape May, which is much more expensive. Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2007, 05:44 PM

1,118 posts, read 4,756,527 times
http://www.city-data.com/forum/new-j...tml#post271709

Old 01-13-2007, 07:07 PM

103 posts, read 187,963 times
It's a slum. Be careful.

Old 01-13-2007, 07:18 PM

1,118 posts, read 4,756,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ngwira View Post
It's a slum. Be careful.
That's changing fast - it's amazing. As surrounding towns are becoming more expensive, people are buying these little houses to use as vacation homes. I checked the real estate stats - 87 houses have been sold in the Villas since July '06. That's major for that little town!

Old 01-20-2007, 07:27 PM

229 posts, read 232,412 times
Red face Villas...ehhh it'll do

Elizabeth...

Well...the Villas is comprised of very small houses on very small pieces of land for the most part. In recent years the local folks with a little money to spare have been scooping them up and renting them out for ridiculous amounts of money. The schools are not rated the best there and there are little gangs at the high school. There are nicer places to live in south jersey for sure. But... If you do not mind being able to pass a bag of sugar from one end of your street to the other from inside the houses reaching out the windows it could be ok for you ... as long as there are no school aged kids involved.

[+] Rate this post positively

Old 01-21-2007, 03:47 PM

8 posts, read 32,462 times
Default Villas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taboo View Post
Elizabeth...

Well...the Villas is comprised of very small houses on very small pieces of land for the most part. In recent years the local folks with a little money to spare have been scooping them up and renting them out for ridiculous amounts of money. The schools are not rated the best there and there are little gangs at the high school. There are nicer places to live in south jersey for sure. But... If you do not mind being able to pass a bag of sugar from one end of your street to the other from inside the houses reaching out the windows it could be ok for you ... as long as there are no school aged kids involved.

[+] Rate this post positively
Thanks for the information. We are considering buying a vacation home there, and it's within our price range. We love Cape May, and Villas is nearby and has its own quieter beaches, as well. I appreciate your comments.

Old 01-21-2007, 05:30 PM

1 posts, read 7,742 times
Quote:
It's a slum. Be careful.
NOT TRUE!!!! Many summer residents here and now these people retire here. I grew up in Villas went to the local schools I am very successful professional. The Villas is a lower/middle class town. Don't think the schools are the best but you get out of your education what you put into it.

Old 01-23-2007, 05:34 AM

51 posts, read 173,199 times
Quote:
It's a slum. Be careful.

And how is the Villas a slum?

I moved here from the West Coast in 1986 (was born in Penn. though) and grew up in the Villas. For the longest time, it was strictly blue collar residents, and a halfway decent rental could be had for $500 a month. In the past 5 to 7 years, the area and its real estate has exploded! It's been a good thing to see. Now, don't get me wrong--there were some really rough spots of the town but it has gotten much better.

When it comes to real estate, what is it you are looking for? My grandpop still lives in the Villas; more specifically, the "Cape May Beach" area. That has a nice stretch of real estate on the water (Delaware Bay). Try looking on a map along Bay Drive from it's north end at Wildwood Avenue to right before the "S" curve when it turns into Townbank Rd. (and North Cape May) from Tahoe Drive to Baywyn Road. The main road in the Villas is Bayshore Rd., so you may want to avoid that. Try also looking at the streets names after trees (Pinetree, Oak, etc.).

The schools are not that bad--believe me I've seen much worse. Kindergarten goes to Douglass Memorial behind the former police station (which is now located at the CMC Airport); 1st & 2nd go to Carl Mitnick; 3rd & 4th go to Maud Abrams; 6th & 7th go to Consolidated I think...the Jr. High is Teitelman, which is right behind the high school (Lower Cape May Regional). There is at least one Catholic school in the Villas--St. Raymond's.

Even though I am leaving the state due to high housing costs and some other minor reasons, the Villas is a halfway decent and still affordable area for most. Good luck and enjoy!

Old 06-14-2007, 09:14 PM

1 posts, read 7,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BarbO1999 View Post
NOT TRUE!!!! Many summer residents here and now these people retire here. I grew up in Villas went to the local schools I am very successful professional. The Villas is a lower/middle class town. Don't think the schools are the best but you get out of your education what you put into it.
I also grew up in the Villas and after traveling around the country extensively,believe me there is no place like home!People talking about slums need to take a course in what a real slum is.Unless youv'e been around some of our country's larger cities and have seen true ghettoes and poor families living inside of cardboard boxes in the parks ,then trust me they have no idea what they are talking about.The Villas is a great place to raise kids and as parents if you take an active role in your childs life and schooling then you have nothing to worry about.My own 2 kids are planning to move to the Villas next year so they can have a decent place to raise their kids.My hats off to the Villas!

Old 10-07-2009, 10:10 AM

1 posts, read 5,792 times
I have owned a home in the Villas for 23 years. I live in the Cape May Beach area of the Villas on Tahoe Dr. I have a gorgeous 2 story home with an inground pool. How anyone could call this a slum is beyond me. The homes are beautiful, well kept, and nice people. mostly young couples with families, or retired. I use it just in the summer since the death of my husband, but was always down previously. The area is booming with new homes, and business places. The houses in "my area", give you a lot of bang for your buck. If you like the quiet, but also enjoy the beach its only 5 miles away. The bay is beautiful, and the sunsets are breathtaking. Trust me, its not a slum.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey