U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 04-25-2013, 02:35 PM

136 posts, read 78,611 times
Default Bad sections of Morristown

I am in the Morristown area almost daily and often hear that there are bad parts of Morristown. Can any one give me a specific location? Streets?, area around ____? Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2013, 04:00 PM

42 posts, read 62,782 times
I haven't been there in a few years but areas around downtown - near Blockbuster, if it still exists, seems a bit rough.

Old 04-25-2013, 05:49 PM

1,158 posts, read 1,027,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhsx1187 View Post
I am in the Morristown area almost daily and often hear that there are bad parts of Morristown. Can any one give me a specific location? Streets?, area around ____? Thanks in advance.

There are two very small sections of Morristown that could be considered "bad." And to be honest, we are not talking bad, as in Newark/Irvington/South Bronx, we are talking "bad" as in less that suburban utopia.

The main area is what is known as "the hollow" due to the geography/topography of the area. It is located behind Headquarters Plaza, around Spring and MLK. (Flagler St. Clyde Potts Dr, all of MLK up until you pass Evergreen Cemetary, George St, Abbett St, Mt. Airy, Liberty, Hazel, Garden)

The other area is along Speedwell Ave as you leave the downtown area and head towards Morris Plains. I have to say as a female, I have been in this area quite a bit and never felt "unsafe", it is mostly Hispanic immigrants and much less affluent than other areas of town. This area is going to change soon though, as re development plans have already been approved, and the project started. I'd be careful around Speedwell Park - Lake Pocahontas as that area is known for drugs and gang turf fights.

HTH
KoalaNJ

Old 04-26-2013, 02:08 AM

12,336 posts, read 13,273,059 times
The remain areas are expected to redeveloped by 2017...so they will be erased , same is happening in other Morris&Essex Towns and cities everywhere within 1 mile radius of a station is being redeveloped...

Old 04-26-2013, 09:39 AM

1,847 posts, read 4,199,529 times
I haven been through Morristown in a year or so but I was there frequently before then as I have a client on Ridgedale ave. I cant think of a single area that would be considered bad. Maybe not as pretty as the rest of town but not "bad".

Old 04-26-2013, 12:19 PM

1,099 posts, read 858,822 times
Quote:
There is a section with lots of illegals by Speedwell. They usually commit violence only on one another so not really a problem. Just be careful driving there because they just step right into traffic when they want to cross the street. I would drive along that road to get to Morris Plains to eat dinner at Arthurs and watched many near fatalities because of the jaywalking. There is also an area by MLK that is less desirable so probably want to stay away from there too.

Old 04-27-2013, 02:51 PM

136 posts, read 78,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KoalaNJ View Post
There are two very small sections of Morristown that could be considered "bad." And to be honest, we are not talking bad, as in Newark/Irvington/South Bronx, we are talking "bad" as in less that suburban utopia.

The main area is what is known as "the hollow" due to the geography/topography of the area. It is located behind Headquarters Plaza, around Spring and MLK. (Flagler St. Clyde Potts Dr, all of MLK up until you pass Evergreen Cemetary, George St, Abbett St, Mt. Airy, Liberty, Hazel, Garden)

The other area is along Speedwell Ave as you leave the downtown area and head towards Morris Plains. I have to say as a female, I have been in this area quite a bit and never felt "unsafe", it is mostly Hispanic immigrants and much less affluent than other areas of town. This area is going to change soon though, as re development plans have already been approved, and the project started. I'd be careful around Speedwell Park - Lake Pocahontas as that area is known for drugs and gang turf fights.

HTH
KoalaNJ
Thanks to everyone who responded. I actually drive through both of these areas all the time and have never thought of them a really rough (I always though there was some other area of morristown that I had never been though that people referred to as bad). I could see the area around MLK east of the tracks being considered bad but that bad is nothing compared to elsewhere. And speedwell is absolutely fine it is just full of a lot of hispanics which I guess qualifies someplace as being dangerous. I have driven/walked a number of times in the speedwell area as well as in Speedwell park and never once felt unsafe, although I have never been there after dark. The redevelopment of speedwell phase one is coming along very rapidly as the project by the high school is progressing very rapidly which is nice to see.

Old 04-28-2013, 02:00 PM

11,642 posts, read 20,837,733 times
Quote:
Thanks to everyone who responded. I actually drive through both of these areas all the time and have never thought of them a really rough (I always though there was some other area of morristown that I had never been though that people referred to as bad). I could see the area around MLK east of the tracks being considered bad but that bad is nothing compared to elsewhere. And speedwell is absolutely fine it is just full of a lot of hispanics which I guess qualifies someplace as being dangerous. I have driven/walked a number of times in the speedwell area as well as in Speedwell park and never once felt unsafe, although I have never been there after dark. The redevelopment of speedwell phase one is coming along very rapidly as the project by the high school is progressing very rapidly which is nice to see.
this is very very true. "bad" has to be taken in context in this situation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey