Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2007, 09:00 PM

4,414 posts, read 5,147,018 times

Advertisements

Recently visited Garden State Plaza which is definitely the biggest mall in New Jersey as far as I could see and have a question. The mall seems very upscale which makes sense considering Bergen County's wealth. I have although seen what the ethnic demographics of Bergen County are and they definitely don't reflect what I saw in the mall. Now I did go during a weekday so I guess there shouldn't be to many people coming in from very far away. The only thing I could think of is that since the Bronx doesn't have any real decent retail and considering it's relatively close distance to Paramus(no tax on clothes in NJ) perhaps alot of the folks I saw where from the Bronx. Now I now Bergen county is diverse, but it is not as diverse as what I saw in that mall. Maybe somebody from close to that area might have better insight on this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2007, 07:06 AM

2,689 posts, read 3,963,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanQuest View Post
Recently visited Garden State Plaza which is definitely the biggest mall in New Jersey as far as I could see and have a question. The mall seems very upscale which makes sense considering Bergen County's wealth. I have although seen what the ethnic demographics of Bergen County are and they definitely don't reflect what I saw in the mall. Now I did go during a weekday so I guess there shouldn't be to many people coming in from very far away. The only thing I could think of is that since the Bronx doesn't have any real decent retail and considering it's relatively close distance to Paramus(no tax on clothes in NJ) perhaps alot of the folks I saw where from the Bronx. Now I now Bergen county is diverse, but it is not as diverse as what I saw in that mall. Maybe somebody from close to that area might have better insight on this.
the malls in paramus draw from all over and no inference should be made from th people you saw there, I'd bet that more than half are from out of the area

Old 10-31-2007, 07:24 AM

5,439 posts, read 16,856,876 times
This mall is pretty huge but by no means the biggest in the country (I know you didn't say that, just mentioning)... For some reason i find it so much more tolerable than the one up in Nyack or whatever. Maybe because I grew up going there, was a "mall rat" there, valet parked there, designed their website at one point and watched it expand and expand over the years (and I know where to park!). Yes I think people come from all over. It is quite an easy straight shot from the GW Bridge.

Old 10-31-2007, 07:27 AM

173 posts, read 818,702 times
Minorities in Bergen County??!! Thanks for the warning. Have you written Congress yet?

Old 10-31-2007, 09:40 AM

438 posts, read 964,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gravy Boat View Post
Minorities in Bergen County??!! Thanks for the warning. Have you written Congress yet?
LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL

Old 10-31-2007, 10:13 AM

859 posts, read 3,321,145 times
A lot of people take buses there from Passaic and such. They have every right, no one says you must live in Bergen County to shop at the mall. And on weekends NY-ers come so they don't have to pay tax on clothes.

Plus, there are local minorites. Bergen County isn't all white, that's a stereotype.

Last edited by LittleMissSunshine; 10-31-2007 at 11:09 AM..

Old 10-31-2007, 10:15 AM

2,689 posts, read 3,963,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleMissSunshine View Post
A lot of people take buses there from Passaic and such. They have every right

did anyone say anything different?

Old 10-31-2007, 10:18 AM

859 posts, read 3,321,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by apvbguy View Post
did anyone say anything different?
I just don't understand the point of the thread. I don't understand why it would be odd to see minorities at the GSP or any mall really. There are all racial groups in NJ.

Last edited by LittleMissSunshine; 10-31-2007 at 11:08 AM..

Old 10-31-2007, 10:25 AM

625 posts, read 3,635,145 times
Maybe it's assumed that we don't shop. Instead we steal from others or go to the Salvation Army

Old 10-31-2007, 01:29 PM

47 posts, read 217,847 times
Default Remember?

Does anyone else remember when the Garden State Plaza was still an outside mall? They use to have that huge Santa on the chimney in the parking lot...Bambergers..Thom Mccanns.. and there was always a cart with a guy selling hot pretzels in the winter. good memories. Haven't been there in a while though. I'm glad
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey